JNU-SEA RT $190! Amazing!!

Old May 6, 2015, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Nice! Just as I was wondering what to do over Memorial Day, I now tentatively got myself a weekend trip to ANC for $220

Having only been to ANC once as the starting point for a road trip to Denali... what's there to do at the end of May? Kenai peninsula, maybe? Off to Google
I ended up doing SEA-KTN//SIT-JNU-SEA for the same amount over Memorial Day weekend, with an overnight on the MV Matanuska to get me from point A to point B.

It was cheaper than a hotel room.
I've done the redeye KTN-WRG before for the same reason
Old May 6, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I haven't heard this, do you have more information? Last I heard AS owned their own approaches, and giving them to DL would improve their competitors on-time performance. I'm sure AS would prefer that they were more reliable than DL. Curious as I figured it would be a matter of time before DL either got their own or figured out a way to use Alaska's if DL was serious about JNU.
The information isn't necessarily proprietary to Alaska - they and the US Dept of Defense are "co owners" of the technology; other parties have to buy in to use it. It is merely the wind data on top of the peaks up and down the channel and a few other places. Until Delta joins the program, they will have some restrictions on runway 8 departures or coming in on 26 through the channel.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:02 am

interestingly it's not just DL-if you decide to do SEA-ANC RT with the outbound the last two weekends of may or the first weekend of june, B6 is offering trips as low at $171 AI
Old May 7, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
The information isn't necessarily proprietary to Alaska - they and the US Dept of Defense are "co owners" of the technology; other parties have to buy in to use it. It is merely the wind data on top of the peaks up and down the channel and a few other places. Until Delta joins the program, they will have some restrictions on runway 8 departures or coming in on 26 through the channel.
The weather data isn't limited to AS (actually thought that it was freely available,) but the approaches are/were for AS use only I thought.

Roughly 10% of all instrument approaches that AS does into JNU would have diverted if it weren't for their RNP approaches.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by sueinjuneau
DL is for tourists. It's for tor those who do not know the complicated JNU approach and takeoff scenarios - for those who have never sat through an aborted takeoff on a contaminated runway knowing that this is the worst runway-eating procedure possible at JNU.

I want an AS pilot and crew in AS-equipped metal flying me in and out of JNU.

But I do like paying $190, while it lasts. Might be a short-term Mark Air-type arrangement. Unless they can fly enough tourists.
Agreed! I've had some super wicked flights in and out of JNU over the years, and I want experienced AS crew in the cockpit.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:40 am

Is that JAWS you're talking about?
Old May 7, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by Kaphias
Is that JAWS you're talking about?
It is, but the approaches to use them in a 121 environment were done by Alaska and the Air Force, so AS/DOD "own" them per se - just like how Air Wisconsin "owned" the approaches into Aspen and was able to sell them to Skywest.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just noticed DL is around $200 one-way for FIRST between SEA-JNU and $185 one-way for SEA-ANC....thought AS might match but the lowest they go is $498. Even AS loyal flyers are going to have a hard time passing up first class fares that low, especially when you get a 25% mileage bonus into your AS account when flying those DL flights.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Just noticed DL is around $200 one-way for FIRST between SEA-JNU and $185 one-way for SEA-ANC....thought AS might match but the lowest they go is $498. Even AS loyal flyers are going to have a hard time passing up first class fares that low, especially when you get a 25% mileage bonus into your AS account when flying those DL flights.
Tempting, but some of us are purists.

Plus, if you credit any DL (or other partner miles) for EQMs, then you would have to fly an extra 10K miles to make Gold - or an extra 15K miles to make Gold75K.

That may make sense for those people who fly long-haul international routes on partners and credit to AS, but it doesn't make sense for those of us who fly primarily AS on shorter haul domestic routes. It would a lot harder to hit 90K on short haul flights alone, combining AS with DL or partners.

In my case, those ANC-SEA trips on AS carry lots of EQM value.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: TK Gold, Alitalia Gold, AB Gold, MPC, SPG Gold, IHG, Marriott Silvr, BW Plat, AA, BA, JP
Thanks OP for posting this deal....Planning my first trip to Alaska, wondering if this is doable---? Arriving KTN from SEA on Alaska Air at 8.43 am, taking same day 11 am ferry from KTN to JNU....is there sufficient time?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by sunnyzip
Thanks OP for posting this deal....Planning my first trip to Alaska, wondering if this is doable---? Arriving KTN from SEA on Alaska Air at 8.43 am, taking same day 11 am ferry from KTN to JNU....is there sufficient time?
Should be plenty of time assuming you aren't delayed arriving in KTN.
Old May 12, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

The only reason I'm not booking Delta is the stupid bag fees. Otherwise, Delta's service compared to Alaska is much better out of here - ie seatback tvs with free movies, 2 choices of entrees in First Class, a curtain they actually close between F/Y. Alaska is a GOOD airline - don't get me wrong - but Delta has a better hard product.
I fly DL almost exclusively on A and P fares since moving to FL last July (all booked to AS of course ) and wanted to share my experiences on what you posted about DL hard product.

Looks like DL flies the 737-800 between SEA-JNU and should be noted not all 738's have seat back entertainment. Looking at some dates in mid June and some of the flights only have shared overhead entertainment (DL's website does a great job of letting you know the amenities on a particular flight). Their 737-800's are on the older side and in need of a refurb IMO (DL in general has some old dingy aircraft out there but I digress).

I don't know about the SEA-Alaska routes but the 2 choices of meals are not always hot on the routes I have taken (always at least one). Some cold salad options recently and in the past including PDX-ATL last week. Food is palatable but often I don't partake if there is something better in the airport. Snack basket is mostly carb junk that is bad for you.

Service is almost always good with full PDB and have never had a service complaint I can remember. On many of their single aisle planes (excluding 757's) you get the same throng of economy passengers using the F bathroom despite the curtain. On flights where I have looked the curtain is a sheer curtain that usually isn't even closed all the way and just dangles there 3/4 closed. I have never recalled a FA announcement reminding passengers to use restroom in coach nor seen a FA send an economy passenger away from the F restroom.

Here was an overnight flight on a 737-900 PDX-ATL last year (there were 2 more behind them):

Old May 12, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by missamo80
I just did a quick search for fun and see $95 each way for the entire month of June, except for SEA-JUN on June 5th. Crazy!

Neil
The AS low fare calendar is showing $95 fares each way for the entire summer (through August).
Old May 14, 2015, 12:08 pm

For funsies I just did a dummy booking on Delta for 5/15, tomorrow's inaugural flight KTN-SEA. $400 o/w with plenty of seats available on the seat map.

AS is similarly priced at $400 o/w for all 3 non-stop flights
Old May 14, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by CBear
For funsies I just did a dummy booking on Delta for 5/15, tomorrow's inaugural flight KTN-SEA. $400 o/w with plenty of seats available on the seat map.

AS is similarly priced at $400 o/w for all 3 non-stop flights
Completely anecdotal data on my part, but bookings on DL seem to be stronger to SIT than KTN so far.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.