Old May 3, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Nexus
AS 76 - Emergency landing at YVR

http://globalnews.ca/news/1977030/u-...-in-vancouver/
Old May 3, 2015, 8:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I like how the photo in the story is a file photo of an Air Canada Airbus.

Neil
Old May 3, 2015, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Always concerned about this happening, but usually don't have my passport with me. Having flown over Canada over hundreds of times I've never stepped foot in Canada...yet.

Last edited by beckoa; May 3, 2015 at 9:52 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Always concerned about this happening, but usually don't have my passport with me. Having flown over Canada over hundreds of times I've never stepped foot in Canada...yet.
They are a just and friendly people who love good beer and good hockey.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
and this is *exactly* why I always fly with my passport - domestic flight or not. Who knows when we have to divert to Whitehorse (instead of getting to Juneau).
Old May 3, 2015, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
and this is *exactly* why I always fly with my passport - domestic flight or not. Who knows when we have to divert to Whitehorse (instead of getting to Juneau).
Anyone know AS' contingency for something like this? Would they let you off the a/c and allow you to continue the journey? Just curious.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Anyone know AS' contingency for something like this? Would they let you off the a/c and allow you to continue the journey? Just curious.
I'm guessing in this case, the passengers were just offloaded into the transborder terminal, which for CBP purposes, is part of the United States.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:08 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I think this depends if the passengers are admissible into Canada.

I recently dealt with an AC station manager in Incheon Seoul Korea that was dealing with 22 mis connects as a result of a delayed flight. She had mentioned that AC had to accommodate an inadmissible passenger into Korea in the transit hotel on the secure side since they couldn't enter Korea. Everyone else got hotels.

It probably also depends how long it would take to get the replacement aircraft there. SEA->YVR isn't too long. . .
Old May 4, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: AS
After a 4hr delay, it looks like the flight eventually reached Seattle.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
I'm guessing in this case, the passengers were just offloaded into the transborder terminal, which for CBP purposes, is part of the United States.
...as for YXY or other smaller airports?

Interesting to think about.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)

I am shocked and disappointed in you, becoa. If you are ever stuck in YVR (and they allow you in ), I'll put you up.

As Chugach says,

Originally Posted by Chugach
We are a just and friendly people who love good beer and good hockey.
Fixed that for you.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:46 am

...as for YXY or other smaller airports?
Interesting to think about.
I suspect Canada would be very accommodating; to enter Canada you need proof of citizenship and govt issued photo ID. However, they generally also want to see the required paperwork required to go home (which is a passport for a US citizen entering the US).

I suspect the USA wouldn't know what the heck to do with the people.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Originally Posted by CZBB
I suspect the USA wouldn't know what the heck to do with the people.
They don't....I am not sure I would be to happy in this spot

http://globalnews.ca/news/1211447/ca...ng-in-montana/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.