Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and HU (Hainan) Partnership CONFIRMED!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DrAlex
Everything you need to know about the Hainan Partnership

Earnings Chart

Click here for Link to Earning Chart

Eligible flight numbers: 0401-0499, 0700-0799, 7000-7999 (subject to change)

*eff 12/19/16 all revenue fare classes earn at least 25%. You can no longer tell how many miles are earned by fare category as some discount fares earn 50% and some 25% its not completely linked to price.

Redemption Chart "Fuel" surcharge applies.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/award-charts

(US to/from Asia & Intra-Asia)

Seat Selection
It's not possible to view your reservation at hainanairlines.com or select your seat online for award bookings. You can contact them by email or phone to assign seats.

North American Gateway Cities (incl non stop destinations)

Boston - PEK, PVG
Chicago - PEK
Los Angeles - CKG, CSX, CTU
New York City - CTU, CKG
Seattle - PEK, PVG
San Jose - PEK
Toronto - PEK
Las Vegas - PEK
Calgary - PEK
Mexico City/Tijuana - PEK
Vancouver - TSN/SZX

Destination Cities in Asia (outside China)
Should be award bookable

Tokyo (HND)
Sapporo (CTS)
Taipei (TPE)
Bangkok (BKK)
Phuket (HKT)
Da Nang (DAD)
Nha Trang (NHA)
Siem Reap (REP)
U-Tapao (UTP)
Sihanoukville (KOS)
Vientiane (VTE)
Chiang Mai (CNX)
Chiang Rai (CEI)
Luang Prabang (LPQ)

Hainan Cities Ouside Asia
NOT award bookable, but AS mileage earning possible (double check flight numbers!)
Tel Aviv
Auckland
Cairns
Brisbane
Sydney
Melbourne
Manchester
Dublin
Edinburgh
Paris (CDG)
Brussels
Prague
Rome
Berlin
Madrid
Moscow
St. Petersburg

Benefits

Business Class Limo Service
Revenue - Yes (C/D/I/Z classes)
Award - No

Special Elite Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS (Gold and Gold 75K):

Complimentary access to the select Hainan VIP Lounge and First Class / Business Class Lounge "This indicates a link to an external site that may not meet accessibility guidelines." locations listed below when holding a current day ticket/boarding pass with at least one Hainan operated international flight segment. Physical or mobile app digital elite tier card required.

Fortune Wings Lounge in Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) Terminal 1
Fortune Wings Lounge in Xi'an Xianyang International Airport (XIY) Terminal 1
Fortune Wings Lounge in Haikou Meilan International Airport (HAK) Terminal 1
HNA Club in Beijing Capital International Airport (PEK) Terminal 2
HNA Club in Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport (CAN) Area B
HNA Club in Ürümqi Diwopu International Airport (URC) Terminal 2
Print Wikipost

AS and HU (Hainan) Partnership CONFIRMED!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
FWIW: HU has had some very attractive business fares over the past few years. And they're lie flat seats on a 787 so should be a solid experience. Even the lowest price business fares earn 100% on AS.
HU tends to have some very attractive fares all around, in particular SEA-HKG. Last year, they could've saved us well over $1000 for our family of four over the next cheapest airline for the trip to HKG, and yet I decided to hold off on HU. I've never flown them and I've nothing against them. I'm sure their soft products are better than US airlines. It's just that I've heard they tend to cancel flights for dubious reasons, and that makes me nervous. Is that an overblown concern?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by evergrn
HU tends to have some very attractive fares all around, in particular SEA-HKG. Last year, they could've saved us well over $1000 for our family of four over the next cheapest airline for the trip to HKG, and yet I decided to hold off on HU. I've never flown them and I've nothing against them. I'm sure their soft products are better than US airlines. It's just that I've heard they tend to cancel flights for dubious reasons, and that makes me nervous. Is that an overblown concern?
Awesome! Is that good fares for both Econ and Biz? I'm maybe sneaking in a trip to HKG in August and it'd be nice to have alternatives to AA for pricing. CX is hard to get a good price, though the product is obviously better. If I can get AA pricing on a CX-quality flight with HU I'm gonna be soooo happy
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I have flown HU SEA to HKG 3 three years ago. Price was good, but be aware that flight delays are common at PEK and PVG (where HU flies from to SEA) due to airport controls or other air space restriction issues. My return flight from HKG to SEA (through PEK) was delayed for over 6 hours as we sat on the PEK tarmac for that long! So you run the risk of missing connections if your final destination is not SEA.

I think HU's soft product is not as good as CX, but CX doesn't serve SEA. If you want to fly SEA to HKG using CX, you need to go through SFO or YVR.

