Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2015 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: metallo
PLEASE EXPAND AND READ THIS EXTENSIVE WIKI:

An archive of reports of meals served on Alaska Airlines between Jan. 1, 2015 and July 31, 2015 is available in this thread. Posts in this thread prior to Aug. 1 are discussion only; reports prior to this date were kept in a separate thread.

We have an archive of previous threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...on-thread.html

This is for 2015 food reports and discussion.

For quick ease of locating reports, when reporting, please follow the following formatting (see an example here). Pease bold the following headings:
  • Date the flight was taken
  • Flight Number and Route flown
  • Time of Departure
  • Length of flight
  • Class of service
  • Pre-Departure Beverage service
  • Meal served
  • A brief description of the meal
  • Photograph of the meal, if possible

As well, please add a link to your specific post to the list below in the format of [date] [route] [meal type]. You can copy the URL of your specific post by clicking on the "#[post number]" in the upper-right corner of your post.

Food Reports:
12/31/14 SJC-PDX snack? with photos
1/1/15 LAX-SEA snack
1/2/15 SEA-ANC dinner
1/1/15 SJC-SEA snack
1/1/15 SEA-OGG dinner
1/8/15 menu
1/9/15 SEA-ANC dinner
1/6/15 and 1/9/15 PHX-SEA-PHX
1/9/15 BLI-HNL dinner
1/9/15 BOS-SAN dinner with photos
1/10/15 SAN-BOS breakfast with photos
1/24/15 ANC-PHX Lunch
1/24/15 PHX-ANC Dinner
1/27/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
1/27/15 PHL-SEA Dinner
1/28/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
1/28/15 PHL-SEA Dinner
1/29/15 SEA-ANC Lunch
1/31/15 EWR-SEA Dinner

2/1/15 SEA-DTW Breakfast
2/1/15 SAN-SEA Lunch
2/1/15 DTW-SEA Dinner
2/2/15 OGG-SJC Dinner
2/2/15 SEA-EWR Dinner
2/4/14 SEA-ABQ Lunch
2/5/15 SEA-PHL Breakfast
2/7/17 SLC-SFO and SFO-SLC Snacks
2/7/15 DCA-PDX Dinner
2/8/15 SJC-OGG Breakfast
2/9/15 DCA-SEA Breakfast
2/9/15 ANC-PHX Lunch
2/9/15 PHX-ANC Dinner
2/16/15 SEA-SFO Snack
2/20/15 SEA-SNA Snack
2/26/15 SEA-ORD Breakfast
2/27/15 ORD-SEA Lunch/Snack

3/3/15 SEA-LAX Snack
3/3/15 LAX-SEA Snack

7/24/15 SFO-SEA Breakfast
7/29/15 ONT-SEA snack
7/30/15 ANC-JNU Snack
7/31/15 OAK-HNL breakfast
8/2/15 LAX-DCA lunch
8/?3?/15 LAX-SEA dinner
8/?4?/15 SAN-LIH lunch?
8/8/15 JNU-ANC Snack
8/23/15 ANC-JNU Breakfast
8/29/15 JNU-ANC Snack
9/5/15 STL-SEA Dinner

(Please help continue this categorization, both from the Jan-July thread as well as further reports in this thread)

Suggestions for other creative ways to parse this library of information:

Statistics (through January 11):
By flight:
Chipotle chicken with green beans and a cornbread muffin: SEA-ANC
Polenta with arugula salad: LAX-SEA, SEA-SNA-SEA
Cucina Fresca Three Cheese Ravioli: BOS-SAN

Current offerings:
As of [date], current meal choices:
Transcon breakfast:
Transcon lunch:
Transcon dinner:
Transcon snack:
Midcon breakfast:
Midcon lunch:
Midcon dinner:
Midcon snack:
West coast breakfast:
West coast lunch:
West coast dinner:
West coast snack:
Hawaii breakfast:
Hawaii lunch:
Hawaii dinner:
Hawaii snack:
[Other?]

For previous years please see the archives:

2009-2012
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Be Serving In First Class On Your Flight? (2015 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I think the upgraded lunches must have been a mistake to be honest. They lasted for such a short time (like one month), to me it sounds like maybe there was some miscommunication between the catering company and Alaska? I don't know this, I'm just guessing. The snack basket is still around and very popular. The pillows/blankets have yet to start and it's simply going to be a blanket, no pillow, that you can take with you. It will first be rolled out on red eye flights in September so I hear.
AS flt 788 SEA-MSY Aug. 25, 11:10 AM departure

Meal was more like a dinner service. Water bottles at seat prior to departure.

Menus passed out once airborne. Nuts served with the first round of drinks.

Starter salad was bib lettuce, sliced pears, candied nuts & balsamic vinaigrette with a warm roll. Lunch options were pork tenderloin or chicken. The pork tenderloin was entrée size, with mashed potatoes and grilled corn with red bell peppers. A very tasty sauce covered the pork & potatoes. Dessert was a chocolate cake/brownie with Bourbon whipped cream. I was completely blown away by the quality and quantity of food.

