Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP Gold Benefits on Delta Basic Economy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

I bought a basic economy ticket on Delta for a short route without really realizing it for mid-January.

Delta has my MVP Gold number but won't let me pick a seat yet, due to the basic economy rules.

Anyone know if/what "benefits" will still be available to me? Ie, seat choice at some window, zone 1 boarding.

I know the rules on Delta for Basic Economy overall are different for pre-2/1/2015 and after.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
I bought a basic economy ticket on Delta ... Anyone know if/what "benefits" will still be available to me? Ie, seat choice at some window, zone 1 boarding... .
here's the info from the DL website

given that DL Medallions get pretty much zip, I'd guess your AS status will put you at the back of the line for those scraps too

if you're within the 24-hr window you might see if cancellation is a viable option
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
You might be able to get early boarding, That's the one benefit allegedly will still apply to medallions so may still carry-over. As suggested above if less than 24 hours since booking cancel and rebook, or call and see if they will let you upfare.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sea_flyer_17
Delta has my MVP Gold number but won't let me pick a seat yet, due to the basic economy rules.
That is a fare rule thing, not an 'AS benefits on Delta' thing, and lack of advance seat assignments is in effect now. Other restrictions on benefits to DL elites on E fares go into effect with travel 2/1/15.

If you bought directly from DL and are still within the free cancellation window, cancel it now and buy a higher fare if you want seat assignments.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:34 am

You don't get anything, but you can select seats, at least I was able to. You cannot do economy comfort (except somehow on one of my international flights I was able to), sometimes can be waitlisted for biz, get no free bags, get to board last (well, no priority).
Old Dec 15, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
You don't get anything, but you can select seats, at least I was able to. You cannot do economy comfort (except somehow on one of my international flights I was able to), sometimes can be waitlisted for biz, get no free bags, get to board last (well, no priority).
What you are describing is not Basic Economy (E fares). You do not have the ability to select seats on E fares. What you are describing is what DL now calls "Main Cabin", not "Basic Economy". E fares are currently only sold on select non-stop routes to/from DTW, MSP, ATL. They are not sold on connecting fares through these hubs nor are they sold on international flights.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 15, 2014 at 11:44 am
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:31 am

Oh yea, I read about E class. I'll try to remember not to buy it in the future.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Oh yea, I read about E class. I'll try to remember not to buy it in the future.
Or better yet, I'm avoiding DL all together even though they are a fairly major player here at PDX, but AS has taken me where I want to go and if all else fails, I've got AA
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
... I'm avoiding DL all together...
+1
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k, SQ Gold
Or better yet, I'm avoiding DL all together even though they are a fairly major player here at PDX, but AS has taken me where I want to go and if all else fails, I've got AA
^ Especially with the new mileage chart for DL.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
. Dead on PDXPremier. I am doing the same, I am also Portland based. Alaska all the way now, and if not then AA (just no "O" fares. I would use DL if there is a way to upgrade the fare bucket from "V" and the related 50% mileage credit after January 1st, but when I called in I was told I can't (you can on AA).
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:28 pm

+1 to avoiding Delta altogether.

There is 1 flight a year that I have no other choice on - MSP to INL as the last air leg of traveling to a Canadian fishing lodge with my father. I believe this will be the first year (And clearly not the last) when my SPG platinum crossover benefit will be of more use than my MVPG status (free bag, mostly). Otherwise, flying out of SEA, I'm more than happy to never set foot on DL metal again.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:13 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, Starwood Rewards
Wow really? You can't even select a seat? Even if mileage elite???? Like their platinum diamond titanium medallions? I could see that pissing off a TON of ELITE (high revenue) customers when they take that family trip once per year!!

Epic fail there.

You never crap on your core customers. Although I don't like them, DL has always struck me as a business savvy airline which I respect. However, if this is true, This is not savvy. This is stupid. Great way to go build that "hub" in Seattle DL!!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by gaiusbaltar
Wow really? You can't even select a seat? Even if mileage elite???? Like their platinum diamond titanium medallions? I could see that pissing off a TON of ELITE (high revenue) customers when they take that family trip once per year!!

Epic fail there.

You never crap on your core customers. Although I don't like them, DL has always struck me as a business savvy airline which I respect. However, if this is true, This is not savvy. This is stupid. Great way to go build that "hub" in Seattle DL!!
Its semi smart, they are trying to grab the attention of the Spirit crowd. Its currently select non-stop leisure routes where they compete primarily out of DTW and MSP. I guess its been successful enough more routes will be added.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gaiusbaltar

Epic fail there.
It's called market segmentation. How many varieties of Tide detergent are there? Variations of Coca-Cola, diet/zero, caffein-free, vanilla/cherry... ?

DL has rolled out a fare product and service bundle to address the Spirit/Allegiant/Frontier crowd... and AS/AA/UA haven't - yet.

There's color coding and benefit restrictions noted on the itinerary/fare selection page on delta.com. It's textbook clear. This isn't 'Oops, I bought an AA O fare.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.