Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jackal
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the previous incarnation of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2015 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Ill try this again hopefully it posts yo the correct thread...have no idea eh at technical glitch I found...

I'm a new MVP and was wondering about a few things....

1. Upgrades...when should I be notified if I get one? If I didn't get SN upgrade is there a way to find out what number I'm in line for upgrade?

2. If I buy a ticket on A- and one leg is an AS metal flight. Do I lose my ability yo be upgraded because I'm on an AA ticket but I would put in my AS number on the ticket. Does the mileage get counted as AS metal thus counted toward the 20,000 miles for status just on AS metal flights?

3. If I'm traveling with my SO on a flight under one reservation does it hurt my ability to get upgraded than if I booked tickets with separate confirmation numbers?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by djp98374
1. Upgrades...when should I be notified if I get one? If I didn't get SN upgrade is there a way to find out what number I'm in line for upgrade?
I recommend reading the thread about upgrades at How Complimentary Upgrades Work

2. If I buy a ticket on A- and one leg is an AS metal flight. Do I lose my ability yo be upgraded because I'm on an AA ticket but I would put in my AS number on the ticket. Does the mileage get counted as AS metal thus counted toward the 20,000 miles for status just on AS metal flights?
In general, I have seen that if you have a purchased ticket flying on AS metal using your AS number, you get benefits for that segment like upgrades identically to having bought through AS, including credit towards AS metal.
(Tripwide benefits like free baggage, though, I'm less certain about)

3. If I'm traveling with my SO on a flight under one reservation does it hurt my ability to get upgraded than if I booked tickets with separate confirmation numbers?
My recollection for MVP is that if you are with another passenger on a single PNR where you have status and the other passenger does not, you will never get upgraded even when space is available unless you contact AS to split up the reservation.
(There are threads about that but I haven't done it myself)
In you're MVPG/75k, then it still hurts your chances since they won't upgrade just one of you - they'd wait until there are 2 upgrades available. So, if there's a single passenger after you in the priority list, that passenger could be upgraded before your party.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Is gogo service always this bad?

As a UA 1K status match, I've made two AS flights worthy of using the gogo system. In both cases, the speeds have been sooooo slow (a fraction of what it has been on Delta flights or on equivalent UA flights). I contacted gogo CS on both occasions and was given a refund voucher (so I'm happy about that), but was also give a ton of excuses on why it is slow. Is this a service that's likely to improve or am I just butting my head into a wall?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:04 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
As a UA 1K status match, I've made two AS flights worthy of using the gogo system. In both cases, the speeds have been sooooo slow (a fraction of what it has been on Delta flights or on equivalent UA flights). I contacted gogo CS on both occasions and was given a refund voucher (so I'm happy about that), but was also give a ton of excuses on why it is slow. Is this a service that's likely to improve or am I just butting my head into a wall?
My experience using GoGo on AS is that it's slow, but not overly so. I don't think there's anything specific to AS planes that would make it any different than GoGo systems on other airlines.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
I'm new to AS after doing most of my flying on UA the last few years and had a question about miles posting, specifically involving partners (on domestic flights).

I flew a trip last Thursday that was booked with AA that had two segments: the first on AA (an S class fare), the second an AA codeshare flight number operated by AS. I had my AS number in the reservation. The second leg posted today, but the first one didn't - I presume that this is because despite booking through AA.com with an AA flight number, it posted promptly because it was on AS metal with an AS Mileage Plan number.

My main question is how long it takes for AA segments to normally credit and/or at what point I would need to proactively look into getting it posted. Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by AggieWxNole
I flew a trip last Thursday that was booked with AA that had two segments: the first on AA (an S class fare), the second an AA codeshare flight number operated by AS. I had my AS number in the reservation. The second leg posted today, but the first one didn't - I presume that this is because despite booking through AA.com with an AA flight number, it posted promptly because it was on AS metal with an AS Mileage Plan number.

My main question is how long it takes for AA segments to normally credit and/or at what point I would need to proactively look into getting it posted. Thanks for any help!
It usually posts within a week, but the official policy is 14 days about the flight for partner flights.

If it's still not there then, you can submit the request for credit here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/MileagePlan/retrocredit
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
In last year's AS Flame Free Thread, I asked about thru flights and how they would credit. I credited my thru flight, AA113 from BCN-MIA-DEN, and got full credit for all legs, meaning they did not post as just BCN-DEN, but instead posted each individual leg.

Pretty nice earnings on that one, pleasantly surprised. I submitted my mileage credit request via email after my flight (some segs on this itinerary were on US).
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:48 pm

Do alaska air miles expire when you cancel your card before AF? Or do they work like chase southwest RR points, that do not expire no matter if the cc is closed.

I ask because I would like to get to Hawaii in 2yrs, so I am wondering if there is such a thing as accumulating miles too much in advance.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:44 am
Suspended

Forgot to pay attention, but did AS offer buy-up-to-status last December?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Forgot to pay attention, but did AS offer buy-up-to-status last December?
At least one report said if they called in and asked there was an option.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
At least one report said if they called in and asked there was an option.
Do you know what the rate was?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Do you know what the rate was?
$200 to purchase MVP GOLD 75K, 2Wks later offers promotion to hit status talks about it, but $200 for being 850EQM short of 75k (75k status, 90k total miles).
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by rmonte4
Do alaska air miles expire when you cancel your card before AF? Or do they work like chase southwest RR points, that do not expire no matter if the cc is closed.
From the bottom of this page link: http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-benefits is the following information:

Keep Your Account Active* and Your Miles Won't Expire

As long as you keep your account active* — that is, as long as you earn or spend at least one mile every 24 months you'll keep all the miles that you earn. Spend them as soon as you have enough for a one-way domestic ticket, or save up for a First Class ticket to a far-flung destination. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to accrue miles, they'll be there when you're ready to use them.

* If no mileage is credited to your account during the first 9 months after opening, or if your account is inactive for longer than 2 years, the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ reserves the right to delete your account and reassign the number. If mileage has been deleted from your account, you can reinstate it for up to one year by paying a $75 fee.

You can keep all your miles active (whether from credit card spend, credit card bonus, flights, etc.) as long as you have activity before 24 months expires after the last posted activity.

If you're asking whether BofA will claw back credit card bonus miles without paying the initial annual fee, I don't have a clue.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dgreen12
If you're asking whether BofA will claw back credit card bonus miles without paying the initial annual fee, I don't have a clue.
The annual fee is posted in the first month. You must pay it, you cannot evade it. The bonus miles are rewarded when you hit the requirements.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
You can keep all your miles active (whether from credit card spend, credit card bonus, flights, etc.) as long as you have activity before 24 months expires after the last posted activity.

Thank you Boss.

So I can pick one of these bad boys up and try to churn them 3X over the next 2yrs, and no matter if I cancel 1 or 2 of the cards before the AF. The miles won't disappear on me. Awesome ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.