Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Account Suspensions/Closures on Accusations of Fraud/Brokering

Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
With all honesty, respect, and sincerity (so please don't take it the wrong way)... I would also have someone who is a native English speaker proofread and edit your written correspondence to AS.

As unfortunate as it is, the quality of grammar in your previous correspondence and in your posts here would probably raise a red flag to whoever was reading your message.

Again, my statement is written in the spirit of maximizing your chances of a positive outcome, nothing more. Good luck.
I agree with the above. I would also raise the issue as part of your explanation to AS - that is, you are not a native English speaker, and in your conversation with AS, they may have "warned you" (or told you) not to book a ticket for your friend. Then you did that. Because you are not a native English speaker, there is a lot of opportunity for misunderstanding - on both ends of the conversation.

I agree that it is best to be honest with them, and ask them to re-instate everything - but do make sure they know you could have misunderstood the details of previous conversation (and you should say that if you did misunderstand, you apologize for that).

Good luck.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
.. The Australians are taking up what little premium cabin space there is between US and Australia.
Would that be on Australian aircraft, given AS does not fly the route?
Or DL aircraft?
Awards come out of same bucket as far as I am aware.
Other carriers on the route, UA and VA are not AS partners last time I looked.
I have read negative comments about AA and AS ff’ers taking some awards on Australian aircraft on the USA – Australian route.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
This thread makes me nervous. I live on the east coast so I haven't flown AS metal yet as I can't get flights along my normal routes even with mixed metal. We're going to be booking flights to the west coast next year on AS metal, but in the meantime I have miles from AS BOA Visa and SPG transfers that I was hoping to use to book a one way award ticket for me and for Mr. Floridagal (together). I've been crediting EK flights to Alaska, too. Any concerns?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AS gold
I do not think the issues in this thread should concern you, as they pertain to a complicated issue, where the miles were purchased and used in a way that is similar to a fraudulent pattern identified by AS.

For you, the only issue would appear to be whether AS has made frequent flyer seats available on the dates and routes you want to fly. If these flights include transcons from NYC or FLA, the FF seats can be scarce especially in the summer, around the holidays, and in First Class. It would be prudent to try to book these seats 10-11 months in advance and to be as flexible as possible.

I would definitely not transfer any more SPG points to AS until you know the seats are going to be there.

Last edited by macfadsj; Apr 29, 2015 at 10:57 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by macfadsj
I do not think the issues in this thread should concern you, as they pertain to a complicated issue, where the miles were purchased and used in a way that is similar to a fraudulent pattern identified by AS.

For you, the only issue appear to be whether AS has made frequent flyer seats available on the dates and routes you want to fly. If these flights include transcons from NYC or FLA, the FF seats can be scarce especially in the summer, around the holidays, and in First Class. It would be prudent to try to book these seats 10-11 months in advance and to be as flexible as possible.

I would definitely not transfer any more SPG points to AS until you know the seats are going to be there.
Thanks - the flights would be to South Africa. If I don't use the miles for this trip by the time his starpoints transfer (we have backup award tickets in place but Alaska had a better itinerary through BA) we would just use the miles for tickets to asia next year with flexible travel dates.

I will have to purchase some miles to top off the accounts and potentially transfer his SPG points from his Alaska account to mine to do it all as one transaction, rather than book 1 award from each account. But the itinerary is much easier on us so that purchasing some miles might be worth it in our case.

So..you can see why I'm nervous..to the point where I will probably hang on to our other award tickets right up to the redeposit deadlines just in case.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:27 am

Have you noted the exorbitant fuel surcharges AS will impose on BA tickets to Africa? Could easily be close to $1000 per ticket, depending on class of service.
I would test a few itineraries to see what they might be.

Might be better to investigate flying Air France or KLM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Have you noted the exorbitant fuel surcharges AS will impose on BA tickets to Africa? Could easily be close to $1000 per ticket, depending on class of service.
I would test a few itineraries to see what they might be.

Might be better to investigate flying Air France or KLM.
Thanks. So we have booked the flights on AF for the trip there, but it will take us 4 flights to get to Cape Town (US to London, 8 hour layover, to Paris to JNB to Cape Town, all segments in business) and if I am able to book the BA award, it would take it down to 3 flights with minimal layovers (US to London to Cape Town, ideally, but likely US to London to JNB to Cape Town).

We had to position to AF flight from London so the fees were in the $500 range anyway.

Nothing is available through Delta at least on KLM in business and we didn't have enough points for the award on KLM outright.

So there we have it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:09 pm

Given all of these connections, it might also be worth it to investigate using AS miles on Cathay Pacific through HKG to JNB. More time in the air, but 140K AS miles will get your F space to HKG and back, and J space HKG-JNB. Many regard this as the most generous FF award in the industry right now.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:56 pm

Given all of these connections, it might also be worth it to investigate using AS miles on Cathay Pacific through HKG to JNB. More time in the air, but 140K AS miles will get your F space to HKG and back, and J space HKG-JNB. Many regard this as the most generous FF award in the industry right now.
Thank you. I did have them manually check this some weeks ago though only premium economy was available. I was reluctant to disturb this as we snagged a great award on the return. I will call and check again.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:57 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by floridagal23
Thanks - the flights would be to South Africa. If I don't use the miles for this trip by the time his starpoints transfer (we have backup award tickets in place but Alaska had a better itinerary through BA) we would just use the miles for tickets to asia next year with flexible travel dates.

