Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrades Still Broken

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Interesting side note that does not mean anything, but in the boarding line for SEA DFW and the return DFW SEA the men in front of me each had Delta diamond tags hanging off their bags (backpack and rollers), they settled up in F, as I made my way back to exit row. The FA indicated there was one more 75k in the back on the DFW SEA leg, I hope there was actually two others since I was third on the list. I was able to move from 16B to 17C while on the rental car shuttle, but only because I was checking for open seats often. I got lucky in that who ever was in 17C either got upgraded or cancelled out.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
Interesting side note that does not mean anything, but in the boarding line for SEA DFW and the return DFW SEA the men in front of me each had Delta diamond tags hanging off their bags (backpack and rollers), they settled up in F, as I made my way back to exit row. The FA indicated there was one more 75k in the back on the DFW SEA leg, I hope there was actually two others since I was third on the list. I was able to move from 16B to 17C while on the rental car shuttle, but only because I was checking for open seats often. I got lucky in that who ever was in 17C either got upgraded or cancelled out.
Perhaps they paid for first and are crediting to DL?
Old Mar 8, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ctporter
Yikes...how did you end up in 16B originally? I can't remember a time when I booked a flight that didn't have plenty of window/aisle seats in bulkhead or exit row....there always seems to be plenty of good seats to pick from when I initially book since it's only open to elites (even when I book "late" which for me is about a month out).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yikes...how did you end up in 16B originally? I can't remember a time when I booked a flight that didn't have plenty of window/aisle seats in bulkhead or exit row....there always seems to be plenty of good seats to pick from when I initially book since it's only open to elites (even when I book "late" which for me is about a month out).
Not on the SEA - DFW flight. Those flights are exceptionally full with gold and 75K. I fly that route every other week and the upgrade list is typically 40 people long. Unless you book more than a month in advance, no chance of getting a good seat. I compulsively check flights for better seats, so don't usually end up in a middle seat (though it has happened), but am often in the high twenties, row 30 or something....

This is also the flight where they often split boarding between first class and status members. Once status is on board, the plane is 3/4 full no chance for overhead space...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Perhaps they paid for first and are crediting to DL?
Or paid for First and are crediting AS.

People fly various airlines. Bag tags mean nothing.

Wonder what the poster would think of my United 1K bag tags when I fly AS.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Loungeact
Not on the SEA - DFW flight. Those flights are exceptionally full with gold and 75K.
AS should consider adding a 10:00 am SEA-DFW and a 4:30 pm return.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Remember about a year ago when they told us we HAD to call in and reconfirm all our reservations? And all that did was set us back (way back) on the upgrade list because they "didn't have the mechanism to place everyone back where they were, it was at the time we reconfirmed".

And now this?

There HAS to be some integrity to the upgrade system or it is worthless.
That's really the issue. I have no problem not getting upgraded. Other people fly more than me. Good on them. They get the upgrade. They deserve it, but when the system is broken on a systemic level, they don't tell their staff and it screws the frequent fliers in the process then it's a serious problem.

Of course, we'd have people bringing it up at the MVP Gold lunches, but they're gone now.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Now I know why I am 0/5 to date.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

CS response

After multiple emails this is the response that I received:
"

I had your past two reservations reviewed by Tech Support Analyst to determine if there were any abnormalities. We were able to determine that each reservation encountered a known "bug" we have with the upgrade process. This bug has the highest priority to resolve and we are working very closely with our Reservation System, Sabre, however we do not have a timeline for it to be resolved. Like with most bugs, much research and testing is required to determine how to make sure we can successfully have a resolution to stop the bug from occurring in the future. "
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by drc1912
"

I had your past two reservations reviewed by Tech Support Analyst to determine if there were any abnormalities. We were able to determine that each reservation encountered a known "bug" we have with the upgrade process. This bug has the highest priority to resolve and we are working very closely with our Reservation System, Sabre, however we do not have a timeline for it to be resolved. Like with most bugs, much research and testing is required to determine how to make sure we can successfully have a resolution to stop the bug from occurring in the future. "
As a newbie to AS, I must say I'm impressed by this particular honest-seeming response. However, I'm not aware of the history to which experienced AS flyers have referred.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

To be fair, that response took over two weeks, three emails, and finally CC'ing the VP of Customer Service. It took a lot to get that minuscule amount of information.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So who is getting upgraded?? I got more upgrades last year as an MVP than I am this year as a Gold. This sucks rocks. Even if they can't help it, it still sucks. I feel like I wasted my time and money going for Gold. I feel REALLY badly for you 75ks!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
So who is getting upgraded?? I got more upgrades last year as an MVP than I am this year as a Gold. This sucks rocks. Even if they can't help it, it still sucks. I feel like I wasted my time and money going for Gold. I feel REALLY badly for you 75ks!
I would feel badly for me too, but as of yet I haven't had this experience.

Now having made that point, I'm sure it will start.

It's easy to say, but have heart. AS knows there's a problem and I trust it will be fixed soon. And you'll get the benefits you earned.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by drc1912
"

This is not okay. If there is a known bug, until it is fixed Revenue Management should stop releasing U space at T-24 and GAs should process all upgrades at the gate to maintain the integrity of the waitlist. It's the appearance that Alaska doesn't really care that their upgrade process is screwed up that is truly frustrating.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pdxray
This is not okay. If there is a known bug, until it is fixed Revenue Management should stop releasing U space at T-24 and GAs should process all upgrades at the gate to maintain the integrity of the waitlist. It's the appearance that Alaska doesn't really care that their upgrade process is screwed up that is truly frustrating.
That would help with upgrade jumping at T-24 online check-in, but they still release upgrade space before T-24 (when there are still elites on the waitlist) and generally, you just need to be the first to call and get them to grab you the U space before someone else calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.