Community
Wiki Posts
Search

State of upgrades 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
From today's 1st Quarter investor's conference call:

The upgrade of our revenue management system went smoothly in the first quarter and has allowed us to expand our P-fare [ph] offerings which are a discounted first-class booking across our entire system. Results have been very encouraging with our system-wide first class PRASM up 2.2% in the first quarter. That’s well above our system results.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
more from the call:

Helane Becker - Cowen and Company
What’s your paid first class? You know, what of your first class is paid for versus upgrades?

Brad Tilden - Chief Executive Officer
I think it’s nudging up – it was roughly a third, Helane. If you go back a few years ago, before we put in our new strategy, it was basically one customer per flight. So first class is typically 16 seats, some airplanes it’s 12, and we’re up to five or six customers a flight. Andrew, I think it might have even popped up a little bit more in the last quarter or two?

Andrew Harrison - Executive Vice President, Chief Revenue Officer
Right. And I – that’s right. And, Helane, one thing that competition teaches one is we’ve probably not been as focused on either the unit revenues, the service or the benefits that first class cabin, which is like 10% of our seats, has been performing at. So we are actually more focused on that cabin and it’s paying off.

Brad Tilden - Chief Executive Officer
Yes. And just to be really – there’s three ways to get into first class. A, you buy a first class fare, and that’s what we’re talking about. Second, you buy a qualifying upgrade fare, and third, you buy a non-qualifying upgrade fare. And we’ve been – we have been focused on offering great value with the F fare, and that’s why we’ve done well with getting a lot of folks up into the front part of the airplane.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:59 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I've noticed.. been eyeballing the F cabins for SEA-WAS flights for the past week and noticed it's getting full day after day...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:31 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Good for AS, bad for the free upgrade crowd.

Solid info. Thanks for posting.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:01 am

Good for shareholders too. In fact, elites should buy stock as a classic hedging strategy.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn
Good for shareholders too. In fact, elites should buy stock as a classic hedging strategy.
Exactly. When I feel disappointed for not getting the upgrade, I feel better when I put my shareholder hat on.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Exactly. When I feel disappointed for not getting the upgrade, I feel better when I put my shareholder hat on.
Yup. Pointy end of plane or wealth accumulation. Not a bad choice.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The easy money has been made in airline stocks.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by dayone
Good for AS, bad for the free upgrade crowd.
I'm not sure I agree that it's all good for AS given the lack of a Y+ product. If upgrades for 75ks become rare, and golds/mvps non-existant, then what? If you're a gold who buys expensive last minute tickets and always has to sit in a middle seat in row 22, while people who plan their trips 8-16 weeks out are sitting up front on discounted F fares (that are cheaper than your ticket), you're not going to really think that highly of the AS experience, are you? It certainly starts to make DL, UA, and AA look a little better, given that you'll usually at least be in a Y+ seat.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I'm not sure I agree that it's all good for AS given the lack of a Y+ product.
I wouldn't mind it if they took out a row, added the space to the first 3 rows, then put that row in the back, taking away 1" from each row aft of the exits. Net number of seats remain the same, FFs are given their Y+, there's a chance to monetize those seats, and Y won't complain because price is king.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I wouldn't mind it if they took out a row, added the space to the first 3 rows, then put that row in the back, taking away 1" from each row aft of the exits. Net number of seats remain the same, FFs are given their Y+, there's a chance to monetize those seats, and Y won't complain because price is king.
I wouldn't either. 738 would end up with 30 seats at 35" pitch, 12 exit row, and 90-93 seats at 30-31" pitch. Not drastically different from Delta's setup (actually a bit better).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.