Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS to Offer Free Inflight Entertainment through March

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS to Offer Free Inflight Entertainment through March

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Currently inboard AS 768. We have the new tablets onboard. Plus the GoGo streaming movie service. Only problem is the plugin for Alaska Beyond is not loaded

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 31, 2015 at 11:28 am
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Currently inboard AS 768. We have the new tablets onboard. Plus the GoGo streaming movie service
Wow! Bingo! You got the tablets a day early! Let us know what you think of them...
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I edited my post above about issues with the beyond streaming plugin not installed. I think the movie selection on the players is better than streaming. The Xbox games are nothing special just standard stuff like solitaire.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by abner o'mal
I've had good luck with Beyond video on my Kindle HDX this month. Just had to load Chrome and the GoGo video app before leaving home and it worked the first time out.
Appears Chrome for the Fire is a side load, correct? As it's not available through Amazon's Kindle App Store.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Currently inboard AS 768. We have the new tablets onboard. Plus the GoGo streaming movie service. Only problem is the plugin for Alaska Beyond is not loaded
The black tablets? AS 766 has them too today.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
The black tablets? AS 766 has them too today.
The Toshiba windows tablet with black case.

I figured out the streaming movie issue. There is a special icon below the GoGo internet icon on the main menu.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some action shots

Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Some action shots
Thanks for uploading the photos of the new tablets and content. How do they compare in screen size and in thickness to the clunky old digeplayers?

It looks like you can access GoGo Internet from the new tablets, too. Is that correct?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Also, did you have to pay for Gogo internet on the AS tablet?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Thanks for uploading the photos of the new tablets and content. How do they compare in screen size and in thickness to the clunky old digeplayers?

It looks like you can access GoGo Internet from the new tablets, too. Is that correct?
Much thinner and and screen is much bigger. I dont think the image quality is much better but it is easier to see. One thing about the stand is it comes out from the bottom so you cannot hook it to the back of the seat in front should you be in coach.

Size compared to in-flight magazine

Thickness compares to inflight magazine

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Also, did you have to pay for Gogo internet on the AS tablet?
You do have to pay extra for gogo internet access with the tablet. Unless of course you already have a subscription. Good part is its much better browser than the old dig-e's should you forget your laptop. Although it is Internet Explorer.

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 31, 2015 at 2:11 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Much thinner and and screen is much bigger. I dont think the image quality is much better but it is easier to see. One thing about the stand is it comes out from the bottom so you cannot hook it to the back of the seat in front should you be in coach.

Size compared to in-flight magazine:

Thickness compares to inflight magazine:

You do have to pay extra for gogo internet access with the tablet. Unless of course you already have a subscription. Good part is its much better browser than the old dig-e's should you forget your laptop. Although it is Internet Explorer.
Thanks for the additional photos and your observations, CDKing. I'm looking forward to checking out the system on my next flight in early February.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If there's other questions let me know. I'm on the same plane going back to San Diego this evening
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Thanks for the additional photos and your observations, CDKing. I'm looking forward to checking out the system on my next flight in early February.
If you (or anyone) wants to check full tablet specs, the underlying model is a Toshiba Encore 2.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS
Is this free service until March available on all AS flights, or only ones over a certain duration? Flying to SFO next week but it's only a 2hr flight.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyden
Is this free service until March available on all AS flights, or only ones over a certain duration? Flying to SFO next week but it's only a 2hr flight.
Not all planes are equipped. As long as it's installed it does not matter flight length

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
If you (or anyone) wants to check full tablet specs, the underlying model is a Toshiba Encore 2.
A few times it said it was running slow on memory

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.