Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

F pax requesting Y meals: Don't have to wait anymore?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F pax requesting Y meals: Don't have to wait anymore?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Good point....I think I need to try the cheese plate sometime....it gets rave reviews from everyone but honestly, I've never even considered it due to the fact that it sounds, well, boring.....I mean really, it's fruit and cheese...I'd rather have something "fun" I wouldn't have at home every day of the week.
You don't like the cheese plate because it's "boring?" Add that to the (long) list of things PDXPremier doesn't eat.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tusphotog
You don't like the cheese plate because it's "boring?" Add that to the (long) list of things PDXPremier doesn't eat.
I think I come across on FT as pickier that I really am....I think...hmmm....I guess the problem is that I've yet to see my two favorite food items on any flight, regardless of airline:

1. Buffalo wings (with extra wing sauce)
2. Nachos supreme (come to think of it, has I don't think I've ever seen any in-flight meal use avocados....they could add a little lemon to keep them green too)
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:23 pm

While I'm not vegetarian, I've seen people who are decline the entree in F and ask for the cheese plate instead. Then the F/A asks them to pay for the cheese plate. I feel like this simply should not happen in F. Given that Delta offers special meals and Alaska doesn't, I think the least AS can do is offer the cheese plate gratis in F when there is no vegetarian option available. Glad to see that is now being offered!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: MR, HH, DL, ALK
fancy menus

those menus posted earlier in this thread look awfully fancy when compared to the SEA - IAD/DCA and IAD/DCA - SEA menus currently being served. is beyond a step backwards?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Please do post the photos in the Reports thread if you haven't done so already. Thank you, VNAFlyer!
Done and done: Post #131
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24555608-post131.html

My notes:
  • PDB mini water bottles were already placed by our seats before boarding; no juice/water offered.
  • Good amount of smoked salmon, could have used more leafy things (though my wife's serving had more leafs). Too bad I couldn't partake.
  • I thought it was odd that we had a choice of rolls, but we were just handed whatever as part of our tray.
  • Short ribs were served more of a pot roast style, but still flavorful and tender. Green beans (sorry, "haricots verts" ) still had a snap to them, not overdone and limp like airplane veggies usually are.
  • Pork chop was also moist and tasty, though needed a pinch of salt. Broccolini likewise very good and not limp. Didn't try the quinoa/kale because... well... quinoa/kale!
  • Pecan tart was good, not overly sweet, though shell was less pie crust and more shortbread-y.

All in all, one of the best domestic F meals I've had in quite a while. Seems I lucked out with this menu, AND getting cheese plate to boot?

And, I'll just post the pics here for ease:

Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The policy has changed so that First Class customers can choose to have a free coach meal in place of their First Class meal. Not in addition to. If you want to have your First Class meal and a coach meal as well then you'll have to purchase the coach meal. I would imagine this means that wanting a cheese plate instead of your salad, but are still eating your entree, then you are supposed to pay for it. Truth is, I'm not sure the Flight Attendants clearly understand the policy so you'll probably see different Flight Attendants doing different things. Unfortunate but it's not very clear to most.
Actually, here's a follow-up question: If a pax wants something else in lieu of the F meal, what happens to that F meal? It's not like they can reuse it for the next flight, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be served to the first lucky Y pax.

Either way, the F meal is a sunk cost, so logically there shouldn't be any reason not to give both the F meal and Y substitute to the pax.

Not trying to undercut the veracity your statement in any way, just curious and wanting to understand the rationale of the new policy.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Caris
Last month on a San - Sea flight, I had the cheese plate. I noticed the Brie was missing and commented on it to the lady next to me. She said to be glad because she'd heard the Brie had made someone very sick, and they have probably removed it.

Does anyone have any recent experience? Was this just a one off or is the Brie gone for good?

I love the cheese plate
No Brie on either of my two flights this month. I also thought it was strange.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
The policy has changed so that First Class customers can choose to have a free coach meal in place of their First Class meal. Not in addition to. If you want to have your First Class meal and a coach meal as well then you'll have to purchase the coach meal. I would imagine this means that wanting a cheese plate instead of your salad, but are still eating your entree, then you are supposed to pay for it. Truth is, I'm not sure the Flight Attendants clearly understand the policy so you'll probably see different Flight Attendants doing different things. Unfortunate but it's not very clear to most.
Actually, here's a follow-up question: If a pax wants something else in lieu of the F meal, what happens to that F meal? It's not like they can reuse it for the next flight, and I'm guessing it wouldn't be served to the first lucky Y pax.

Either way, the F meal is a sunk cost, so logically there shouldn't be any reason not to give both the F meal and Y substitute to the pax.

