Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2015 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: metallo
PLEASE EXPAND AND READ THIS EXTENSIVE WIKI:

An archive of reports of meals served on Alaska Airlines between Jan. 1, 2015 and July 31, 2015 is available in this thread. Posts in this thread prior to Aug. 1 are discussion only; reports prior to this date were kept in a separate thread.

We have an archive of previous threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...on-thread.html

This is for 2015 food reports and discussion.

For quick ease of locating reports, when reporting, please follow the following formatting (see an example here). Pease bold the following headings:
  • Date the flight was taken
  • Flight Number and Route flown
  • Time of Departure
  • Length of flight
  • Class of service
  • Pre-Departure Beverage service
  • Meal served
  • A brief description of the meal
  • Photograph of the meal, if possible

As well, please add a link to your specific post to the list below in the format of [date] [route] [meal type]. You can copy the URL of your specific post by clicking on the "#[post number]" in the upper-right corner of your post.

Food Reports:
12/31/14 SJC-PDX snack? with photos
1/1/15 LAX-SEA snack
1/2/15 SEA-ANC dinner
1/1/15 SJC-SEA snack
1/1/15 SEA-OGG dinner
1/8/15 menu
1/9/15 SEA-ANC dinner
1/6/15 and 1/9/15 PHX-SEA-PHX
1/9/15 BLI-HNL dinner
1/9/15 BOS-SAN dinner with photos
1/10/15 SAN-BOS breakfast with photos
1/24/15 ANC-PHX Lunch
1/24/15 PHX-ANC Dinner
1/27/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
1/27/15 PHL-SEA Dinner
1/28/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
1/28/15 PHL-SEA Dinner
1/29/15 SEA-ANC Lunch
1/31/15 EWR-SEA Dinner

2/1/15 SEA-DTW Breakfast
2/1/15 SAN-SEA Lunch
2/1/15 DTW-SEA Dinner
2/2/15 OGG-SJC Dinner
2/2/15 SEA-EWR Dinner
2/4/14 SEA-ABQ Lunch
2/5/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
2/7/17 SLC-SFO and SFO-SLC Snacks
2/7/15 DCA-PDX Dinner
2/8/15 SJC-OGG Breakfast
2/9/15 DCA-SEA Breakfast
2/9/15 ANC-PHX Lunch
2/9/15 PHX-ANC Dinner
2/16/15 SEA-SFO Snack
2/20/15 SEA-SNA Snack
2/26/15 SEA-ORD Breakfast
2/27/15 ORD-SEA Lunch/Snack

3/3/15 SEA-LAX Snack
3/3/15 LAX-SEA Snack

7/24/15 SFO-SEA Breakfast
7/29/15 ONT-SEA snack
7/30/15 ANC-JNU Snack
7/31/15 OAK-HNL breakfast
8/2/15 LAX-DCA lunch
8/?3?/15 LAX-SEA dinner
8/?4?/15 SAN-LIH lunch?
8/8/15 JNU-ANC Snack
8/23/15 ANC-JNU Breakfast
8/29/15 JNU-ANC Snack
9/5/15 STL-SEA Dinner

(Please help continue this categorization, both from the Jan-July thread as well as further reports in this thread)

Suggestions for other creative ways to parse this library of information:

Statistics (through January 11):
By flight:
Chipotle chicken with green beans and a cornbread muffin: SEA-ANC
Polenta with arugula salad: LAX-SEA, SEA-SNA-SEA
Cucina Fresca Three Cheese Ravioli: BOS-SAN

Current offerings:
As of [date], current meal choices:
Transcon breakfast:
Transcon lunch:
Transcon dinner:
Transcon snack:
Midcon breakfast:
Midcon lunch:
Midcon dinner:
Midcon snack:
West coast breakfast:
West coast lunch:
West coast dinner:
West coast snack:
Hawaii breakfast:
Hawaii lunch:
Hawaii dinner:
Hawaii snack:
[Other?]

