Wiki Posts
Search

Bring back the $99 transcon!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: All of 'em
Bring back the $99 transcon!!!

A couple of years ago when AS launched the SAN <> BOS service, you could book Y class for the promo fare $99ai per way on certain dates, which comes out to 3.8cpm base. I forgot if they also did a double RDM promo as well, I think they did? 'Cause they seem to always do that.

Couple more new transcons coming up in Sep 2015, there's definitely the double RDM promo but the fares aren't quite close to $99 o/w yet.

SEA <> JFK $209 o/w
LAX <> BWI $149 o/w

Think they'll bring back the hundred promo?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by MileageManager
A couple of years ago when AS launched the SAN <> BOS service, you could book Y class for the promo fare $99ai per way on certain dates, which comes out to 3.8cpm base. I forgot if they also did a double RDM promo as well, I think they did? 'Cause they seem to always do that.

Couple more new transcons coming up in Sep 2015, there's definitely the double RDM promo but the fares aren't quite close to $99 o/w yet.

SEA <> JFK $209 o/w
LAX <> BWI $149 o/w

I believe BWI-LAX has been as low as $99 during the flash sales recently, but you need to keep your head up.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:44 am

Programs: AS
Few years back, DL had lots of $99 R/T plus tax ($140ai) from SEA to east coast. I did New Orleans twice and Portland, ME once. Gone are those good old days.

But the ultimate for me in RDM was YVR-MSP-NRT-HNL-LAX-MSP-YVR for about $350ai on NW. Well below 1cpm. Did I mention I got upgraded to J at the gate leaving NRT? Yup champagne and fresh sushi on my way to HNL

What I'm trying to say is that AS metal has never impressed me with cpm/rdm. I had always used NW/DL for my AS mileage accumulation.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I dont see SEA-JFK ever being a 99 each way flight
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by YYZC2
I believe BWI-LAX has been as low as $99 during the flash sales recently, but you need to keep your head up.
It was, just this past Wednesday. Snagged a couple at the time.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by neech7
Few years back, DL had lots of $99 R/T plus tax ($140ai) from SEA to east coast. I did New Orleans twice and Portland, ME once. Gone are those good old days.

But the ultimate for me in RDM was YVR-MSP-NRT-HNL-LAX-MSP-YVR for about $350ai on NW. Well below 1cpm. Did I mention I got upgraded to J at the gate leaving NRT? Yup champagne and fresh sushi on my way to HNL

What I'm trying to say is that AS metal has never impressed me with cpm/rdm. I had always used NW/DL for my AS mileage accumulation.

Too bad we can't do that anymore, probably would get 50% of the miles. True mileage runs from 2015 onwards will need to be on AS or AA.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Too bad we can't do that anymore, probably would get 50% of the miles. True mileage runs from 2015 onwards will need to be on AS or AA.
The airlines are raking in billions in luggage fees while fuel prices have dropped, and yet fares are staying high and FF programs are getting degraded.

I hope something comes out of the recent investigation into collusion and price fixing by the airlines.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Mileage running on AS metal is a tough one and as a former UA elite, it's one of the things I miss about UA....they would not only have random ultra-cheap fares pop up (like the $79ish one way fares they had to DTW...one of my last mileage runs with UA), but they also had enough spread out hubs that allowed for more convoluted itineraries. With AS, at best, you can add a short hop to SEA, but that's about it.

Even with UA's occasional cheap fares and ability to bounce around the hubs, what killed the UA mileage runs (for me) was the switch to the revenue based program. With AS, I can still attain elite status with a relatively low cpm (although not as low as during my UA days without the revenue-based program). The key factor with AS that really brings the cpm down to a reasonable level is....
1) Judicial use of companion certificates (my wife goes with me on almost all mileage runs to keep from only one of us having elite status....we have also tacked on extra segments to one certificate in an effort to bring the cpm down even lower).
2) R fares are your friend Focus on purchasing flights during "fast dash" sales on Wednesdays and ESPECIALLY the cyber Monday sale in November.
3) If there is a route with a DEQM promotion, fly there at least once (even if it's DTW )

So yeah, mileage running on Alaska is a *bit* more difficult from a cpm standpoint, but it's still possible to keep the cpm down to a reasonable 4-5 cent range.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
The airlines are raking in billions in luggage fees while fuel prices have dropped, and yet fares are staying high and FF programs are getting degraded.