Snack basket prior to landing but I was napping so did not wake up in time, but I did hear it being offered.

Battlefield upgrade to 1A so I did not feel right taking pictures.

Will report on the return Saturday night, MSY-SEA-ANC.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W

Starter salad was bib lettuce, sliced pears, candied nuts & balsamic vinaigrette with a warm roll. Lunch options were pork tenderloin or chicken. The pork tenderloin was entrée size, with mashed potatoes and grilled corn with red bell peppers. A very tasty sauce covered the pork & potatoes. Dessert was a chocolate cake/brownie with Bourbon whipped cream. I was completely blown away by the quality and quantity of food.

Snack basket prior to landing but I was napping so did not wake up in time, but I did hear it being offered.

Will report on the return Saturday night, MSY-SEA-ANC.
MSY is catered as a transcon so it wouldn't get the same service as SEA-PDX/ANC. The service on MSY has always been the same.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
MSY is catered as a transcon so it wouldn't get the same service as SEA-PDX/ANC. The service on MSY has always been the same.
And trans con lunches are the same as dinners, correct?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=BOB W;25345353]AS flt 788 SEA-MSY Aug. 25, 11:10 AM departure

Will report on the return Saturday night, MSY-SEA-ANC.[/

Curious as to why you didn't feel right taking pictures since it was a battlefield upgrade...I don't think I ever know (or care) who got an upgrade in-advance vs. at the gate...you had just as much right to the first class cabin as anyone else in first.

On a side note, I think SEA-MSY is one of the next AS trips I'm going to book and the flights I looked at were empty in F and plenty of U space available, but as a 75K, you didn't get the upgrade until the last minute? I thought it seemed like an easy upgrade for a transcon.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:49 am

[QUOTE=PDXPremier;25345582]

Will report on the return Saturday night, MSY-SEA-ANC.[/

Curious as to why you didn't feel right taking pictures since it was a battlefield upgrade...I don't think I ever know (or care) who got an upgrade in-advance vs. at the gate...you had just as much right to the first class cabin as anyone else in first.

On a side note, I think SEA-MSY is one of the next AS trips I'm going to book and the flights I looked at were empty in F and plenty of U space available, but as a 75K, you didn't get the upgrade until the last minute? I thought it seemed like an easy upgrade for a transcon.
The FA passes this seat often taking care of the rest of the cabin and I don't like being that obvious,

There was a trade show going on in MSY and I know several elites that did not get UG. Only one seat available for sale one week out on my flight and it did not sell, thus the upgrade.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=BOB W;25346463]
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The FA passes this seat often taking care of the rest of the cabin and I don't like being that obvious,

There was a trade show going on in MSY and I know several elites that did not get UG. Only one seat available for sale one week out on my flight and it did not sell, thus the upgrade.
I get it...it was more about being in row 1 than getting a "battlefield upgrade"...I must admit that I always feel a bit awkward taking pictures of my meal no matter what row I'm in
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:35 am

[QUOTE=PDXPremier;25347179]

I get it...it was more about being in row 1 than getting a "battlefield upgrade"
Yeah, I never feel bad about getting the battlefield upgrade.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[QUOTE=BOB W;25347240]
Yeah, I never feel bad about getting the battlefield upgrade.
Not to get too off topic, but what was your impression of the "safety factor" when traveling around New Orleans, particularly the French Quarter? My wife and I are pretty travel savvy and have wandered around NYC, downtown Chicago, Istanbul, Detroit, etc. with no problems, but there are quite a few reports of increasing safety issues in the tourist sections of New Orleans that peaked my attention.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ents_hope.html

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/20/378567...demand-changes
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
8/28 AS149 LAX-ANC 7:50pm. Same dinner as SEA-MSY:

PDB H2O at the seats. Warm nuts with first drink service. Dinner portion was huge. I had the chicken and it was breaded with an herb seasoning. Very tender and moist. Scoop of mashed sweet potato and side of Brussels sprouts, cooked well with a buttery glaze. The snack basket was offered right after dessert and not too many takers. Three F seats went out empty. Awesome FC FA and a quick flight landing about 45 minutes early.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:43 pm

[QUOTE=PDXPremier;25347498]

Not to get too off topic, but what was your impression of the "safety factor" when traveling around New Orleans, particularly the French Quarter? My wife and I are pretty travel savvy and have wandered around NYC, downtown Chicago, Istanbul, Detroit, etc. with no problems, but there are quite a few reports of increasing safety issues in the tourist sections of New Orleans that peaked my attention.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/...ents_hope.html

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/20/378567...demand-changes
We walked from Canal all the way down Bourbon Street to Frenchman around 11 PM Tuesday night with no signs of trouble or feelings of insecurity. Two guys, one gal. Frenchman is growing and has several good restaurants and music clubs. We stayed until closing and walked back. The last third of the way is fairly dark and not heavily traveled when we were there.

