Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Mrs' flights to BA or AS?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Credit Mrs' flights to BA or AS?

I credit my flights to AS, of course. And I get something between 50k and 60k EQM every year, which gets me to MVPG. The main portion of that is some long haul partner flights, which Mrs doesn't fly, so if I credit her flights to AS, she won't get MVPG (maybe she would get MVP, but that alone is not that useful).

Currently we credit all her AS and oneworld partner flights (mainly AA) to BA. The reasons are:
1. I sometimes fly some short KA flights and also credit to BA, family account can put our BA miles together, and BA is good for short haul awards.
2. Diversity.

But recently I noticed that AA flights started to get only 50% while credit to BA, we learned that the hard way with SFO-MIA-SXM roundtrip.

Should we continue to credit her miles to BA, or should we switch her to AS as well? My main concern is that the small amount of AS miles in one account will be hard to use, and we can't pool her miles to my account.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by fishywang
I credit my flights to AS, of course. And I get something between 50k and 60k EQM every year, which gets me to MVPG. The main portion of that is some long haul partner flights, which Mrs doesn't fly, so if I credit her flights to AS, she won't get MVPG (maybe she would get MVP, but that alone is not that useful).

Currently we credit all her AS and oneworld partner flights (mainly AA) to BA. The reasons are:
1. I sometimes fly some short KA flights and also credit to BA, family account can put our BA miles together, and BA is good for short haul awards.
2. Diversity.

But recently I noticed that AA flights started to get only 50% while credit to BA, we learned that the hard way with SFO-MIA-SXM roundtrip.

Should we continue to credit her miles to BA, or should we switch her to AS as well? My main concern is that the small amount of AS miles in one account will be hard to use, and we can't pool her miles to my account.
Prepare for disappointment crediting BA flights to AS unless you fly a lot of F/J or expensive Y...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ed-4-26-a.html

It sounds like she's in the 5 digits of miles per year ("maybe she would get MVP"- so more than 10k, sometimes less than 20k?). I would happily trade you 3,000-6,000 Avios (a lot of cheap Y fares will credit at 25-50%) for 10,000 AS miles, even if it wasn't in a consolidated account.

Also, MVP gives a 50% RDM bonus... comparable tier on BA or AA is 25%.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 26, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Prepare for disappointment crediting BA to AS unless you fly a lot of F/J or expensive Y...
We actually haven't flied BA metal yet. Currently it's only AA, and we are going to fly CX (Y+) later this year (I flied CX last year, but she didn't)
Old May 26, 2015, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We actually haven't flied BA metal yet. Currently it's only AA, and we are going to fly CX (Y+) later this year (I flied CX last year, but she didn't)
AS flights won't credit very well to BA.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...-avios/flights

Economy (lowest) H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, R, U

25% of flown miles
Old May 26, 2015, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

What's the new structure of crediting AS to BA? BA website refuses to show it to me right now (some server issue, I guess)

Also, how do you use ~30k AS miles in an account? I can top that with some SPG points, but abandoning BA also means that the only destination for all our CSP points would be Hyatt points.
Old May 26, 2015, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Now BA's website works for me. The new structure of AS metal credit to BA is:
25%: H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, R, U
50%: B, M
100%: Y, S

Yes that's pretty bad. Looks like we should switch. Maybe topping her AS account with some SPG points is the only way to go.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the new structure of crediting AS to BA? BA website refuses to show it to me right now (some server issue, I guess)

Also, how do you use ~30k AS miles in an account? I can top that with some SPG points, but abandoning BA also means that the only destination for all our CSP points would be Hyatt points.
Chase? Chase is transferrable to KE or SQ these days...
Old May 26, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Chase? Chase is transferrable to KE or SQ these days...
But KE and SQ are also... not that easy to use.

Anyway, just called AS to change Mrs' FF# from BA to AS on our upcoming AS reservations
Old May 26, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But KE and SQ are also... not that easy to use.

Anyway, just called AS to change Mrs' FF# from BA to AS on our upcoming AS reservations
SQ's not terrible, KE is pretty terrible.

And yeah, my daughter flies infrequently enough that it was nice crediting to BA... but 100% of something is better than 25% of the same something (miles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.