I hope something comes out of the recent investigation into collusion and price fixing by the airlines.
The economy is good, why would the airlines drop there prices just to be nice to us flyers?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:35 pm

People here are talking about having gotten $99 each way fares across the country and you're complaining about fares being high? Maybe $99 fares aren't the norm, but they can be had from time to time. It's not expensive to fly as compared to years past, especially when you consider the convenience... as inconvenient as it feels sometimes. The alternatives aren't that great. Just because, once upon a time, you could check two bags, bring along two bags in the cabin, get free food and go all the way across the country for $99, doesn't mean that's something everyone's entitled to forever. The airline industry has always been very cyclical and at times they would make money but never enough to recoup the losses they would incur during the down times. They're a business and they have a right to find a way to make money - if lower fuel prices and baggage fees help them to do that then good. Also, you're complaining about this on a forum that, by it's design, is meant to help frequent flyers figure out how they can get the very most for the very least - something you're now chastising the airlines for doing. I hope you'll all forgive me because I genuinely enjoy most of you here and certainly don't hold it against anyone, but it's a bit hypocritical to expect the airlines to find ways to save you more money given the position many here take on sticking it to the airlines when they can.

Someone mentioned that SEA-JFK is $209 one way. I know nobody here wants to hear this, but back during the mid 80's when $99 coast to coast fares were more common there were a lot more restrictions on your tickets. No changes, if you had to cancel you just lost the money, 14 day advance purchases, etc., etc., etc. Also, a $209 fare today, adjusted for inflation, was about $95 in 1985. The fares haven't risen dramatically, adjusted for inflation - especially the highest fares - those have fallen.

Last edited by AS Flyer; Jul 5, 2015 at 6:41 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by MileageManager

SEA <> JFK $209 o/w
LAX <> BWI $149 o/w

Why would they want to if they're already filling up planes? AS isn't running a charity, and $149 one way fare for a flight over 2000 miles is pretty competitive.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Chugach
Why would they want to if they're already filling up planes? AS isn't running a charity, and $149 one way fare for a flight over 2000 miles is pretty competitive.
149 is the new 99. I'm happy I can still fly transcon for under 300 RT
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry

The unpleasantness of fees, fares and degrading FF programs are not indicative of collusion. Collusion is very difficult to establish, unless someone was stupid/smart enough to have evidence documenting the actions, as opposed to he said, they said stuff.

$99 transcons were wonderful. These days, I'll settle for a $129 transcon. Inflation.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:53 pm

The Feds are the ones investigating the airlines for collusion. Obviously they suspect that something is going on, otherwise why would they launch an investigation?

Let's make one thing clear, I'm not here wanting the Feds looking into this; an investigation is already underway.

Unless you or your family are in the industry, or you have shares in airlines, I don't see why anyone should be an apologist for them. They are raking in billions in luggage fees and change fees (oh that's right, those of you MVPGs can change tickets all you want, but the rest of us mere mortals have to pay through our nose for such privileges). If they play fair that's fine by me, but if they are colluding to rake in the profits, it's against the law and I have no sympathy for law breakers.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by 98103
$99 transcons were wonderful. These days, I'll settle for a $129 transcon. Inflation.
I assume you're talking each way. If $99 transcons were wonderful, then I don't know what you would call those $49 transcons from 7-8 years ago.

How about crossing the Pacific and back for less than $400? I guess that's why I don't do MR anymore. After scoring those kind of fares, it's hard for me to get excited about 'deals' these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.