I will have to purchase some miles to top off the accounts and potentially transfer his SPG points from his Alaska account to mine to do it all as one transaction, rather than book 1 award from each account. But the itinerary is much easier on us so that purchasing some miles might be worth it in our case.

So..you can see why I'm nervous..to the point where I will probably hang on to our other award tickets right up to the redeposit deadlines just in case.
A couple things:

Once the SPG points are in his Alaska account, you can't transfer them without a fee. Its honestly not that much more expensive just to buy them outright.

But there is nothing wrong with booking them on separate itineraries either.

If your plan is as you say, there is really nothing to be nervous about.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
A couple things:

Once the SPG points are in his Alaska account, you can't transfer them without a fee. Its honestly not that much more expensive just to buy them outright.

But there is nothing wrong with booking them on separate itineraries either.

If your plan is as you say, there is really nothing to be nervous about.
Many thanks.
Old May 5, 2015, 2:43 pm

Alaska Airlines Steals 150k miles from me?

Hey all,

Long time lurker, never felt the need to create an account up until now though because I felt it was my duty to report this so that no other people get screwed by Alaska Air like I did.

I read a few threads where some Australian person gets his account closed because he bought miles and there was some influx of fraudulant people buying accounts and committing credit card fraud, so his account was closed as well.

I'm not from Australia. I live in New York City. I've had my Alaska Mileage Plan open for 2+ years. I've flown them ~3-4 times in the last year for short haul stops from the Pacific Northwest all over the West Coast.

I also hoard SPG points. I do a lot of traveling and am able to accumulate SPG points and they're most flexible for me since my travels came me to many different continents. As SPG points take a few days to transfer, I maintain enough points in a few of my favorite mileage plans to book at least 1 round-trip J or F award.

I recently transferred over another 75k points so that I could book a personal trip to Asia later this year.

Shortly after I saw the points were in my account, I called to make the Cathay Pacific booking, and then they notified me that something was wrong with me account, and I had to call customer service. I did so, and the representative was very stand-offish with me and said that they needed me to verify my account information with an official piece of recognized US ID documentation.

Despite her rudeness, I complied and faxed in my passport. After they got that, they then said they need my Driver's license and address. I caved and gave in to their demands and emailed that in as well. They said they could not accept it, and that my account could not be verified. Incredulous, I called back and I offered them a utility bill, confirmation that I still have control of my email address, on top of having control of the number that's on my account. I told the person I spoke to that frankly it was a bit ridiculous that they are not able to identify me with the pieces of information I've given them. Then she snaps at me, "It's our right to terminate your account as we see fit. This is a mileage loyalty program, you are not using it as a frequent flyer."

All I could think while she was talking was the fact that their loyalty program is called MILEAGE plan, and indeed it was a mileage currency I was very loyal to because I transferred probably ~500k of miles to it, mainly for booking Cathay J or F travel to Asia for the rates. I found it mildly amusing that she seems to think that Alaska seems to gain no benefit from selling miles to SPG etc given the fact that Citi basically saved AA from bankruptcy filings with their purchase of a billion AA points. Ignoring the amount they were able to sell 500k miles to SPG on my behalf vs AA because their Cathay J to Asia is 5k miles less just seems to confirm the fact that their loyalty program was working.

Anyway, I asked to speak to her supervisor and she dodged the question until finally she said that a supervisor would call me and discuss the issue with me.

I received no such call. Finally after a few days, today I got an email from another random name who uses the same email their support team shares:

Thank you for calling Alaska Airlines.
Your account is now closed. Our Mileage plans are personal accounts for our
travelers, and your's is not being used as such.

Then she links me to the Terms & Conditions, which basically say they're allowed to close your account as they see fit.

Yes I know every program has these powers in their T&C, but I don't know of any others who would reward their users with such arbitrary bans. It's a shame too, I actually enjoyed many aspects of their MileagePlan, but I am writing this now to warn any other people who have the same type of earning habits as me to beware that they will disable your account if you transfer in too many miles.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Were the bookings for yourself to travel or others. if others are you also going? The Australian guy was redeeming for others which is why they said his was shut down
Old May 5, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
It sounds like maybe ~1% of your miles were earned by actually flying, which is probably way lower than the norm within the program. Honestly I'd think most people here would see this as a positive thing from AS. Award flights can be tough to come by, and it's nice to know that AS values those who do fly on them frequently enough.

I don't have any advice on how to proceed. Not sure you necessarily did anything "wrong," but at a minimum you probably raised some red flags that matched mileage broker accounts and what not.

Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:32 pm

Most of them were for myself. I had to call in and book all the Cathay ones and even my EK F one since there was a glitch that wasn't letting me book it online. The EK F one I redeemed for was for myself and my Fiancee. Everyone I have booked it for has been in my family, and they've never asked to confirm if they were or anything either.

@alphaeagle I understand what you mean, but besides one redemption, literally every single one of my other bookings has been on Cathay's J or F... and I mean it's not exactly hard to find award space especially if you can just book Economy and wait till a week before departure to upgrade to J or F. I think across all my redemptions (AA and Alaska) I'm something like 14/14 on that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.