For previous years please see the archives:

2009-2012
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2015 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I still think we need to change the thread title to "First Class Dining Discussion" or something similar. I like the two thread concept (despite just teasing our friend PDXPremier in the other one).
If it'll help cut down on accidental off-topic posts in each thread that need to be moved, I'm not necessary opposed...
I like this idea as well @:-)
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I still think we need to change the thread title to "First Class Dining Discussion" or something similar.
I agree. I believe this is also the formula followed in other airline forums. We might even go so far as to title it "Inflight Dining Discussion" given the quality and popularity of the food being served behind the curtain as well.

Despite a bit of tongue in cheek (there ought to be an emoticon for that!) - I actually appreciate the logic in the REPORT/DISCUSSION split. In theory it makes a lot of sense to me but in practice I think most people work better with the single thread system. Why not go with what most people are most comfortable with?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:58 am

I haven't had the polenta yet - maybe I'll clear on BOS-SAN this Thurs and be the lucky recipient.

What's wrong with it? I'm just surprised that polenta can cause so much discussion, if for no other reason that it's relatively hard to screw it up - if you cook it correctly, it holds its texture indefinitely when refrigerated, reheats well, and will taste like whatever you put in/on it. What part is AS catering screwing up?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
What's wrong with it? I'm just surprised that polenta can cause so much discussion, if for no other reason that it's relatively hard to screw it up - if you cook it correctly, it holds its texture indefinitely when refrigerated, reheats well, and will taste like whatever you put in/on it. What part is AS catering screwing up?
lf I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that a lot of people here simply don't care for the bland taste and texture of polenta. Personally, I think polenta is a nice change once in a while but of late it's been included in Alaska's meal offerings with distressing regularity.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:56 pm

I haven't had the polenta yet - maybe I'll clear on BOS-SAN this Thurs and be the lucky recipient.

It's the texture.

And it reminds me of baby food.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:28 pm

[flame-suit on]

I love polenta and kale.

Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
I remain in favor of having 2 threads, one for factual reports and the other for general discussion of the food. Just my two cents ...

PWMTrav, I respectfully disagree that polenta is relatively hard to screw up -- the catering staff seem to be quite capable of messing it up.

Polenta can be good when it's creamy and flavorful, or when it's been seared off and served hot with a robust sauce. But neither of those versions make it to the plate in F.

I've encountered rubbery chunks of cooked cornmeal that resemble the yellowed, aged foam insulation found in walls and ceilings. It is definitely NOT appetizing.

A couple of cases in point:

11/14/2014 -- AS #109 SEA-ANC S Herbed chicken with foam insulation polenta:

5/12/2014 -- AS #115 SEA-ANC Chicken with rubber polenta:
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CBear
It's the texture.

And it reminds me of baby food.
+1...and there are other, more "mainstream" options to appeal to the masses....rice pilaf, garlic mashed potatoes, roasted red potatoes....just look at any restaurant menu...these are very commonly consumed side dishes....I'm sure it's there somewhere, but I can't remember seeing a lot of polenta on any restaurant menu I've looked at lately.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
PWMTrav, I respectfully disagree that polenta is relatively hard to screw up -- the catering staff seem to be quite capable of messing it up.
I'm actually impressed. Maybe it's because my family is from Italy (the northern parts), but it takes some talent to get polenta to the texture of foam insulation. My guess is that it's instant polenta cooked, cooled and reheated. Saves on prep and cook time, but the only time instant polenta is edible is immediately after cooking (or basically reconstituting) it.

Gotta tell you, though, the polenta isn't the first problem I have in either of those pics. What the hell is going on with that sauce on the chicken?

I'm almost curious about this - I kind of am hoping for the polenta and kale, but I'm going to have dinner at BOS before boarding anyway
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm almost curious about this - I kind of am hoping for the polenta and kale, but I'm going to have dinner at BOS before boarding anyway
Since you are flying in January, the menu for BOS-SAN has no kale or polenta. Just the Cod w/ Orzo vs Pasta filled with cheese.

