Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Alaska Beyond Experiences/Thoughts (Free thru Jan 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wheresdg
Free period Extended to end of March

For those who have experienced Alaska Beyond successfully, please post your tail #:
  • NXXXAS

N407AS - Alaska Beyond as of 2/10/15
N440AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/11/15
N453AS ("Go Russell") - Successful as of 01/06/15
N469AS - Alaska Beyond as of 12/23/14
N517AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/28/15
N522AS - Nope, as of 1/24/15
N526AS - Alaska Beyond as of 2/23/15
N534AS - Alaska Beyond as of 2/9/15
N565AS - Alaska Beyond as of 12/16/14
N581AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/15/15
N588AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/13/15
N590AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/15/15
N563AS - Alaska Beyond as of 1/18/15

New handheld entertainment players began rolling out on 2/1/15. They have some pre-loaded content but also can access the streaming service.

If you prefer to use your own tablet or phone, here are the current supported devices and operating systems:

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Alaska Beyond Experiences/Thoughts (Free thru Jan 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Fly on AS or DL?

If so that's encouraging...although no BB app
Just as the Great Land no longer has to wait an extra week or two for TV programs to be shipped up so you can watch them on your favo(u)rite network, so has gone the utility of your BB.

My last BB died about a year ago and now is in a better place. When I was on the GAB, I was the only member that couldn't participate in the myriad of new things being tried (i.e., app functionality, etc.)

The good news is that your battery lasts a long time, and the device is unlikely to overheat. The other news is that this is because you aren't watching any movies on it.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Fly on AS or DL?

If so that's encouraging...although no BB app
AS, Delta is useless anymore to me.

BB? All I can say is they have good keyboards.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BarryL
AS, Delta is useless anymore to me.

BB? All I can say is they have good keyboards.
Thanks for calming our worries that that DL/AA problem would carry-over to AS.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Milage Plan
I am still a little confused on the Alaska Beyond / In Flight entertainment. $10 for the digiplayer with not very many movies / Tv Shows to choose from. And I am not sure how to even access the complimentary (thru Jan 2015) movies / tv on personal devices.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ScoobyScott
I am still a little confused on the Alaska Beyond / In Flight entertainment. $10 for the digiplayer with not very many movies / Tv Shows to choose from. And I am not sure how to even access the complimentary (thru Jan 2015) movies / tv on personal devices.
There are full details on the AS site, concisely summarized in the official news release. Basically, you have to have an iOS or Android mobile device, or a laptop, and download the appropriate app or browser add-on beforehand.

From everything I've read (on the official AS blog, the Beyond pages, even the PDF of the in-flight card), the DigEPlayers will continue to co-exist for now. But they're not even referred to as DigEPlayers in any of the announcements, just as pre-loaded "video players."
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:12 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
not much mentioned here about food and beverags. AS can we get the seasonal beers back please? AS used to have to options of Alaskan Summer ale or Winter ale depending on time of year. Then one day poof it was gone. When one day I asked for a summer ale in the middle of July and the FA said we dont have that anymore. Although just having the option of 1 micro brew is hands down way better than the mass produced crap you can get on AA or the admirals clubs for that matter. If I want to have a beer or 2 it might as well be fit for consumption. Whats the point of drinking cheap mass produced domestic stuff other than to get smashed? Well I take that back, its useful for cooking bratwursts rather than wasting a good beer on it. There are a few other good beers in the PNW too that would be nice to see. Deschutes makes some pretty good ones(IPAs which I prefer when I want a good beer, might not be good for on a plane, after 2 or 3 you can be feeling pretty fuzzy) but Deschutes nut brown ale is also pretty good. RedHook also has some good stuff as does Big Sky. Big Sky Powder hound would be in my top 3 favorites list

Last edited by ANC; Dec 16, 2014 at 5:18 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:22 pm
ANC

I am still a little confused on the Alaska Beyond / In Flight entertainment. $10 for the digiplayer with not very many movies / Tv Shows to choose from. .
probably because it costs a good bit to lug around and store. I dont know what those new XT players weight, maybe 2 to 4 pounds each and loaded on a 50 pound cart
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Thought AS offered an Alaskan Summer this summer? Wasn't a huge fan. Winter I would welcome though ^

AS does offer Kona Longboard Lager to/from Hawaii and Corona to Mexico.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:46 pm
ANC

Thought AS offered an Alaskan Summer this summer? Wasn't a huge fan. Winter I would welcome though ^

hmm yeah they might have this summer. I cant recall. Forgot about the Kona ^ . Never flew AS to mexico
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
on the milkrun and a 737-800 with the service.

