Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska miles on partner codeshares

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:55 am

Are there any experiences of people being denied when trying to get mileage credit for a flight that is not marketed by the operating carrier and falls outside of AS's range of flight numbers?

Here is my upcoming situation:
I'm on JFK-CDG in the fall on a paid I fare, BA marketed, AA metal. I'm also an AS MVP Gold, but no status with AA or BA.

The trip is 7270miles. I calculate the following:
Credit to BA - 150% - 10905 miles
Credit to AA - 125% - 9088 miles
Credit to AS - 125%*200% - 18175 miles

AS is the obvious choice, but I don't want to be stuck with nothing. Anybody have experience of being denied? If I am denied AS, can I then try to claim BA? I'll make sure to save all boarding passes.

I wonder if it makes sense to intentionally not have a FF on the reservation and just try to work things afterward?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by kilbornr
Your expression of math for the AS case is confusing but I think it's the right RDM result - I class gives 50% bonus and then MVPG gives 100% bonus, so you end up at 2.5x the base flown.

AS is the obvious choice, but I don't want to be stuck with nothing. Anybody have experience of being denied? If I am denied AS, can I then try to claim BA? I'll make sure to save all boarding passes.

I wonder if it makes sense to intentionally not have a FF on the reservation and just try to work things afterward?
I've had my AS number on a BA metal AA number flight and gotten no miles for it. I (foolishly) didn't try to credit it elsewhere.
I've also had BA credit to AA rather than AS (despite my AS number being on the boarding pass). In that case, I was able to get AA to uncredit the miles and then get AS to credit them.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:41 am

In my experience, you'll get credit on AS. To be safe, you can chose not to enter a frequent flyer number and send them to AS. If for some reason AS won't credit, you can then submit them to BA or AA.

Are there any experiences of people being denied when trying to get mileage credit for a flight that is not marketed by the operating carrier and falls outside of AS's range of flight numbers?

Here is my upcoming situation:
I'm on JFK-CDG in the fall on a paid I fare, BA marketed, AA metal. I'm also an AS MVP Gold, but no status with AA or BA.

Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
Your expression of math for the AS case is confusing but I think it's the right RDM result - I class gives 50% bonus and then MVPG gives 100% bonus, so you end up at 2.5x the base flown.

I class gives 25% bonus (125%) and MVPG gives 100% bonus (200%). 125%*200%=1.25*2.00=2.5x
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by flytoeat
In my experience, you'll get credit on AS. To be safe, you can chose not to enter a frequent flyer number and send them to AS. If for some reason AS won't credit, you can then submit them to BA or AA.
Thanks for relaying the experience!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:52 pm

I class gives 25% bonus (125%) and MVPG gives 100% bonus (200%). 125%*200%=1.25*2.00=2.5x
OK so two things:
1. Class of service bonus and MVP bonus are not multiplicative. They are instead additive. If you were in eg BA F (200% bonus miles, aka 300% earned) and an MVP (100% bonus miles, aka 200% earned) you end up with 4x the base miles and not 6x.
2. I on BA gives 50% COS bonus, not 25%:
Originally Posted by https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/partners/british.aspx
Club World (Business Class) Cabin: Earn actual flight miles* flown in R or I classes of service, plus 50% Bonus Miles. Earn actual flight miles* flown in J, C, or D classes of service, plus 150% Bonus Miles.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
OK so two things:
1. Class of service bonus and MVP bonus are not multiplicative. They are instead additive. If you were in eg BA F (200% bonus miles, aka 300% earned) and an MVP (100% bonus miles, aka 200% earned) you end up with 4x the base miles and not 6x.
2. I on BA gives 50% COS bonus, not 25%:
Thanks for the clarification. I see my mistake. I was assuming the COS was based on the operating carrier, not the marketing carrier.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:54 am

Thanks for the clarification. I see my mistake. I was assuming the COS was based on the operating carrier, not the marketing carrier.
Oh right that.

So actually if you're applying for a credit after the flights for AA operated BA marketed, AS claims they won't credit you (and generally the BA flight number will fall outside of the range of numbers allowed for credit on the AS partner page). Some people advocate getting an AA BP and submitting your claim as an AA flight in which case it would be AA metal/AA rules.
(I do not think you should do that but I won't debate that here)

So anyway, if it was credited as an AA I-class flight you'd actually get 16357.5 RDM (7270 * 100% (base) + 7270 * 25% (COS bonus) + 7270 * 100% (MVPG bonus)).
Old Sep 6, 2015, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
For those who have gotten credit on a partner codeshare on another partner (let's say, DL operated by AF), did you put your AS number in the reservation or leave it blank?

I'm thinking that a complicating factor could be presenting another airline's elite card (say, AZ's Freccia Alata card) for lounge access, and having the lounge attendants enter or replace/enter AZ's number on the reservation instead.

Just a mental exercise, of course...
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Does a DL marketed flight (operated by AM), X class, earn miles in AS program?
Coz AM X class earns zero. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by igor82j
Does a DL marketed flight (operated by AM), X class, earn miles in AS program?
Coz AM X class earns zero. Thanks!
Emphasis added:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ers/delta.aspx

To qualify for mileage accrual, please note that your flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below and your flight must be marketed and operated by Delta.

Delta Air Lines
Eligible Flight Numbers

0001 - 0999
1050 - 4363
4439 - 6466
7300 - 7348
7362 - 7447
8770 - 8969
I wouldn't count on it, but I guess go ahead and submit the boarding pass if it's not credited, worst that can happen is you get nothing?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 4:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

This issue with trying to keep to a 100% non-codeshare itinerary for purposes of full mileage capture is what's keeping me from jumping on the AS MP bandwagon (away from AA). I'm not sure if there's any comfort in knowing that YMMV..

If AS can clear this up soon, it would be such a boon for AAdvantage elites looking to jump ship. Then again, the codeshare mileage thing has been an issue for a long time now.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
For those who have gotten credit on a partner codeshare on another partner (let's say, DL operated by AF), did you put your AS number in the reservation or leave it blank?
I've always had my AS MP number in the reservation.

Neil
Old Jun 15, 2016, 7:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I was denied when I tried to claim an AF flight operated by Tarom that fell outside of the range. The response I got was since the flight was operated by Tarom, I couldn't get credit.

It seems the ask nicely approach only works when the flight is marketed and operated by AF partners (e.g. DL/AF)

Neil
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
Originally Posted by missamo80

It seems the ask nicely approach only works when the flight is marketed and operated by AF partners (e.g. DL/AF)

Neil

Not quite. It should work if the AF partner is also an AS partner, which could be either DL or KL. So if it is operated by DL or KL and marketed by AF you should be able to get the partner credits based on those earning charts IF the flight falls within the ranges of eligible flights. It should also work with the OW codeshares as long as they are all AS partners ie AA/BA/QF/JL.

Your example is a AF partner that is not a AS partner. So all AS has to work with is the AF flight number which is outside of the earnings chart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.