Award ticket - fee for bags?

Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Award ticket - fee for bags?

I'm flying on a business class award ticket on Emirates. Included in the award is a positioning flight (in coach) SEA-SFO, where I will transfer to the Emirates flight. Will I have to pay a baggage fee for the Alaska leg? If so, can I carry-on and then check my bag in with Emirates in SFO?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:31 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
If its an immediate transfer, (not an extended stopover of any kind), they will follow the Emirates bag rules
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: AS gold
If your connecting time in SFO is below 4 hours (or maybe it is 12 hours?), then the least restrictive baggage allowance (Emirates) will also apply to your Alaska segment.

So, you can check your bag at no charge. However, be warned that bags that have been interlined between two different carriers are more prone to loss and pilfering than bags that are in the sole control of only one airline for the whole trip.

I would check it for free to SFO, pick it up, and then recheck on Emirates.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:03 pm

They aren't going to let you short-check the bag to SFO (unless its a completely separate ticket)
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, DL, Marriott, Hilton Honors Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
As always I defer to Miss Darling to give us the correct answer. BUT, my experience has been that I can "short check" to SFO, collect my bag from the Alaska Airlines carousel and re-check for an International Award ticketed flight. I have done this once a year for the last four years. With three hours plus between flights, I feel more comfortable seeing my bags in SFO and checking them directly with the airline I am flying with to Asia.
Just my experience.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
I'm flying on a business class award ticket on Emirates. Included in the award is a positioning flight (in coach) SEA-SFO, where I will transfer to the Emirates flight. Will I have to pay a baggage fee for the Alaska leg? If so, can I carry-on and then check my bag in with Emirates in SFO?
Keep checking for saver first (A space) on the positioning flight (maybe even try SEA-PDX-SFO if the PDX-SFO opens up in saver first). I know it's a short flight, but it just always irks me a bit if I have to fly in coach on a BUSINESS award
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Alaska14k
As always I defer to Miss Darling to give us the correct answer. BUT, my experience has been that I can "short check" to SFO, collect my bag from the Alaska Airlines carousel and re-check for an International Award ticketed flight. I have done this once a year for the last four years. With three hours plus between flights, I feel more comfortable seeing my bags in SFO and checking them directly with the airline I am flying with to Asia.
Just my experience.
My experience hasn't been as fruitful, but I was trying it with a connection to AS rather than a connection from AS.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I've short checked several times to int'l connections. However, flying into SFO, you could have delays even when you don't have delays at check-in, and if you risk short-checking your bags only to SFO, if you're substantially late for any reason, your bags will swirl and swirl around the carousel until they go to locked baggage detention, unless you have decided to miss your connecting flight. If they are checked through, they should make it to the final destination, albeit probably not on your flights.

Also, if you are substantially delayed, you will have a short walk between gates. Your bags may make it, but you'd never get to baggage claim and back through security in time.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

PDXPremier, are you saying that if saver space opens up in First that I can call AS and upgrade for no additional miles (since I'm on a business class award)? I see there are mixed itineraries through PDX at this point, which seems kind of a hassle considering only the PDX-SFO leg would be in First.

Sorry for the newbie questions....my first premium cabin award.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

PDXPremier, are you saying that if saver space opens up in First that I can call AS and upgrade for no additional miles (since I'm on a business class award)? I see there are mixed itineraries through PDX at this point, which seems kind of a hassle considering only the PDX-SFO leg would be in First.

Sorry for the newbie questions....my first premium cabin award.
Yes, if saver space opens up, the first class seat is yours! If first is available from PDX-SFO, I would call and book that in a heat beat....it's only a 30 minute QX flight down to PDX which doesn't have first (hence the "mixed" part of the award). Since you'll be in first on an award ticket, you'll have access to the PDX Boardroom while you wait for your PDX-SFO flight....you've already coughed up the miles for a business class award ticket, why subject yourself to Y when you can have F?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

I just noticed on my booking online it indicates "First Class waitlisted". So, I take that as somewhat of a good sign. Does that mean I'll have priority over elite upgrades, etc?

I'll have to think about the SEA-PDX-SFO option.....but generally my thought is, the more connections, the more chance that something could go wrong (i.e. delays). I don't want any chance of not making the SFO-DXB leg.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 12:14 am
AAL

I just noticed on my booking online it indicates "First Class waitlisted". So, I take that as somewhat of a good sign. Does that mean I'll have priority over elite upgrades, etc?
It is a good sign, but doesn't give you priority over elite upgrades. Award space is "A" space; upgrade space is "U" space. You need "A" space to become available.

I've been in the same situation; sometimes A space does open up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.