-> took about 15 minutes after Wifi kicked in for movies to be available. Kept getting an error message.

-> nice selection of movies

-> movie stopped about 10 minutes from landing in Ketchikan.

I have 53 minutes left of my movie, will try it on the Ketch-Sitka leg and Sitka-Juneau leg.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:00 pm

They did offer the Summer Ale this year. In fact, it lingered well past the summer in some markets.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:00 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec

-> took about 15 minutes after Wifi kicked in for movies to be available. Kept getting an error message.

I have 53 minutes left of my movie, will try Sitka-Juneau leg.
good luck at the rate of 15 minutes, the movies might kick when your descent starts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec

I have 53 minutes left of my movie, will try it on the Ketch-Sitka leg and Sitka-Juneau leg.
Supposedly available on AS #99, SEA-ANC last night. It never worked and none of the flight attendants had any idea how to get it going. Tried using the instructions on the card and Gogoinflight kept wanting me to buy a day pass.

After an hour I gave up and just continued watching Maze Runner on the Digiplayer.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Milage Plan
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
There are full details on the AS site, concisely summarized in the official news release. Basically, you have to have an iOS or Android mobile device, or a laptop, and download the appropriate app or browser add-on beforehand.

COLOR="Blue"]Thanks, I'll look more into that.[/COLORFrom everything I've read (on the official AS blog, the Beyond pages, even the PDF of the in-flight card), the DigEPlayers will continue to co-exist for now. But they're not even referred to as DigEPlayers in any of the announcements, just as pre-loaded "video players."
Was my first time flying with Alaska. I was suprised buy the heft of the players. I liked how Frontier Airline have them built into the seat backs. Next time I am just gonna load a bunch of movies on my tablet. I would have done that this time but a couple months ago I was getting ready for work and put my kindle fire hdx in my back pocket and forgot about and shattered it when I sat in my car. lol.

Originally Posted by ANC
not much mentioned here about food and beverags. AS can we get the seasonal beers back please? AS used to have to options of Alaskan Summer ale or Winter ale depending on time of year. Then one day poof it was gone. When one day I asked for a summer ale in the middle of July and the FA said we dont have that anymore. Although just having the option of 1 micro brew is hands down way better than the mass produced crap you can get on AA or the admirals clubs for that matter. If I want to have a beer or 2 it might as well be fit for consumption. Whats the point of drinking cheap mass produced domestic stuff other than to get smashed? Well I take that back, its useful for cooking bratwursts rather than wasting a good beer on it. There are a few other good beers in the PNW too that would be nice to see. Deschutes makes some pretty good ones(IPAs which I prefer when I want a good beer, might not be good for on a plane, after 2 or 3 you can be feeling pretty fuzzy) but Deschutes nut brown ale is also pretty good. RedHook also has some good stuff as does Big Sky. Big Sky Powder hound would be in my top 3 favorites list
On my SEA - PDX leg they offered a complimetery drink, beside water and juice we had a choice of a local beer. Not sure if it was seasonal. I was pretty tired and was not paying attention. That leg was so short they had to rush to serve drinks in time to prepare to land.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
On my SEA - PDX leg they offered a complimetery drink, beside water and juice we had a choice of a local beer. Not sure if it was seasonal. I was pretty tired and was not paying attention. That leg was so short they had to rush to serve drinks in time to prepare to land.
The Horizon/Skywest flights have a rotating selection of microbrews poured from the big bottles. Now if only that could start on mainline flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.