Sadly i need to mention to Beckoa that Fuddruckers is closed for construction. I did notice a Wine Bar i had not seen before. Its a lefthand turn after exiting the up escilator from the tunnel connecting the 2 sections of terminal A. Harpoon is near the AS gates @ A21/22.

There's a few places to grab a bite in post security section 1 of the terminal. One there before going down the escalator. Wendy's is the fast food burger joint of that section. If you turn left just after clearing security. I think there's a dunkins nearby. I ignore the rest in that section as I'm usually honed in on getting my Wendy's fries fix on my way out when I arrive.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
I'm actually impressed. Maybe it's because my family is from Italy (the northern parts), but it takes some talent to get polenta to the texture of foam insulation. My guess is that it's instant polenta cooked, cooled and reheated. Saves on prep and cook time, but the only time instant polenta is edible is immediately after cooking (or basically reconstituting) it.
I do enjoy polenta when it's properly cooked and served as part of an Italian meal, PWMTrav, but the stuff that's served on AS gives polenta a bad name. Please don't be giving them any ideas about using the instant stuff.

Gotta tell you, though, the polenta isn't the first problem I have in either of those pics. What the hell is going on with that sauce on the chicken?
I have no idea about the so-called "sauce" on the chicken, but I can give them credit for one thing: Those meals were served 6 months apart, yet the catering staff was remarkably consistent in getting an identical, gloppy consistency to the goo on top of the chicken.

That takes a certain amount of warped skill, IMO.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I do enjoy polenta when it's properly cooked and served as part of an Italian meal, PWMTrav, but the stuff that's served on AS gives polenta a bad name. Please don't be giving them any ideas about using the instant stuff.
Oh they're already using the instant stuff I guarantee costs prevent a properly slow cooked batch of polenta, even at catering quantities. The worst part is, there are few staples as cheap as polenta. It's friggin' corn meal. You have to take so many shortcuts to make it inedible that I really have to wonder if they're going out of their way - or substituting foam for the grain.

I have no idea about the so-called "sauce" on the chicken, but I can give them credit for one thing: Those meals were served 6 months apart, yet the catering staff was remarkably consistent in getting an identical, gloppy consistency to the goo on top of the chicken.

That takes a certain amount of warped skill, IMO.
I'm not sure if impressive is the right word, but damn, I am impressed by that feat.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
Sadly i need to mention to Beckoa that Fuddruckers is closed for construction. I did notice a Wine Bar i had not seen before. Its a lefthand turn after exiting the up escilator from the tunnel connecting the 2 sections of terminal A. Harpoon is near the AS gates @ A21/22.
I've grown so tired of the Cod/Ravioli option that I self-cater on those flights where I'm aware of it being served. It's a long flight westbound to San Diego and it's nice to have some sustenance mid-flight.

In Boston - directly across the hallway from Fuddruckers - is a place called Fresh City. You can see a copy of their menu right HERE. Just click on the appropriate listings for a more detailed description of their offerings.

I think their burritos and stir-fry are top notch. The burritos in particular travel well, don't emanate potentially offensive odors to those seated around you and - best of all - they taste great!

On a less healthy but equally tasty note, the clam chowda over at Harpoon's (The bar in the gate area) is also pretty darned good.

On a final note - one of the best things about these restaurants is that they're located in the same section of Terminal A that Alaska's flights depart from. This allows you a better chance of buying them directly before boarding your flight. Many other restaurants are a good 5-6 minute walk over in the other section of Terminal A (Gates 1-12).

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jan 13, 2015 at 3:29 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:45 pm

If the plan is to eat at BOS, it's hard to go wrong with Legal Test Kitchen. It's just past security, before you cross the chasm into whatever the hell that part of the terminal should be called.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL DM
Had the same dinner menu today(Ravioli/Cod/Salad/Cobbler) looks like this menu covers AS majority long flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.