Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Earning AS EQM on AA ticketed & BA operated Flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

I am MVPG booking roundtrip flights from SEA to AMS, and I want to be sure I earn AS EQM's on each flight. Booking via AA.com I see that my flight from LHR to SEA would be: "American Airlines, 6233, Operated by British Airways, Booking code N".

When I look up 6233, it is not eligible here: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../american.aspx

However, when I go to BA.com, I can see that they operate that flight as BA0053, and that # is eligible when I look it up here:http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...s/british.aspx

So my question is, will I earn EQM's if this is ticketed via AA as 6233, and operated by BA as BA0053?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by MTGKJ
So my question is, will I earn EQM's if this is ticketed via AA as 6233, and operated by BA as BA0053?
You should not as you found out from the rules - the purchase of the ticket as AA6233 means that it's marketed by AA (and then as you noticed, it's operated by BA). As the AA partner page says,
Originally Posted by http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/partners/american.aspx
To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
(Emphasis added; the BA page has a paragraph to similar effect).

So, your flight fails the marketed and operated by the same airline test and thus should not give you credit.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I researched the pants of a MR to BAH....well i thought I had, and missed the list of flight numbers.

So am I correct AA6421 and AA6420 will give me zero credit on AS? Is there anything I can do here to get credit for those flights operated by BA? Could I credit them some place else mid trip??
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:30 pm

Send the boarding passes in with the flight numbers of the operating carrier.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Yes, you should be credited automatically. I have taken that same flight and As picked up on it before I was about to send in the receipt and boarding pass. As you say BA 53 counts. I have done the same for DL flights flown by KL and even a KL flight flown by Alitalia.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Madone59
I researched the pants of a MR to BAH....well i thought I had, and missed the list of flight numbers.

So am I correct AA6421 and AA6420 will give me zero credit on AS? Is there anything I can do here to get credit for those flights operated by BA? Could I credit them some place else mid trip??
Based on the AS terms as written, you can't get any AS credit for them. It should be easy (or at least possible; I've had issues with BA crediting the wrong FFP) to credit them to any oneworld carrier if you want.

Various people have had success with alternative means as mentioned, but it's not allowed with the terms as written.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the updates. I guess I will book the less convenient flight ticketed and flown on AA. Definitely a bummer that I can't go with the more convenient AA ticketed / operated by BA... given they are both AS Partners.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Send the boarding passes in with the flight numbers of the operating carrier.
Thank you! I hope that works, I really don't want to pick up another MR.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
Thank you! I hope that works, I really don't want to pick up another MR.
I just called AS Customer care and went through my question exactly as I stated it above. The AS rep who sounded very confident and knowledgable, admitted it was confusing, but explained to me that I would definitely get credit as the flight is operated by an AS Partner (BA), and the operator flight # BA0053 is valid via the partner matrix. She said they care about the operator flight #, and not AA's assigned flight #.

I then read here this from the Partner rules "To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines." She confirmed again that it was confusing and said that I would be all set because BA is the operator and their flight # is valid for credit.

I hope that helps, and feel free to call Alaska Airlines Customer Care
1-800-654-5669 ... I would be curious to hear if they give you the same update.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 am

Based on the rules as printed on the AS website, the phone agent steered you wrong (technically), but as others have posted on here, AS has generally been very very generous with crediting AA marketing BA operated and DL marketed, but KL/AF operated flights. In fact, I'm not aware of a single instance of this issue coming up on the forum where the poster didn't get credit.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by MTGKJ
I just called AS Customer care and went through my question exactly as I stated it above. The AS rep who sounded very confident and knowledgable, admitted it was confusing, but explained to me that I would definitely get credit as the flight is operated by an AS Partner (BA), and the operator flight # BA0053 is valid via the partner matrix. She said they care about the operator flight #, and not AA's assigned flight #.

I then read here this from the Partner rules "To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines." She confirmed again that it was confusing and said that I would be all set because BA is the operator and their flight # is valid for credit.

I hope that helps, and feel free to call Alaska Airlines Customer Care
1-800-654-5669 ... I would be curious to hear if they give you the same update.
Thank you. I hope they were right. My MR is at the end of the year so unless work picks up i'm going to need every inch of that trip.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Yes, you should be credited automatically. I have taken that same flight and As picked up on it before I was about to send in the receipt and boarding pass. As you say BA 53 counts. I have done the same for DL flights flown by KL and even a KL flight flown by Alitalia.
Thanks for your input. I called AS Customer Care and they confirmed the same. I booked the flights after talking to them. Hopefully my experience turns out the same as yours did.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I've gotten credit before by submitting the BA boarding pass - one time I had to call and re-submit the boarding pass via email but have always gotten mileage credit.

Good luck
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Rich Boykin
I've gotten credit before by submitting the BA boarding pass - one time I had to call and re-submit the boarding pass via email but have always gotten mileage credit.

Good luck
^
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'd get any promises in writing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.