Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-PDX -- 737 Replaces Q400s

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dliesse
Too bad they didn't have a way to reroute you via Amtrak, my favorite way of traveling SEA-PDX (if I'm not driving). We need to find a way for airlines and the railroads to cooperate a bit more.
I like it too, but still prefer flying if SEA isn't my final destination....as an MVPG, I get 1000 miles for those short PDX-SEA hops so they add up fast. I will say this, I noticed this last night....it's amazing how many PDX-bound passengers were left standing there after the 11pm flight departed....if there was a midnightish ("red-eye") Amtrak from SEA-PDX, I think they would get more business than one would think.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A 2013 Brookings study put Amtrak Cascades' losses at $15 million annually. Among shorter-haul Amtrak services that performance is not stellar.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/in...3/AmtrakRoutes
Old Mar 27, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
The 1030pm SEA/PDX has been a 739 for some time now, I take it a lot and it usually quite full. Last flight to PDX is the 11:00 Q400 so if early in enough into SEA many folks grab it, I dint get upgraded often though but when I do it's just a glass of water service. As a result the 11pm is sometimes quite empty. I think it goes back to SEA at 6:30am. I was told it's to elevate overnight parking issues in SEA.
This is the one I usually take as well. I'm pretty sure it is a water-and-cookie service IIRC. I'm either in 2C or 2D noshing on my cookie.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
I was told it's to elevate overnight parking issues in SEA.
This is also reported as the reason that there's a 737 that does SEA-BLI and overnights there.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A 2013 Brookings study put Amtrak Cascades' losses at $15 million annually. Among shorter-haul Amtrak services that performance is not stellar.

I believe the performance has increased since 2012 to a largely break even proposition for Cascades this year. Whether that also reflects the state support or not I don't know.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, United Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite Ambassador
Originally Posted by dliesse
Too bad they didn't have a way to reroute you via Amtrak, my favorite way of traveling SEA-PDX (if I'm not driving). We need to find a way for airlines and the railroads to cooperate a bit more.
Many flights from the east and elsewhere misconnected Thursday night and I was on the PHL-SEA flight which arrived just before 1am. Big issue on the Friday the 27th calendar for people to roll over to as all flights on Horizon SEA-PDX were full. I was also given the option of SEA-GEG-PDX but fortunately said "no thanks" and booked the 7:30am Amtrak to PDX, getting in on time at 11:20am. Amtrak option was far better than spending the day at SEA awaiting a standby and for that matter, for those that have a good corporate travel option to do a one-way rental without it costing $200, cheaper.

For all of us that missed connected on their flights home Thursday, it was an opportunity for a flight attendant friend of mine and her husband to actually get home from PVR as there were many open seats for non-revs.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
there's a Marriott Courtyard with shuttle van service to/from SEA on West Valley Hwy (also an Embassy Suites iirc) ... about a 5 min walk from the Tukwila station
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Portland1k
Many flights from the east and elsewhere misconnected Thursday night and I was on the PHL-SEA flight which arrived just before 1am. Big issue on the Friday the 27th calendar for people to roll over to as all flights on Horizon SEA-PDX were full. I was also given the option of SEA-GEG-PDX but fortunately said "no thanks" and booked the 7:30am Amtrak to PDX, getting in on time at 11:20am. Amtrak option was far better than spending the day at SEA awaiting a standby and for that matter, for those that have a good corporate travel option to do a one-way rental without it costing $200, cheaper.

For all of us that missed connected on their flights home Thursday, it was an opportunity for a flight attendant friend of mine and her husband to actually get home from PVR as there were many open seats for non-revs.
Did you get a refund for the unused SEA-PDX of your ticket? Amtrak wasn't an option for me because I didn't want to spend my own $$ when I already purchased a ticket to PDX....also, and this is the bigger issue.....I want the EQMs/RDMs....for me, I get 1000 miles on those short hops.....also, keep in mind there is a double miles promotion for SEA-GEG flights so telling me I get to route via GEG to get to PDX is like icing on the cake
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

Yes, but is that cheaper than expanding I5 and/or the subsidies from the FAA to the various airports/ATC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.