Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oakland Marginalized Again

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bofc
..The SEA - OAK flight is always full so it's apparently a "strategic" deployment of equipment elsewhere. It's a shame to see this happen. Does Alaska ever reverse course on decisions like this? Or is the demise of Oakland only a matter of time?
That is a brave statement! Only those in the depths of AS would know the true numbers.
Anyway full flight is not the same as maximum profit, especially if selling the seats for peanuts (as below).
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yields for SEA-Bay Area aren't all that great. 8 day advance purchase (May 2) is $79 for SEA-SFO/OAK/SJC.
Not exactly a shock in a market with AS/UA/WN/VX/DL in it, and DL aggressively pricing things.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The amendable dates for the AS pilots' contract is March '18, and December '18 for the QX pilots. If AS starts adding contracted aircraft aggressively one can be sure the AS & QX pilots will have something to say. See p14 of the Ann Rep.
They may address it but nothing says that AS management has to give them scope language. It's a negotiation and both sides have to agree. What surprises me most is that the AS pilots weren't forward thinking enough to pursue scope language in the last agreement. Given the nature of the business, and the trends at other airlines, it seems like it would have been on the radar.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:20 pm

We are being told that the only flight that is turning to a CRJ is the PM departure that currently leaves at 610pm. All other flights will be operated as AS aircraft. Now who knows if this will stick, but it's what is being said currently.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yields for SEA-Bay Area aren't all that great. 8 day advance purchase (May 2) is $79 for SEA-SFO/OAK/SJC.

Not exactly a shock in a market with AS/UA/WN/VX/DL in it, and DL aggressively pricing things.
I think it's also WN aggressively pricing thing.

Plus, SFO is now served directly by BART. A few years ago, OAK was much more convenient for BART access.

OAK is now feeling the reality of being the second airport to SFO.

Jiburi
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi

OAK is now feeling the reality of being the second airport to SFO.
I agree with this sentiment (and may even go as far as placing OAK in 3rd behind SFO and SJC). While OP's feelings on the subject aren't to be minimized, the fact is that OAK is not first and foremost on most people's minds when they think about flying into the Bay Area.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Plus, SFO is now served directly by BART. A few years ago, OAK was much more convenient for BART access.
Is this backwards? BART to SFO opened twelve years ago, while the train connection to OAK was just opened in November. (I suppose OAK had the bus before, but that was always awkward.)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by bayarea_LCSA
We are being told that the only flight that is turning to a CRJ is the PM departure that currently leaves at 610pm. All other flights will be operated as AS aircraft. Now who knows if this will stick, but it's what is being said currently.
That's how it starts. UA used to have 40+ flights a day there before pulling out altogether.

AA pulled out years ago as well.

CO pulled out (before UA did, and before they merged).

AS, DL, and US are the only real airlines left there. Well, and HA I suppose.

I hope the point-to-point Hawaii stuff is working well for AS. It's hella convenient.

I think it's also WN aggressively pricing thing.
Huh?

If anything, OAK is more expensive than SFO/SJC these days (expecially to SEA). Aside from a flash sale, SFO/SJC are usually lower.

This is also true for many markets as SFO is far more competitive than OAK to other places (e.g., NYC, WAS, ORD, etc.).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As noted in last post, AS is just the latest to cutback at OAK. It's very frustrating for those of us who are part of the ever-expanding population east of SFO, but unlikely to change so long as carriers are permitted to overschedule @SFO. The same thing has occurred at LAX, where ONT is completely marginalized and BUR not far behind.

I do hate those CRJs - basically the beginning of the death spiral as most of us will happily travel an extra 20m to get more frequent jet service, and thus demand will crater even more...

Honestly this is why regional management is needed (see e.g. Washington DC airport authority or Port Authority NY/NJ) and FAA could intervene as well as the system gets hammered by the all-too-frequent weather delays @SFO. Or better yet, just have a regional authority limit and price slots to balance supply and demand. Otherwise the major carriers have no incentive to use secondary airports to at least feed their other hubs.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by channa
AS, DL, and US are the only real airlines left there. Well, and HA I suppose.
For a lot of people, WN is far more a "real airline" than other airlines (free baggage, no change fees for everyone who walks in the door are pretty big, as well as a well-documented history of good customer service). There's a reason why WN is big at OAK/SJC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.