Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrades Still Broken

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Yes, if there is U space available at the upgrade window, you're normally good-to-go and the upgrade should automatically process, the problems start to come into play when U space is release well after the upgrade windows while you're still on the waitlist (particularly after the MVP window).
thanks for clarifying what exactly was happening. i'm fortunate to usually be upgraded at T72 or at the worst T48, so this is something i will have to keep an eye on if things ever drag out longer than that. i usually try to remember to check on my upgrades shortly after each window, if i'm not upgraded i always double check that U isn't open, but not having to babysit is always a good thing.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:40 pm

I wondered what was going on. Being Gold 75K I had never NOT been upgraded....until last week. And to make it more absurd, I was shown as #2 on the waiting list for my flight --- then hours later I was somehow dropped to #4 on the waiting list. How can a Gold 75K be dropped down on the waiting list once I check in?

I think it's broken - and "you're right" to the comment about the CSRs all sounding shocked when you call to discuss your upgrade status.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by bofc
I wondered what was going on. Being Gold 75K I had never NOT been upgraded....until last week. And to make it more absurd, I was shown as #2 on the waiting list for my flight --- then hours later I was somehow dropped to #4 on the waiting list. How can a Gold 75K be dropped down on the waiting list once I check in?

I think it's broken - and "you're right" to the comment about the CSRs all sounding shocked when you call to discuss your upgrade status.
As a 75K I rarely get upgraded. I have also experienced the drop down the waitlist and assume that "fare class" (ie price paid) trumps date of purchase so that another 75k'r bought a full fare ticket after I had checked in and jumped me in the queue. At lease I hope that's what's happening.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75k
Originally Posted by bofc

I've yet to be upgraded this year (0/6) as a 75k and the highest I've been on the waitlist I think is 3. If your looking at the alaska airlines app that shows the waitlist I think that your only added to that list once you've checked in. So those with higher priority get slotted above you once they've checked in. I've got to believe there are significantly more 75ks this year and hence my dismal upgrade rate.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

...now that AS is accepting status matches to 75K
Old Mar 2, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by RedmondFlyer
I've yet to be upgraded this year (0/6) as a 75k and the highest I've been on the waitlist I think is 3. If your looking at the alaska airlines app that shows the waitlist I think that your only added to that list once you've checked in. So those with higher priority get slotted above you once they've checked in. I've got to believe there are significantly more 75ks this year and hence my dismal upgrade rate.
That is correct, you don't show on the waitlist until you check in. So, if you check in at exactly T-24, you should be #1, but will reach your real spot once everyone else has checked in.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by RedmondFlyer
I've yet to be upgraded this year (0/6) as a 75k and the highest I've been on the waitlist I think is 3.
Originally Posted by slopeboy40
As a 75K I rarely get upgraded.
Holy cow... What is going on? As a 75k in years past I have pretty much never missed an upgrade. Reports of being rarely upgraded and being 0 for 6 is pretty sobering news...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whimike
Holy cow... What is going on? As a 75k in years past I have pretty much never missed an upgrade. Reports of being rarely upgraded and being 0 for 6 is pretty sobering news...
Yikes...I agree...that's pretty sad...."something's rotten in Denmark"...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:25 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by whimike
What is going on? As a 75k in years past I have pretty much never missed an upgrade.
More purchased F on longer routes and more top tier elites due to DL and AA status matches.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by dayone
More purchased F on longer routes and more top tier elites due to DL and AA status matches.
That may be part of it but it certainly does not explain why MVPs or partner elites are being offered upgrades at checkin while bypassing 75Ks on the waitlist.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flytoeat
That may be part of it but it certainly does not explain why MVPs or partner elites are being offered upgrades at checkin while bypassing 75Ks on the waitlist.
And don't forget the paid upgrades being offered to anyone as long as they check-in and grab the U space before an elite....I guess I shouldn't complain, at least if we "win the race to check-in", elites still get the fee waived...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:00 am

Hi -

So is it the collected wisdom on this thread that AS elites have to check in at T-24 on the nose to maximize our chances of getting upgraded?

Having to do that constantly at WN (to avoid getting a C boarding pass) was one reason i stopped flying with them.

OK, the ability to redeem for TPAC F/J was another ....
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

So is it the collected wisdom on this thread that AS elites have to check in at T-24 on the nose to maximize our chances of getting upgraded?

Having to do that constantly at WN (to avoid getting a C boarding pass) was one reason i stopped flying with them.

OK, the ability to redeem for TPAC F/J was another ....
Yes, with the caveat being that when U space is available at the upgrade window, the automatic upgrade processor seems to mostly be working....if U space opens up AFTER you're well past the upgrade window, then you need to monitor U space every 5 minutes (not kidding) and when you see it open up....
1. If it's not within 24 hours, call customer service and beg them to process the upgrade (to Alaska's credit, they are usually really good about this even though you'll have to hear the "that's strange--this isn't suppose to happen" speech again).

2. After 24 hours, hurry up and do online check-in as fast as you possibly can because the U space is now "fair game" to anyone checking-in before you (even non-elites, although they will have to pay the upgrade fee).
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, United Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite Ambassador
Yep, saw this early this morning on 222 to SFO from PDX. 27 people on the waitlist for first. At a few minutes before boarding, the gate agent asks if anyone would like to purchase an upgrade as there were 2 open slots. I walked up to the agent and politely asked if any of the 27 people on the waitlist, including 75k's and Gold's (my situation) had been upgraded to those seats and her reply was "when they open up paid upgrades at 30 minutes before boarding, anyone can purchase an upgrade." I asked her how long this had been going on and she said for as long as she could remember.

Flying to SFO wasn't a big deal to get upgraded on so I dropped the conversation but I could see a lot of people asking the same question once I left. Needless to say this doesn't sit well with top flyers and as such, I'm one to vote for changing this or at least taking it out of control of the gate agent so it automatically processes up to that 30 minute window.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Portland1k
I walked up to the agent and politely asked if any of the 27 people on the waitlist, including 75k's and Gold's (my situation) had been upgraded to those seats and her reply was "when they open up paid upgrades at 30 minutes before boarding, anyone can purchase an upgrade." I asked her how long this had been going on and she said for as long as she could remember.
Wow - sounds like something's seriously wrong. Any time upgrades are offered for sale, any upgrade-eligible person should be able to get that seat for free (and obviously automatically, not by asking). As an MVP, I've been in situations where they are selling upgrades and I'm not upgraded already because I've got a companion, but by going to the counter I can get mine for free and only pay for the companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.