Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

My account got shut down after getting the sign-up bonus?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My account got shut down after getting the sign-up bonus?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jchilders
It really depends on exactly what you intend to do (how many transfers, how many BofA cards, etc). It sounds like you want to open just one SPG and one Visa (where you'll pay the fee), which shouldn't raise any alarms at all.

Bear in mind that these stories, while they not be 'fabricated', are presented from just one perspective. People leave out lots of important details in situations like these, sometimes without even thinking about it.

Also note that there's been more than a little of what I'd classify as borderline "concern trolling" going on, and falling for it can end up scaring you away from a nice vacation.
Well got approved for both cards. I only intent on transferring the bonus (25K) from SPG. But yes, I only intent on having one of each card and pay the annual fee (and keep open) the Alaska card. Main goal is to get 62500 miles for CX J so I can fly JNB-US.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jchilders
Always makes me sad when someone rolls their eyes at the suggestion of ethical behavior.
AS selling fake currency to bank which in turn uses it as marketing tool to attract a customer who later finds out that his/her account is closed and fake currency gone. In the meantime bank managers get bonuses for new cc accounts opened and the airline gets the $ from bank.
Just ethics galore...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Well got approved for both cards. I only intent on transferring the bonus (25K) from SPG. But yes, I only intent on having one of each card and pay the annual fee (and keep open) the Alaska card. Main goal is to get 62500 miles for CX J so I can fly JNB-US.
Then I'd be shocked if you had any problem. Hope it works out!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder
It's called E-T-H-I-C-A-L B-E-H-A-V-I-O-R. It is not normal behavior to apply for the same cc four times in order to receive a sign up bonus four times over. I noted that there is an onus on BoA to review its procedures because surely they should not be permitting such multiple card approvals in the first place. (Is it normal to have four of the same credit cards in your wallet?)

My point is that AS has decided it does not want as a member someone whose ethics are specious at best. AS can decide who to permit to be members of the program, and in this case OP has breached the ethical standards AS expects of its members. Look at the fine print of all FF programs. The miles in our accounts are not ours, they belong to the airline operating the program and can be taken away at any time for cause.

I would expect AS has also instructed B0A to tighten up on its own practices because giving four cards to the same person during the same period of time is not normal, nor should it be permissible.

What a shock to come across a company that has a moral base and is willing to act on its own principles and standards of acceptable, ethical behavior. (As for those bloggers, they are pimps who counsel such questionable behavior and take their commissions with few qualms.)
There is no moral base when a company's actions significantly benefit their financial position. If the action caused financial harm, but was done because it was the right thing to do, then you have a point. It is clear that this action was not motivated by ethics, but rather by paying attention to the bottom line.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by freyguy50
It is clear that this action was not motivated by ethics, but rather by paying attention to the bottom line.
Not only is that not "clear," it is not supported by the facts.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
Not only is that not "clear," it is not supported by the facts.
The topic of 'ethics of churning credit cards' is a better fit for OMNI. Here and on cc subforum we should probably stick to practical aspects...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by azepine00
The topic of 'ethics of churning credit cards' is a better fit for OMNI. Here and on cc subforum we should probably stick to practical aspects...
Challenging inaccurate information is a good fit for all forums.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by dayone
Silliness.

The average profit per passenger per flight, including ancillary fees, is about $5. If a mileage runner is on a cheaper fare or is not paying for a bag, seat or change, s/he is revenue but not profit.
What about passengers traveling for real reasons, on a cheaper fare, not paying for checked bags, seat, or change? That describes just about all of my travel.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Shareholder
It's called E-T-H-I-C-A-L B-E-H-A-V-I-O-R. It is not normal behavior to apply for the same cc four times in order to receive a sign up bonus four times over.
What does "ethical" have to do with "normal"?

It certainly isn't "normal" to walk up all the steepest streets in San Francisco in one trip (I don't know anyone other than me who has done that), but you anybody suggest there's anything unethical about doing so?

It isn't normal to buy 3 different $12 items at a store in 3 separate credit card transactions, but I don't see anything unethical about doing so.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sethb
What about passengers traveling for real reasons, on a cheaper fare, not paying for checked bags, seat, or change? That describes just about all of my travel.
Airlines need people to take up the cheaper seats so they can charge high fares to those with OPM who absolutely have to fly and will pay whatever is charged
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shut down Still going on

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...281#msg1201281

See post 389 on July 9th.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 3:28 pm

From a guy who says his mother got 150k miles (6 cards? ) from sign-up bonuses in March and which the cards are already closed... So most likely fully or partially refunded annual fees too
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some people dont know how to constrain themselves. The inevitable outcome is they ruin the good things for everybody.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:32 pm

Does anyone know what the new guidelines And best way to proceed w as cards? Can u apply for a biz and reg on the same day and be ok?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beachboys90210
Does anyone know what the new guidelines And best way to proceed w as cards? Can u apply for a biz and reg on the same day and be ok?
Business and personal should be fine. Its the avoidence in paying the annual fees seems to be what is getting people

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.