Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Storm Of The Century - East Coast 1/26/15 - 1/28/15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Summary of storm related activity as it relates to Alaska Airlines

Weather Waiver

Event:
Northeast Winter Storm

Travel To/From:
Baltimore (BWI), Boston (BOS), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), and Washington, D.C. - Reagan National (DCA).

Tickets Purchased On/Before:
January 25, 2015.

Original Travel Dates:
January 26-27, 2015

Exception Policy:

We will waive the change fees and the difference in the price of your ticket, if your new travel is booked in the same cabin and completed on or before February 1, 2015. You may also request a refund if you have chosen not to travel at all. Refunds must be requested by February 1, 2015.

Flight Status

Cancellations:

Baltimore (BWI): None yet

Boston (BOS): flights cancelled for Tuesday.

Newark (EWR): All flights cancelled for Tuesday except AS14 SEA-EWR evening arrival

Philadelphia (PHL): None yet

Washington, D.C. - Reagan National (DCA): None yet

Destination specific warnings:

Boston: Blizzard warning in effect. 2-3 feet of snow expected. State of Emergency. Driving ban in effect as of Midnight 1/26/15. Public transportation closed on Tuesday

New York: News is reporting this to be the worst winter storm in recorded history in NYC

Washington DC: Please fill in the blanks
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K

I know there are a few mixed threads about east coast weather waivers since the storms decided to wait until this last week. It does not appear AS has cancelled any flights yet but If you are booked especially for Tuesday you should get ahead of the crowds and rebook now using the weather waiver.

Expect northeastern seaboard to be shut down. They are calling this the worst storm in recorded history for NYC.

Massachusetts has already declared a state of emergency. Driving ban is going into effect at midnight tonight. Unless the forecasts are completely wrong, I do not expect it to be lifted until Wednesday at the earliest.

*Edit* the cancellations have started

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 26, 2015 at 11:52 am
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Sea-Ewr 27th canceled
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

*delete* BOS closure is not an official closure for Monday. AS flights are running today
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WinSea
Sea-Ewr 27th canceled
AS 14 SEA-EWR is still showing on-time on flightstats and AS site. I'm shocked its not cancelled yet
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
AS 14 SEA-EWR is still showing on-time on flightstats and AS site. I'm shocked its not cancelled yet
AS 8 and AS 11 are canceled this morning, and somehow they are still having AS 14 being scheduled, not for long I am assuming.

any updates on the 28th? Maybe I shall change my flights.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:22 pm

The most up to date forcast is the storm is going on until 28th 12:00 am EST.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Does that mean Tuesday night or Wednesday night at midnight? I had thought basically tomorrow will be the actual brutal storm, with Wednesday pretty much: The Aftermath, Day 1.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Does that mean Tuesday night or Wednesday night at midnight? I had thought basically tomorrow will be the actual brutal storm, with Wednesday pretty much: The Aftermath, Day 1.
I bet Boston does not start plowing the streets until wednesday
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I do feel Logan may be running (for the most part) by Wednesday though.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:09 pm

I think it means 28th mightnight, but it is just eastimate, Alaska's warning says 26-27 flights are effected and offers free cancelation and change, but who knows, they might extend the dates and flights as the situation goes more extreme, does not look good so far. We will see.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I bet Boston does not start plowing the streets until wednesday
"want to build a snowman"?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I do feel Logan may be running (for the most part) by Wednesday though.
Supposed to be sunny and clear at BOS by Wednesday mid-morning, I expect they'll achieve good ops by Wednesday afternoon.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:37 am

"Storm of the Century" didn't quite materialize in NYC.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Storm of the winter in BOS Although by 8am we already had 2 feet in Central MA
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Glad it went North of PHL. We had an on-time departure & it looks good for a quick turn. A lot of people seemed to have been spooked by the storm - I've never seen a load this light. Seat map 36 hours ago was full but I'd estimate we've got 60 +/- on board.

I upgraded to F at T-120 & it had been full. As of this morning so many cancelations that 6 spots opened for upgrades at T-2 or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.