Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:07 pm

I have a flight in about 18 hours that I booked via British Airways using Avios. The flight is SNA-SEA and I'm having a lot of trouble trying to check in via British Airways or AlaskaAir.com. AlaskaAir.com doesn't recognize any of the codes/numbers/ticket numbers given by British Airways, and British Airways does not allow online check-in. Any assistance would be appreciated!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsc168
I have a flight in about 18 hours that I booked via British Airways using Avios. The flight is SNA-SEA and I'm having a lot of trouble trying to check in via British Airways or AlaskaAir.com. AlaskaAir.com doesn't recognize any of the codes/numbers/ticket numbers given by British Airways, and British Airways does not allow online check-in. Any assistance would be appreciated!
The PNR (six-character confirmation code) issued by BA won't be the same one used by AS. You could get the Alaska code by calling AS Reservations, or you can just leave some extra time to check in at the airport - if the kiosks don't work, an agent at the desk can easily look you up.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Finkface
Whenever I have SDC'd, it has always been on the last flight on my itinerary. This time, itinerary is XXX-SEA-PDX-YYY-PDX-XXX. I am on the last flights of the night XXX-SEA-PDX on Sunday with an overnight in PDX and the first flight out PDX-YYY the next morning which I have already upgraded with a GGU.

1) If I SDC to earlier flights into SEA and PDX to get a bit more sleep, will that cause a re-issue and losing my upgrade on the next morning's flight to YYY and the return, already-upgraded flights on the same PNR? I know if I change it in advance that's what would happen but not sure about a SDC. Does it cause a reissue of the whole thing or is it somehow different for SDC and my future upgrades will stick?

If that will cause a reissue, then 2) I arrive on QX into SEA around 9:15pm into N and my current flight (mainline!) to PDX is at 11pm out of C. There is a 10pm QX flight, also out of N, which I can't book as it is under MCT but could easily make as I have no bags, am at the front of the plane into SEA and it is just steps away. Can I just go to the gate and try to get on the 10pm to PDX? Will that cause a reissue and the loss of future upgrades? If so, I'll just leave everything as it is.
Anybody have any idea on this? I am thinking I am out of luck but hoping to be proven wrong. Anyone?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Anybody have any idea on this? I am thinking I am out of luck but hoping to be proven wrong. Anyone?
1) I don't think SDC causes a reissue, but don't take my word on it. Hopefully someone will come along and confirm either way for sure.

2) Yes you can try for the 10pm PDX flight if you make it. In re: SDC and reissue, see above.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:54 am

Can someone tell me what "DO" is? e.g. Alaska Airlines Dutch Harbor DO meet up
Old Jan 9, 2015, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by ffmiles99
A big Flyertalk meetup...aka party

just happen to be heading to DUT in 2015 as one of many places
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ffmiles99
This might help: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ertalk-do.html

That's a bit dated, and therr have been dos with far more than 83 people in one sitting since then, but that's a little look at the history of the term.

Edited to add: ah, here's the one I was actually looking for: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3614555-post14.html
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bherman
You'll need to call the Gold Reservations Desk and have them remove then re-add your MP# to the reservation, otherwise you'll be on the first class wait list based on how you were originally added (as MVP).
Thanks. I tried having the GRD re-add my MP# yesterday without success. They called Mileage Plan who said that not all aspects of my MP account had been fully updated. For those of us who reached status levels in the final days of 2014, they expect to have fully updated all the systems by the end of this weekend.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:31 pm

I'm not exactly a newbie but haven't been able to find the answer to my question on the interwebs or searching in this forum.

Is there a list somewhere of current Alaska Airlines fare classes? On the AS website, I see information about upgrades/promotion/etc. that are conditioned on certain fare classes, but am clueless about what those fare classes are. I can ferret out some information by looking at tickets, doing a mock booking, etc., but it would be a LOT easier if there was just a list somewhere.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by SeattleRedBear; Jan 9, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SeattleRedBear
I'm not exactly a newbie but haven't been able to find the answer to my question on the interwebs or searching in this forum.

Is there a list somewhere of current Alaska Airlines fare classes? On the AS website, I see information about upgrades/promotion/etc. that are conditioned on certain fare classes, but am clueless about what those fare classes are. I can ferret out some information by looking at tickets, doing a mock booking, etc., but it would be a LOT easier if there was just a list somewhere.

Thanks very much.
What those promotions are talking about are what we know as "fare buckets" or "fare codes." The best "list" IMO is through Expert Flyer, which I use to see what available fare buckets there are on particular flights. 95% of the time it's so I know which flights are the cheapest. 5% of the time is because I want a particular fare for some reason (e.g., to qualify for bonuses, particular routings/stopovers, etc.).

Other than EF, ITA will show you what fare bucket a price itinerary books into. In AS's case, the cheapest coach tickets will be in T, which probably also doesn't qualify for some promotions.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
What those promotions are talking about are what we know as "fare buckets" or "fare codes." The best "list" IMO is through Expert Flyer, which I use to see what available fare buckets there are on particular flights. 95% of the time it's so I know which flights are the cheapest. 5% of the time is because I want a particular fare for some reason (e.g., to qualify for bonuses, particular routings/stopovers, etc.).
Well, I was hoping for just a list. I assume you have to be a paid subscriber to Expert Flyer to see the available fare codes?
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Well, I was hoping for just a list. I assume you have to be a paid subscriber to Expert Flyer to see the available fare codes?
Yeah, but here's a list from a random sample SEA-LAX flight I searched for:

Code:
F7 D7 P7 U7 A0 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K7 G7 T7 R7 N7 W7 E7
Some of those are awards (A, W) or upgrade (U), but the rest are revenue classes, I believe.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:52 pm

Okay. Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Ah I see... here's a de facto list from the AS website:
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...on-alaska.aspx

Economy Class Cabin*:
Earn actual flight miles* flown in S, B, M, H, Q, L, V, K, G, T, R, and U class of service;
Earn actual flight miles* flown in Y (Refundable Coach) class of service plus 25% Bonus Miles.

First Class Cabin*:
Earn actual flight miles* flown in F or P class of service plus 50% bonus.

*Earn 500 minimum miles on flights less than 500 miles. Actual miles flown = 1 mile per flight mile flown. Miles may not be earned for tickets flown in A, D, E, N, W, X, or Z classes of service. Some deeply discounted, and industry fares are ineligible to earn miles.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Yeah, but here's a list from a random sample SEA-LAX flight I searched for:

Code:
F7 D7 P7 U7 A0 Y7 Z7 S7 B7 M7 H7 Q7 L7 V7 K7 G7 T7 R7 N7 W7 E7
Some of those are awards (A, W) or upgrade (U), but the rest are revenue classes, I believe.
IIRC Z is full Y award, N is mid level award and W is saver. E is employee travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.