Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Up to 5,000 free miles for Self-Tag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Since you can't go anywhere from EUG without making a connection I won't (can't) even bother. I can drive to PDX and SEA faster than flying.

So why did they want my confirmation number? And then tell me they were mailing me the sleeves?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:01 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So why did they want my confirmation number? And then tell me they were mailing me the sleeves?
Its just basic backend logic to make sure you're actually flying on AS and I think it might check to see if your travel date is too close and recommend that you pick one up at the airport.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/tra...s-or-less.aspx
Thanks, I stand corrected...I guess we got multiple vouchers once at MCI for multiple bags because there were 3 passengers in the reservation.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
Thanks for posting.

Looks like registration is not required?

I have an AA trip, first segment is AA-coded, AS operated, the connection is AA. I wonder if this will work on the interline. I doubt it for some reason.
Remember, this is only for non-stop or direct flights (one flight #) so it doesn't matter if the connection is on AS or AA or DL, if it's a connection, you can't use the self tagging service.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jchilders
No connections at all? Not even on Alaska? No wonder I've never been offered the option.

I'm actually surprised they bothered to make places like EAT and YKM self-checkable. The combination of "only going to Seattle" and "needs/wants to check baggage" seems like a pretty small share of the traffic to places that are so close to their only nonstop destination.
My guess is that places like EAT, YKM, and EUG are going to almost never see a Self-Tag bag.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Since you can't go anywhere from EUG without making a connection I won't (can't) even bother. I can drive to PDX and SEA faster than flying.

Thanks for pointing out this MAJOR wrinkle in this promotion....I totally missed it and honestly would have never guessed that this would only be offered on direct/non-stop flights. I too was getting ready to order my self-tag baggage tags, but now I won't....it did seem like a lot of miles (up to 5,000) for simply self-tagging your bag and now I realize that a huge chunk of passengers won't even qualify for it so they aren't going to be stuck giving out as many miles at first appears.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Thanks for pointing out this MAJOR wrinkle in this promotion....I totally missed it and honestly would have never guessed that this would only be offered on direct/non-stop flights. I too was getting ready to order my self-tag baggage tags, but now I won't....it did seem like a lot of miles (up to 5,000) for simply self-tagging your bag and now I realize that a huge chunk of passengers won't even qualify for it so they aren't going to be stuck giving out as many miles at first appears.
Just take advantage of Rocketmiles 5K miles promotion for new members then. Same number of miles and no need to worry about not having connections.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by missydarlin
Its just basic backend logic to make sure you're actually flying on AS and I think it might check to see if your travel date is too close and recommend that you pick one up at the airport.

I'm not sure what logic it has, but I put in a different AA coded AS flight, originating at a currently non-participating airport and connecting to an AA flight, and it didn't balk.

I have pure AS nonstops I could have used, but I wanted to see what that one would do.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My guess is that places like EAT, YKM, and EUG are going to almost never see a Self-Tag bag.
Long as they don't allow it for connections, you're absolutely right.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by channa
I'm not sure what logic it has, but I put in a different AA coded AS flight, originating at a currently non-participating airport and connecting to an AA flight, and it didn't balk.

I have pure AS nonstops I could have used, but I wanted to see what that one would do.
It's not checking to see if that particular itinerary qualifies for Self-Tag.

It's just very basic logic looking to see that you fly AS so we aren't running out of tags for those who are more likely to use them because a whole bunch of people who aren't flying thought it would be fun to order them.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Oh, they attach great! So good, in fact, that they will still be attached long after the actual bag tag has been ripped off of it somewhere along the way.

Unless they have redesigned them in the last 5 months, I'd think real hard if that 1,000 miles is worth it.
How many flights before that happened?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long as they don't allow it for connections, you're absolutely right.
So for these cities, who cares if they're "set up" or not....they're getting prepared for nothing.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Oh, they attach great! So good, in fact, that they will still be attached long after the actual bag tag has been ripped off of it somewhere along the way.

Unless they have redesigned them in the last 5 months, I'd think real hard if that 1,000 miles is worth it.
Lol...this made me laugh.....there is a bright side to this....using the self-tag increases your chance of your bag being more than 20 minutes late (maybe 20 days) which means BONUS miles for you!!!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not checking to see if that particular itinerary qualifies for Self-Tag.

It's just very basic logic looking to see that you fly AS so we aren't running out of tags for those who are more likely to use them because a whole bunch of people who aren't flying thought it would be fun to order them.
Lol....some people just like getting mail
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

No connections at all? Not even on Alaska? No wonder I've never been offered the option.

I'm actually surprised they bothered to make places like EAT and YKM self-checkable. The combination of "only going to Seattle" and "needs/wants to check baggage" seems like a pretty small share of the traffic to places that are so close to their only nonstop destination.
At some point connections will be offered ... but I believe right now the priority is to get all of the airports up and running first.
Damn. I didn't realize this excluded connections

Might be hard to get to 5 segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.