DL now flies SEA-HKG non-stop, but of course its service/product is no match to CX or even HU.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
I have flown HU SEA to HKG 3 three years ago. Price was good, but be aware that flight delays are common at PEK and PVG (where HU flies from to SEA) due to airport controls or other air space restriction issues. My return flight from HKG to SEA (through PEK) was delayed for over 6 hours as we sat on the PEK tarmac for that long! So you run the risk of missing connections if your final destination is not SEA.

I think HU's soft product is not as good as CX, but CX doesn't serve SEA. If you want to fly SEA to HKG using CX, you need to go through SFO or YVR.

DL now flies SEA-HKG non-stop, but of course its service/product is no match to CX or even HU.
I live in Vancouver BC, so SEA/YVR would be my final destination
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Plat, AS 75K, AA Plat, IHG Spire Amb, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold
Just booked Business Fare from SEA to PVG on HU in early August (8/3 to 8/7), for $2,310.

Interesting enough the the booking class is R, but Alaska's earning chart indicates R is First Class and earns 200% EQMs.

Don't know how it's going to turn out, but with the double miles promotion, and my MVP Gold 75K bonus miles, it sure going to get me load of RDMs!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vistaril
Just booked Business Fare from SEA to PVG on HU in early August (8/3 to 8/7), for $2,310.

Interesting enough the the booking class is R, but Alaska's earning chart indicates R is First Class and earns 200% EQMs.

Don't know how it's going to turn out, but with the double miles promotion, and my MVP Gold 75K bonus miles, it sure going to get me load of RDMs!
I was just looking at this fare too, actually. It's wide open and indeed R, that's pretty sweet.

2310.- for 11433*(miles+100%COX+100%bonus+100%MPVG)= 45.7k RDM. 5cpm for a business/"first" flight is real impressive :lol That's like a Buy 1, Get 1 Free, because you'll only need 40k for a free Y-roundtrip to Europe, think of it that way! :P So really, it's 2310-1000
Old Jul 26, 2015, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Not too excited about this particular partnership mostly because of the hassle and cost of needing a Visa to visit China...even on a stopover. I think Japan is a MUCH easier Asia connection and therefore I wish AS would add JL as a partner which is a MUCH more well-known airline here in the US.

I tend to only use international partners for award redemptions rather than mileage runs since so many have reported spending hundreds or thousands of dollars only to find out that their fare code or flight number was not eligible for mileage credit.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Not too excited about this particular partnership mostly because of the hassle and cost of needing a Visa to visit China...even on a stopover. I think Japan is a MUCH easier Asia connection and therefore I wish AS would add JL as a partner which is a MUCH more well-known airline here in the US.

I tend to only use international partners for award redemptions rather than mileage runs since so many have reported spending hundreds or thousands of dollars only to find out that their fare code or flight number was not eligible for mileage credit.
I thought if the stopover was <72h and you're leaving for another country (e.g. HKG), you don't need a visa?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I thought if the stopover was <72h and you're leaving for another country (e.g. HKG), you don't need a visa?
I would still feel uneasy about not having the Visa and they also check Visas before boarding so you run the risk of running into an agent who is unfamiliar with the stopover rule.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

I was thinking about using HU to get to the Japan DO next year...but they don't fly to Japan?
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
I was thinking about using HU to get to the Japan DO next year...but they don't fly to Japan?
Huh? An Asian partner that doesn't fly to Japan?? Great choice....
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by BW Flyer
The only drawback is lower fare brackets for economy class earns less or no miles, just like what you are getting nowadays flying Delta.
Well at least the partnership exists so you can actually credit flights from HU to somewhere useful
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steveman518
Well at least the partnership exists so you can actually credit flights from HU to somewhere useful
Unless you purchase the lowest economy fare (like many of do) in which case it doesn't matter if they are partners or no since you get zero miles.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry

AS doesn't offer much to JL, and AA provides the feed they need at their US Gateways. Doubt this one will see the light. HU won't work for everyone's wishes, but it is better than a kick in the butt.

As for those reporting spending thousands only to find that their fare code wasn't eligible, I wonder how many of those didn't do their homework in the first place. If it isn't in the eligible flight number list, don't book it. The fare codes can be a crapshoot, as not all airlines make it clear which fare bucket is being booked into.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I would still feel uneasy about not having the Visa and they also check Visas before boarding so you run the risk of running into an agent who is unfamiliar with the stopover rule.
Its so common you wont have that issue unless for some reason you are trying to Use Canada or Mexico as the third country.

Although China visa's are 10 years now so I will be getting one anyways

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.