Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP status after one round-trip for Utah residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P

It looks like Alaska is responding to the Delta shortcut to status offered to Washington, Oregon, and Alaska residents by offering an even sweeter deal to Utah residents. Just one round-trip flight between SLC and any of their non-stop destinations by May 15 and you get MVP status. I guess they're trying to fill up all those empty F cabins to/from SLC.

The link is at http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo/...spx?pid=AS1505
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:32 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
so apparently I need to either relocate to SEA or SLC, and then that way I can make status through gimmicks of either this or DEQM promos rather than the real legitimate ways

If AS keeps this up all they are going to do is keep alienating and pissing off their long time FF base and running them out of town just to pick off a few DL elites. Maybe its once again time to reconsider changing programs rather than keep watching AS and DL participate in this juvenile assed behavior in diluting the elite levels. The real legitimate way to get more business is to lower your fares lower than the competition and or provide better service!!!

Last edited by ANC; Feb 13, 2015 at 4:38 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
Looks like it's only good through the end of 2015.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:45 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by ANC
so apparently I need to either relocate to SEA or SLC, and then that way I can make status through gimmicks of either this or DEQM promos rather than the real legitimate ways

If AS keeps this up all they are going to do is keep alienating and pissing off their long time FF base and running them out of town just to pick off a few DL elites. Maybe its once again time to reconsider changing programs rather than keep watching AS and DL participate in this juvenile assed behavior in diluting the elite levels. The real legitimate way to get more business is to lower your fares lower than the competition and or provide better service!!!

I understand the sentiment, but do you really expect that this will affect you that much?

They get MVP, so they aren't taking away your Gold upgrade seats, even if they are on one of the few routes we have out of there that isn't on QX.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:47 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by Earendel
Looks like it's only good through the end of 2015.
I guess if you are a gold it shouldnt really bug you that much although it does bug me just based in the principle of the whole thing. As an MVP it should make you livid if you earned your MVP the genuine way of BIS flight miles of 20k or 25k on partners. Golds and 75ks should still be well above all those mvps on the route for upgrades but I dont want to hear threads of MVPs whining about how they are all the sudden waitlisted 74th on the waitlist from SEA to SLC on flight 724
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
To be fair, on all my AS flights to/from SLC, there have only been 3-4 passengers in first even after all elites have been upgraded.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Mileage Plan members living in Alaska can get a bunch of benefits via Club 49 without even having to fly. Not so much for Outsiders.

AS is spreadng the wealth.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:13 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by dave1013
Mileage Plan members living in Alaska can get a bunch of benefits via Club 49 without even having to fly. Not so much for Outsiders.
AS is spreadng the wealth.
like what? A free bag? lol . Something that doesnt cost AS any extra but a few years ago was a new way to pad their wallet
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: All the Programs...
Originally Posted by mylifenomadic
To be fair, on all my AS flights to/from SLC, there have only been 3-4 passengers in first even after all elites have been upgraded.
Pretty much every flight I took xSLC last year, I was able to pay into FC at T-24... The Y load doesn't seem too bad at least on SLC-SEA but the rest of the routes are pretty thin...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
I am thinking about the capacity and how much AS can do to compete with Delta in the long run, maybe Delta will eventually win this since Delta does have more money to burn, plus the impact on Delta would be so much smaller than impacts on AS.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ANC
I guess if you are a gold it shouldnt really bug you that much although it does bug me just based in the principle of the whole thing. As an MVP it should make you livid if you earned your MVP the genuine way of BIS flight miles of 20k or 25k on partners. Golds and 75ks should still be well above all those mvps on the route for upgrades but I dont want to hear threads of MVPs whining about how they are all the sudden waitlisted 74th on the waitlist from SEA to SLC on flight 724
What about the MVP's that are there by way of their friend or relative that was an MVP Gold who "awarded" them with that status by way of their own status? Are they any different?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by ANC
like what? A free bag? lol . Something that doesnt cost AS any extra but a few years ago was a new way to pad their wallet
From my perspective the 30% off tickets will come handy when I have to go back home to PA on short notice. In fact, I've already had the sad occasion to do that once. Grateful I didn't have to pay full Y.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
What about the MVP's that are there by way of their friend or relative that was an MVP Gold who "awarded" them with that status by way of their own status? Are they any different?
I am MVP Gold and to my knowledge, I can't "award" anyone with MVP status unless that's a new benefit I wasn't aware of....I thought only 75Ks could nominate someone.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I am MVP Gold and to my knowledge, I can't "award" anyone with MVP status unless that's a new benefit I wasn't aware of....I thought only 75Ks could nominate someone.
Correct- the gift of MVP status can only be bestowed by a MVPG75K.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by dave1013
From my perspective the 30% off tickets will come handy when I have to go back home to PA on short notice. In fact, I've already had the sad occasion to do that once. Grateful I didn't have to pay full Y.
What's the 30%?

And even though I mostly fly Alaska from SLC to Vegas, where it's a Q400, there are other benefits to MVP I'll probably take advantage of. Thanks to OP for posting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.