That being said, I have been told on this trip that you should no go more than 2-3 blocks to the left of Bourbon when you enter from Canal due to high risk. Going to the right to Royale, etc. into Jackson Square seemed fine.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
We walked from Canal all the way down Bourbon Street to Frenchman around 11 PM Tuesday night with no signs of trouble or feelings of insecurity. Two guys, one gal. Frenchman is growing and has several good restaurants and music clubs. We stayed until closing and walked back. The last third of the way is fairly dark and not heavily traveled when we were there.

That being said, I have been told on this trip that you should no go more than 2-3 blocks to the left of Bourbon when you enter from Canal due to high risk. Going to the right to Royale, etc. into Jackson Square seemed fine.
No issues on Bourbon Street either last night

Well aside from racking up some miles from my CC

Last edited by beckoa; Aug 29, 2015 at 9:44 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:00 am

And trans con lunches are the same as dinners, correct?
yup
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Date of flight: 8/29/15
Flight and Route: AS #77 JNU-ANC
Time of Departure: 4:40 PM
Length of flight: 1 hour 40 minutes
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage: Water bottles at each seat.

Meal served: Snack

A very enthusiastic young FA introduced herself by announcing, "Whatever you want, I can make it. And I've been in the kitchen all day cooking up a great meal for you, my special pesto chicken sandwiches." Chuckles of approval from the crowd.

But bless her heart, what the catering crew actually loaded on the plane apparently didn't match the galley list.

The warm sandwich had 2 thin slices of some type of pressed-formed poultry-parts on a ciabatta roll -- but I'd be hard pressed to determine if it was actually chicken or the (seemingly ubiquitous) turkey-parts. And there was not a trace of "pesto," just a dab of mayo-like sauce and a bit of pepper-Jack cheese.

The side of slaw (julienned carrots and broccoli stems?) was as tasteless and bland as ever.

The young FA in F: :-: :-: :-: :-: :-: Approval rating for her energy and service.

Catering staff: :-: A single star for providing a few bites of warm sandwich.

And a for the pressed-formed parts poultry loaf and for the wretched slaw.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Date of flight: 8/29/15
Flight and Route: AS #77 JNU-ANC
Time of Departure: 4:40 PM
Length of flight: 1 hour 40 minutes
Class of service: First

Pre-Departure Beverage: Water bottles at each seat.

Meal served: Snack

A very enthusiastic young FA introduced herself by announcing, "Whatever you want, I can make it. And I've been in the kitchen all day cooking up a great meal for you, my special pesto chicken sandwiches." Chuckles of approval from the crowd.

But bless her heart, what the catering crew actually loaded on the plane apparently didn't match the galley list.

The warm sandwich had 2 thin slices of some type of pressed-formed poultry-parts on a ciabatta roll -- but I'd be hard pressed to determine if it was actually chicken or the (seemingly ubiquitous) turkey-parts. And there was not a trace of "pesto," just a dab of mayo-like sauce and a bit of pepper-Jack cheese.

The side of slaw (julienned carrots and broccoli stems?) was as tasteless and bland as ever.

The young FA in F: :-: :-: :-: :-: :-: Approval rating for her energy and service.

Catering staff: :-: A single star for providing a few bites of warm sandwich.

And a for the pressed-formed parts poultry loaf and for the wretched slaw.
Kudos to the FA for the enthusiasm! Honestly, people (sometimes me) complain about the food, the seat, the delays, etc....but I've heard over and over that the AS flight crews are some of the best out there....I'm reminded of this every time the pilot comes out, stands in the aisle, and welcomes passengers prior to take off or when the FAs seem like they actually enjoy their job....keep it up folks....it makes it easier to over-look the fact that they keep forgetting my chocolate bar

With that said, I'm sad to see the cookie go away....looks like we're back to the chocolate (pre-June meal service standards)...my guess is that the still relatively new snack basket is not long for this world, but my fingers are crossed. By-the-way, what happened to the hot towel service? They use to have it on even relatively short flights like SEA-OAK and now I never see it even on longer flights.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Kudos to the FA for the enthusiasm! Honestly, people (sometimes me) complain about the food, the seat, the delays, etc....but I've heard over and over that the AS flight crews are some of the best out there....I'm reminded of this every time the pilot comes out, stands in the aisle, and welcomes passengers prior to take off or when the FAs seem like they actually enjoy their job....keep it up folks....it makes it easier to over-look the fact that they keep forgetting my chocolate bar
Very true about the service making a difference. But I still haven't seen one of the new chocolate bars - those darn upgrades I've been getting have interfered with getting to experience that back-of-the-plane perk.

With that said, I'm sad to see the cookie go away....looks like we're back to the chocolate (pre-June meal service standards)...my guess is that the still relatively new snack basket is not long for this world, but my fingers are crossed. By-the-way, what happened to the hot towel service? They use to have it on even relatively short flights like SEA-OAK and now I never see it even on longer flights.
I miss the cookies ... and I *still* haven't seen one of the new snack baskets in F on any of my flights.

Warm towels did make an appearance on AS #62 ANC-JNU 8/23. I mentioned it in my breakfast post from that flight because the service seems to be an increasingly rare event during the past few months.

Last edited by AKCuisine; Aug 31, 2015 at 10:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.