Not trying to undercut the veracity your statement in any way, just curious and wanting to understand the rationale of the new policy.
I think a lucky crewmember gets an upgrade ^
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Actually, here's a follow-up question: If a pax wants something else in lieu of the F meal, what happens to that F meal?
I usually tell the FA to offer it to the pilots or the other FAs....A lot of times it goes to the back with the FAs. The pilots seem to like the desserts though...
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:22 am

And for that, I'm sorry, I don't have an answer. I think they don't want people stocking up on picnic packs to take to their hotel rooms or just getting extra because they can. The cost of those cheese plates is higher than just about any other food item served and there is limited space. Opening the full Y menu to F at any time, for any reason, would create a need for more space, which means something would have to be removed to create that space, and it would substantially increase costs. I think the intent is merely to provide an option to someone that may not want the F meal. Not to create a second (or third) meal service.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
How about this?

"A delectable selection of three types of handcrafted cheeses (Beecher's signature Flagship cheese, as well as melt-in-your-mouth brie and tangy sharp cheddar from Tillamook), accompanied by the plump grapes, slices of crisp juicy Washington State apples, and gourmet olive oil & sea salt crackers. Finish your in-flight dining experience with a piece of Seattle Chocolates finest truffle.

Sophisticated and local... just like Alaska Airlines. :-:"
I just try to ignore all the marketing adjectives, but I purchased it on a Sunday morning SEA-IAD flight ... it's a very nice light plate
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Done and done: Post #131
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24555608-post131.html

My notes:
  • PDB mini water bottles were already placed by our seats before boarding; no juice/water offered.
  • Good amount of smoked salmon, could have used more leafy things (though my wife's serving had more leafs). Too bad I couldn't partake.
  • I thought it was odd that we had a choice of rolls, but we were just handed whatever as part of our tray.
  • Short ribs were served more of a pot roast style, but still flavorful and tender. Green beans (sorry, "haricots verts" ) still had a snap to them, not overdone and limp like airplane veggies usually are.
  • Pork chop was also moist and tasty, though needed a pinch of salt. Broccolini likewise very good and not limp. Didn't try the quinoa/kale because... well... quinoa/kale!
  • Pecan tart was good, not overly sweet, though shell was less pie crust and more shortbread-y.

All in all, one of the best domestic F meals I've had in quite a while.
I saw your post in the Reports section, too. Thank you.

I'm not holding my breath for today's ANC-SEA and SEA-MSP flights. Somehow I don't think either lunch or dinner will be on par with the menu you've posted.

But at least I can console myself with the knowledge that I can ask for one of the stellar Y cheese plates if the F offerings aren't up to my standards.

The very idea of turning down food in F in lieu of Y food ...
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:45 am

I really like the AS cheese plate. There's something very civilized about flying across the wildness of the western US while sipping a nice glass of wine and enjoying a spot of cheese.

The menu from EWR can be easily translated like this:

Appetizer: Everyone in the pacific northwest is completely kuku for smoked fish, right?
Entree:
Enjoy a delicious french inspired meal, sure to make you thrilled that you're flying in F and happy that you're not one of the unwashed masses.
- or -
Okay you hippies. Here's some Quinoa. And you know what? We'll throw on Kale and Broccolini as well. Choke on that you fair trade granola cruncher. Don't let the door hit you in the ... on the way out of Joisey.
Dessert: A nice pecan pie for those who choose the first option above. Because we know that if you willingly chose quinoa and kale you certainly won't eat a pie containing actual sugar. We would have catered a second dessert for the kale crowd, but pot brownies are hard to source at EWR.

I think that about sums it up.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
No Brie on either of my two flights this month. I also thought it was strange.
Brie for me this month! Nomnomnom. (With catering out of BOS and SEA, though in the BOS case I suspect it was still loaded back at SEA/PDX/SAN.)

BTW, for those concerned about the cheese plates running out, I've heard distinctly mixed reviews of the "prebook a meal" service, but every time I've used it they've had one waiting with my name and seat printed on it. Complete with brie. (...and my preferred coach seats are 6A/F or 17A/F, and in 17 the odds of a sold-out cheese plate are decent, so it's been pretty useful.)
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think I come across on FT as pickier that I really am....I think...hmmm....I guess the problem is that I've yet to see my two favorite food items on any flight, regardless of airline:

1. Buffalo wings (with extra wing sauce)
2. Nachos supreme (come to think of it, has I don't think I've ever seen any in-flight meal use avocados....they could add a little lemon to keep them green too)
Dear God, no ... NO wings!

(I actually like quinoa/kale)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.