AF/KL accrual rate change

Old May 8, 2015, 6:38 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
AF/KL accrual rate change

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ir-france.aspx

Voyager (Economy): Earn 25% of actual flight miles* flown in T, E, N, V, R, or G classes of service. Earn 50% of actual flight miles* in H, L, or Q classes of service. Earn 75% of actual flight miles* in U or K. Earn actual flight miles* in Y, B, or M classes of service.

Premium Voyager (Premium Economy): Earn actual flight miles* flown in A classof service. Earn actual flight miles* flown in W or S classes of service, plus 25% Bonus Miles.

Affaires (Business): Earn actual flight miles* flown in J, C, D, I, or Z classes of service, plus 25% Bonus Miles.

La Premiere (First): Earn actual flight miles* flown in P or F classes of service, plus 50% Bonus Miles.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...tners/klm.aspx

Economy Class Cabin: Earn 25% of actual flight miles* flown in T, E, N, V, R, or G classes of service. Earn 50% of actual flight miles* in H, L, Q, S, or A classes of service. Earn 75% of actual flight miles* in U, K, or W. Earn actual flight miles* in Y, B, or M classes of service.

Business Class Cabin: Earn actual flight miles* flown in J, C, D, I or Z classes of service, plus 25% Bonus Miles.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Wow, it's a slaughter on the partner cheap economy fare front. AF, AM, BA, CX, DL, EK, KE, KL, none of them give 100% on cheap fares.

That leaves AA, FJ, LA, QF as full EQM partners oon cheap fares...
Old May 8, 2015, 6:52 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
They did move some from the No Earning list to the 25% list ... but yes, overall, its pretty rough.
Old May 8, 2015, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I bet within the next year AS metal goes the same direction
Old May 8, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
I almost booked an AF flight instead of DL (for extra $) this morning. Glad I didn't.

I was wondering when this was going to happen, to be honest. FB members only get 25% for the flights we used to receive 100% on.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Premium economy is a bump over the past. Was only 110% before so this is good news for me.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Ouch. I guess the glory days of frequent flyer programs really are coming to an end. Welcome to the future folks.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

What others do we need to watch out for

This is becoming a bit depressing. But KL/AF probably were influenced by...DL. That's my guess as they are in a JV.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Wow, it's a slaughter on the partner cheap economy fare front. AF, AM, BA, CX, DL, EK, KE, KL, none of them give 100% on cheap fares.

That leaves AA, FJ, LA, QF as full EQM partners oon cheap fares...
My fantasy: AA and AS draw a line in the sand and pledge to keep full EQM earning regardless of fare class, AS joins OneWorld and starts reciprocal upgrades with AA, completely cutting all ties with DL and other SkyTeam partners.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Premium economy is a bump over the past. Was only 110% before so this is good news for me.
Now equal to business class
Old May 9, 2015, 12:27 am

Anyone remember what the old mileage accrual rate was for KLM/AF?
Old May 9, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by CDKing
I bet within the next year AS metal goes the same direction
I doubt it. (read:I hope not) None of the US carriers have reduced eqm earnings. It would make them less competitive.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Sounder
I guess the glory days of frequent flyer programs really are coming to an end. Welcome to the future folks.
As behavior influencers for most people, FF programs are an ever-more-minor factor.

If you're buying discount economy from the west coast to Europe and Icelandair is $400 less than BA/KL/AF/etc., as it often is, would you take the cheap ticket -- or the AS miles? When you're talking about 10,000 EQMs (abd more RDMs for MVP and higher), I'm influenced to take BA/KL/AF. When the "carrot" is a mere 25% of that, the hell with it -- I'll fly Icelandair and pocket the savings.

The whole point of these programs is to drive loyal buying behavior among the broad middle of frequent flyers. The lowest tier of customers will always go for cheap, and the highest tier will usually go for schedule / nonstops / convenience. The rest of us in the middle can be persuaded to buy loyally, pay more and / or accept suboptimal itineraries, in return for FF status and rewards.

But the airlines are intent on blowing up that model and driving most everyone to just look for the cheapest possible ticket, which in the long run can't be good for them. An awful lot of marginal revenue comes from (or used to come from) customers spending more than necessary to book their "preferred" carrier. But no carrot, no sale.

This is what happens when competition and options decline to the point where the airlines can operate like inescapable public utilities. They figure they don't have to reward most people for choosing them because there's less choice, fewer options, and so much less capacity, and much of the time they're right.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:46 am

The silver lining in all of these coach eqm reductions is that international business class fares are very affordable now. I have purchased several business class tickets from the west coast to Europe this year - all between $1320-$1750.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by flytoeat
...international business class fares are very affordable now.
Not as a rule. They can be if you hit a mystic trifecta of travel date, destination, and advance-purchase period. I'm looking for fall tickets to the UK and the only business class offers under $3,000 are on Icelandair, whose Saga Class is not really business class at all -- most tariffs are $5k-$6k.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.