Search

Is Horizon Airlines safe?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:18 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by CZBB
Buffalo Airways offer daily scheduled passenger service on a DC3 from YHY-YZF
Ive been on one of their passenger flights before. Now thats quite a trip Or it might have been Air North, I cant really recall

Give it a try some time

Last edited by ANC; Mar 27, 2015 at 5:40 pm
Old Mar 28, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
I think the 340 is one of my favorite small props. Mainly because I like the sound or well music the props make during start up and taxi
Originally Posted by jrl767
glad to know there's another SF-340 aficionado out there!
The 340s were my favorite planes flying LAX-SAN on AA... since they never broke 8000 ft, you got great views of the SoCal coastline.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbit82
I have to fly on Friday from Oakland to Portland on Horizon Air, which is part of Alaska. Both my flights are on old propeller planes! I've never flown in a propeller plane before and I've never flown Alaska before. Now I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this airline and plane? I think its the Dash or something. Sounds dangerous and old fashioned. Also to make matters worse that plane crash today is not helping my nerves. I mean...that was a big jet that crashed for no reason with experienced pilots, for an airline that was safe. I'm starting to get super nervous. I heard they put the least experienced/training pilots on the regionals and propeller planes.
A mainstream American airline wouldn't fly unsafe equipment. On a mile per mile basis, that plane is more fuel efficient than a bus. It's also not a regional airline per se like you have on the east coast with many of the smaller routes farmed out.

I fly the Horizon Q400 quite often. The seats are narrow and uncomfortable. The overhead space is so limited that you can expect to gate check ("a la carte") anything you would have put in the overhead of a full size jet. And they are slower than jets. Having said that, none of these criticisms are safety related - I never worry about that on Horizon. I think there is a bigger danger from bacteria on the plane since the bathroom sinks have no running water for hand washing - just liquid hand cleaner. Ugh.
While some of that is true, they're way more spacious than a lot of the Brazilian or Canadian alternatives. It's a regional plane, so yes, overheads aren't great. AS does supplement it with free regional alcoholic beverages and they do let you fly to pretty much every major city in the NW direct.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by bofc
I fly the Horizon Q400 quite often. The seats are narrow and uncomfortable.
The seat width and pitch on the Q400 are the same as on a mainline AS 737 in economy. However, the seats on the Q400 do not recline and do not have adjustable headrests.

I like the 2x2 seating on the Q400 and I also like the faster boarding/deplaning, particularly when they are using two doors. I usually don't need to access much out of my larger carry-on during the flight, so I don't mind leaving it a la cart.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
The seat width and pitch on the Q400 are the same as on a mainline AS 737 in economy.
I am sure this is the case, but a Q400 sure feels tighter, particularly if you're in a window seat where the curvature of the wall eats into your foot space. And the tray tables are smaller, which makes it harder to do work on a computer.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
While some of that is true, they're way more spacious than a lot of the Brazilian or Canadian alternatives. It's a regional plane, so yes, overheads aren't great.
You do realize where the DeHavilland Canada DHC8-400; aka Q400 (powered by Pratt & Whitney Canada PW150A engines) is built, right?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:01 am

I do like the fact that the seats don't recline. Being stuck in a "doll house" plane like that for a relatively long flight (PDX to OAK for example) would be even worse if someone reclined in front of you. But they are not comfortable and the lack of overhead space means waiting for "a la cart" luggage outside in the elements in SEA or PDX. So the "you can exit faster with the two doors" just means more time in the wind/rain/cold in winter waiting for your bag. Amazing how many people don't seem to care if they get free beer.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by CZBB
You do realize where the DeHavilland Canada DHC8-400; aka Q400 (powered by Pratt & Whitney Canada PW150A engines) is built, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.