Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Free checked bag for Signature Cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free checked bag for Signature Cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JVPonKauai
So I have both Delta and Alaska accounts. I'm flying MSP - ANC in September. I put my DL Skymiles number on the record because I want the DL MQMs as top priority. Does this mean that I can't get the free bag? If I were flying Delta in the same situation, I could just show my Delta AMEX card at checkin and get the free bag.
Not according to the official description of the benefit (though swapping your FF number after giving you bag to AS at check-in seems like it would work):

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...-bag-free.aspx

If you are an Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® primary consumer credit cardholder, have entered your Mileage Plan™ number into your reservation, and are traveling solely on Alaska Airlines, we will automatically waive the first bag fee for you and up to 6 additional passengers in the same reservation. For reservations made with Group Booking codes or through the Group Desk, only the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature® primary consumer cardholder will receive the free checked bag. The primary cardholder must be traveling and Mileage Plan™ number listed on the Visa Signature credit card must be in the reservation before you check-in on alaskaair.com, at any of our kiosks, the Alaska Airlines mobile app, or with one of our customer service agents at the airport.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:07 am

Press release today indicates one free checked bag is now a permanent benefit for visa signature cardholders with AS MP # in the reservation
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:29 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Do we have confirmation that we don't need to use the Alaska credit card to buy the ticket to get the free checked bag? Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:48 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by swy
Do we have confirmation that we don't need to use the Alaska credit card to buy the ticket to get the free checked bag? Thanks.
Yes.

I fly AS regularly for business trips, and those are always paid on my corporate Amex. I check bags (using the self-check option to pick up 1000 extra points) and it's free. I *do* always ensure my Alaska FF number is associated with my booking; I assume that's where they pick up that I have the Alaska Visa, thus qualifying for the free bag. But never pay for those trips with my (personal) Alaska visa.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:05 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Yes.

I fly AS regularly for business trips, and those are always paid on my corporate Amex. I check bags (using the self-check option to pick up 1000 extra points) and it's free. I *do* always ensure my Alaska FF number is associated with my booking; I assume that's where they pick up that I have the Alaska Visa, thus qualifying for the free bag. But never pay for those trips with my (personal) Alaska visa.
Awesome, thanks!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Yes.

And in addition to anecdotal evidence, the terms and conditions say "Payment with the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card is not required to qualify for the offer."
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Will I get a free bag as a cardholder even on a ticket booked through AA? First flight is QX and my AS MP# is on the reservation.
Originally Posted by dc333
You certainly should if you are the primary cardholder.
I am happy to report that I did get a free bag on my QX/AA trip even though it also said "American Airlines baggage rules apply" when I checked in. And the terms of the offer say "Codeshare flights operated by other carriers are not eligible." I'm not going to argue
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PDXpress
I am happy to report that I did get a free bag on my QX/AA trip even though it also said "American Airlines baggage rules apply" when I checked in. And the terms of the offer say "Codeshare flights operated by other carriers are not eligible." I'm not going to argue
You were checking in with Alaska, right? Waivers like this normally apply based on the airline you're checking in with, irrespective of any connecting flights.

Note that this waiver (like the elite status bag fee waivers) don't affect the ticketed baggage allowance, which is what the "American Airlines baggage rules apply" applies to.

If you have a return flight for which you check in with AA, I would not expect the fee waiver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.