Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNU-SEA RT $190! Amazing!!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by BiggAW
With the exception of the FAI-ANC route, there isn't competition from the highway or trains. That being said, if I lived in ANC or FAI, I'd go to the other by rail or by car, not by plane, since car is just about as fast.
Now I know you're joking. Anchorage-Fairbanks is a six hour drive on a good day, meaning no bad weather and no construction. Worse yet, it's a twelve hour train ride on the Alaska Railroad, never mind that the train runs once per week nine months of the year.

In no physical universe that we as humans presently occupy is a six hour drive or twelve hour train ride less than 45 minutes in the air, even after you factor in two hours at the airport.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jchilders
Ah, I see what this is. Quick check of your past FT activity confirms it. Bye.
Absolutely, jchilders, you called it.

Now if only others would stop "feeding" it, it might go away ...
Old May 22, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by Chugach
Now I know you're joking. Anchorage-Fairbanks is a six hour drive on a good day, meaning no bad weather and no construction. Worse yet, it's a twelve hour train ride on the Alaska Railroad, never mind that the train runs once per week nine months of the year.
I wouldn't take the train if I were trying to get there quickly. Just took it today, incredible ride though.

In no physical universe that we as humans presently occupy is a six hour drive or twelve hour train ride less than 45 minutes in the air, even after you factor in two hours at the airport.
You're not going to beat the airplane in a car, unless you're going to Palmer or Wasilla or something. But to be fair, FAI-ANC, you have to add 10-15 minutes to get to the airport, 2 hours at the airport, the flight (call it an hour, the jets can beat that by about 5 minutes, the turboprops are over it by about 5), time to get off said plane and get a rental car, and then another 10-15 minutes to drive to wherever it is you're actually going. So that's close to 4 hours door to door vs 6 to drive in your own car and come and go whenever you please. At that point, there really isn't a decision. The car is the only way that makes sense.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Absolutely, jchilders, you called it.

Now if only others would stop "feeding" it, it might go away ...
Done.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by BiggAW
I wouldn't take the train if I were trying to get there quickly. Just took it today, incredible ride though.

You're not going to beat the airplane in a car, unless you're going to Palmer or Wasilla or something. But to be fair, FAI-ANC, you have to add 10-15 minutes to get to the airport, 2 hours at the airport, the flight (call it an hour, the jets can beat that by about 5 minutes, the turboprops are over it by about 5), time to get off said plane and get a rental car, and then another 10-15 minutes to drive to wherever it is you're actually going. So that's close to 4 hours door to door vs 6 to drive in your own car and come and go whenever you please. At that point, there really isn't a decision. The car is the only way that makes sense.
6 hours is optimistic if you encounter winter conditions or the other season known as construction

If not checking a bag (or even if so) an hour before departure is reasonable for a flight to FAI- and if flying 7H there is no TSA either (so less time required).

If its a full car driving can make costs go down, but especially for ANC-FAI, flying seemingly speeds up the pace.

Of course if flying you skip visiting skinny...
Old May 23, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
If its a full car driving can make costs go down, but especially for ANC-FAI, flying seemingly speeds up the pace.

Of course if flying you skip visiting skinny...
Oh my ... ! Skinny's is an absolute legend.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:34 pm

Oh my ... ! Skinny's is an absolute legend.
who/what is Skinny? I may have to rent a car on a layover sometime to check this out.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The locals in Ketchikan seem happy about the AS-DL price war, my waitress here at the Landing is planning a trip to Seattle...
Old May 23, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
who/what is Skinny? I may have to rent a car on a layover sometime to check this out.
Off topic, but ...

You didn't hear this from me. Me? I'm a matronly professional woman who's live in Alaska for decades and at one point used to drive back and forth to Fairbanks twice each month.

Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn website.

Skinny Dick's Trip Advisor page.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:31 pm

Off topic, but ...

You didn't hear this from me. Me? I'm a matronly professional woman who's live in Alaska for decades and at one point used to drive back and forth to Fairbanks twice each month.

Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn website.

Skinny Dick's Trip Advisor page.
Oh my, thanks for that I'll have to check it out sometime when I have a little time to kill in ANC, and feel like going for a drive
Old May 23, 2015, 9:35 pm

Oh my, thanks for that I'll have to check it out sometime when I have a little time to kill in ANC, and feel like going for a drive
I'd suggest FAI since it's only 30 miles away, opposed to 330 from ANC
Old May 23, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, SkyPesos, whatever flies where I want to go.
Originally Posted by beckoa
If not checking a bag (or even if so) an hour before departure is reasonable for a flight to FAI- and if flying 7H there is no TSA either (so less time required).
We were comparing AS to driving.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

I'd suggest FAI since it's only 30 miles away, opposed to 330 from ANC
Chugach is correct - the "Halfway" in the dive's name is relative to Nenana and Fairbanks, not Anchorage and Fairbanks.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
AS 66 today for the JNU-SEA leg: 54/132. Everyone gets their own row.

I'd say ouch and go but I love sub-$200 r/t fares to Alaska too much...
Old May 27, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS 66 today for the JNU-SEA leg: 54/132. Everyone gets their own row.

I'd say ouch and go but I love sub-$200 r/t fares to Alaska too much...
That flight is also normally a combi, so you got a lucky upgauge.

So... 54 out of 72 isn't a bad load on that flight. I've never EVER seen that plane full unless there's something going on in Cordova or Yakutat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.