Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Horizon Airlines safe?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:55 pm

You'll be fine. The Q400 is perfectly safe.

Just avoid rows 7-9, in case the propeller decides to smash through the window:
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/11...ssengers-skin/

Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I had said we should charter a DC3 for one of the DOs, but it wasn't financially feasible
Just need to find someone who can accept AS miles
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Orbit82 the Q400 is designed and built by Bombardier in Montreal who has decades of experience building very durable planes for the tough conditions of Canada amongst other places. Add to that the horizon pilots who dozens of times a day land in marginal conditions that some pilots never get to see in other areas of the US. I have many, many miles on QX and always feel extremely safe and always will. I'm way more worried about some of the idiot drivers on 26/I-84/I-205 in Portland on my way to and from the airport.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:26 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by orbit82
My fear is because they put the new/training pilots on propeller planes. You have to have more experience to fly a jet.
QX is a pretty senior airline. They have 20+ year captains flying around and are a professional, well run operation. A good friend of my family's flew for them for many years before leaving the airline industry to sell cars.

QX and Skywest are two regionals I never think twice about flying. They are two of the better run operations around.

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
Does anyone remember these? I remember many flights back in the day, BLI-SEA on the old Fairchild Metroliner. Felt like I was strapped into a mosquito.
Those were called the flying pencil.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:06 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Really want to get on a DC3 or DC6...
When Scare North .... er .... Air North was in operation, it operated the Goony Bird between JNU and YXY (among other places). I recall flying them to get up and back to/from Whitehorse one year for the Klondike Relay (mid-90's). The flight back was fine but the trip up was a puker.

The DC-3 is fine in good conditions; in turbulence, not so much. YMMV.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Others have eloquently indicated how "safe" it is to fly Horizon, and mentioned the planes themselves, the crews and the beer/wine. Another thing I like about the Q-400s is being able to board front or rear (and deplane) and I like the ala carte for my carry-ons. (carry-on roller bags will not fit in the very tiny overheads, so you put your carry-on luggage on a cart just outside the aircraft prior to boarding, upon deplaning at your destination the crews will unload your bags to the cart again for you to access, it is very quick and easy)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i fly ~25K miles per year on QX, without hesitation. end of story.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:41 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Does anyone still operate the Metroliner?

Know in AK we have the Saab 340 & beech 1900 among other props. Really want to get on a DC3 or DC6...
I think the 340 is one of my favorite small props. Mainly because I like the sound or well music the props make during start up and taxi
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
glad to know there's another SF-340 aficionado out there!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:01 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Just need to find someone who can accept AS miles
Everts might have one sitting around....or hmmm Does Everts have any seats on the DC6's @:-) or are they straight cargo

Last edited by ANC; Mar 25, 2015 at 7:08 pm
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:05 pm

I fly the Horizon Q400 quite often. The seats are narrow and uncomfortable. The overhead space is so limited that you can expect to gate check ("a la carte") anything you would have put in the overhead of a full size jet. And they are slower than jets. Having said that, none of these criticisms are safety related - I never worry about that on Horizon. I think there is a bigger danger from bacteria on the plane since the bathroom sinks have no running water for hand washing - just liquid hand cleaner. Ugh.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC
Everts might have one sitting around....or hmmm Does Everts have any seats on the DC6's @:-) or are they straight cargo
Not that I've seen bookable.

Someone once offered scenic flights on a Douglas Commercial prop in the past decade in ANC...but haven't seen that pop up recently.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by orbit82
I have to fly on Friday from Oakland to Portland on Horizon Air, which is part of Alaska. Both my flights are on old propeller planes! I've never flown in a propeller plane before and I've never flown Alaska before. Now I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this airline and plane? I think its the Dash or something. Sounds dangerous and old fashioned. Also to make matters worse that plane crash today is not helping my nerves. I mean...that was a big jet that crashed for no reason with experienced pilots, for an airline that was safe. I'm starting to get super nervous. I heard they put the least experienced/training pilots on the regionals and propeller planes.

Let's address the highlighted things one at a time:

What makes you think Horizon's DHC8-400 (aka Q400s) are old ? It's actually a very new fleet by comparison to the mainline operators
Average age of their fleet:
  • Horizon Air (all Q400s): 8.1 years
  • Alaska Airlines: 9.7 years
  • Southwest Airlines: 11.8 years
  • American Airlines: 12.7 years
  • United Airlines: 13.4 years
  • Delta Airlines: 17.1 years

Fly on them regularly; no problems. If you didn't look out the window you wouldn't even really notice it's a propeller plane. As for safety record the DHC8-400 has a safety record similar to Boeing and Airbus jets. Of the 400+ Q400s built there has been a grand total of one fatal accident.

Horizon's pilots are the most senior 'regional' pilots in North America, and generally have a lot more total time as pilots than you might see on a discount jet carrier like Allegiant (or Germanwings). Mostly because Horizon pay them a fair bit more than most of the other regional carriers in North America.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
Per their web site - the latter.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:31 am

Not that I've seen bookable.

Someone once offered scenic flights on a Douglas Commercial prop in the past decade in ANC...but haven't seen that pop up recently.
Buffalo Airways offer daily scheduled passenger service on a DC3 from YHY-YZF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.