Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Mileage accrual on Delta flights are changing eff 1/1/15.

Increase in miles earned on premium fares. Decrease on discount economy.

First Class

F, P - 200% of miles flown
A - 175% of miles flown
G - 125% of miles flown

Business Class

J,C - 175% of miles flown
D, I - 150% of miles flown
Z - 125% of miles flown

Economy

Y - 125% of miles flown
B, M, S - 100% of miles flown
H, Q, K - 75% of miles flown
L, U, T, X, V - 50% of miles flown
E - 25% of miles flown

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/benefits/elite-levels-and-benefits/program-changes.aspx
Print Wikipost

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Kudos to AS for not going down the revenue road for us "regular" elites who buy the cheapest tickets....you've my support (and $$$)....how people stick with UA and DL while their programs self-destruct is astounding....Thanks AS for keeping the grass greener on the other side
At least ex-SFO, many UA flyers have jumped over to AA (at least based on elite numbers boarding my flights most of the time). Unfortunately, AA has far fewer flights so they can't capture everyone.

My upgrade rate this year is 85%, down from 92-95% all other years. Almost every missed upgrade has been ex-SFO. F cabins are filling up before the upgrade window opens up. Much like SFO-SEA trips on AS many days.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:01 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
I'm taking a wild guess here, but I would guess your travel policy does not allow this, since you're effectively ripping off your employer for your personal benefit.

The version of Concur my employer uses doesn't have any way to push higher fare codes. The only thing you can really do is wait closer to departure to book, but again this would probably run afoul of your travel policy.
I have had the same experience with Concur. My boss is reasonable about stuff like this, and understands that if I pay $10 more on an airline where I have status, I save the company potential baggage fees and food expense and is happy to approve my ticket if the system sends him a policy alert. Not all managers are that way, however. I think Concur wanted to flag a $3 difference one time, even though the $3 cheaper fare took two hours longer. My boss said book the shorter flying time.

To try and avoid problems, sometimes I will narrow the time window so that it picks what I want, but even that feels like I'm pushing things. I had to do it one time on the outbound leg because I had commitments of my own and only one departure time worked, even though it wasn't the cheapest that day. I discussed it with him first.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
I for one love it. Reminds me of the "old days" but then I'm older as well! So for me I welcome this as I am getting "rewarded" for the money I spent. Sorry all but I pay full Gold Upgrade or full FC. so why wouldn't I be entitled to more points.

I take it miles flown is still used for qual.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Kudos to AS for not going down the revenue road for us "regular" elites who buy the cheapest tickets....you've my support (and $$$)....how people stick with UA and DL while their programs self-destruct is astounding....Thanks AS for keeping the grass greener on the other side
Most people who fly with Delta will stay with Delta. Delta is a very good airline and most fliers do not base their flying on their FFP. Even business or frequent fliers. FT is more an exception than the rule.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by aces219
Delta is still crediting 1 MQM per mile flown so it would be nice if the same held true for Mileage Plan EQMs.
Originally Posted by CDKing
I have a feeling that wont be the case much longer when crediting AS flights to DL. DL has not updated their partner earnings charts yet.
It won't be known until DL publishes partner earnings but while DL changed redeemable miles earning on its own metal to be purchase price-based, elite miles qualification on all DL-operated fare codes (even E) are still 1 mile per mile flown.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by checkmater
What was your reason in the first place?

Mine is to get east, AS only serves so many cities outside of west coast, but I'm happy they they have been expanding to more each year.
Traveling to BDL. Now I would rather fly into BOS and drive down.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It won't be known until DL publishes partner earnings but while DL changed redeemable miles earning on its own metal to be purchase price-based, elite miles qualification on all DL-operated fare codes (even E) are still 1 mile per mile flown.
You're right it wont change for those crediting to DL unless DL gets the idea to deval further. The airline wants to get you on their own metal so they will usually give better benefits when you don't stray. AS members still get 1 EQM per mile flown on many of its partners and a few with reduced with lower fares. It will be interesting to see which partners, DL keeps up at the top with 1:1 I doubt it will be AS.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by keitherson
Most people who fly with Delta will stay with Delta. Delta is a very good airline and most fliers do not base their flying on their FFP. Even business or frequent fliers. FT is more an exception than the rule.
Not most, but many. FFPs don't affect the lower, cost-driven tier of customers, and the top tier just wants nonstops that suit their schedule at whatever cost. But the whole middle cohort of moderately profitable frequent flyers does take FF status, perks, etc. into account. If FF programs didn't strongly influence buying behavior they would have run their course by now.

AS is a good airline with a still-pretty-good FF program; DL is a good airline with a bad one. The new -- and IMO stupid -- vogue at DL and UA for concentrating FF rewards on a few super-flyers is short-sighted if you ask me. Those airlines are shoving a large cohort of customers back into the "consideration pool" to shop for the lowest price, which hurts all the players in the long run.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by keitherson
I think folks who travel regularly on 25%/50% fares will start noticing.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
You're right it wont change for those crediting to DL unless DL gets the idea to deval further. The airline wants to get you on their own metal so they will usually give better benefits when you don't stray. AS members still get 1 EQM per mile flown on many of its partners and a few with reduced with lower fares. It will be interesting to see which partners, DL keeps up at the top with 1:1 I doubt it will be AS.
Just to clarify, I want to be sure I have this right. If I fly the approx 5,000 mile trip of PDX/JFK/PDX at a reduced rate of 25% mileage credit then I only get 1,250 miles. But - as an MVP/G do I also only get 1,250 EQM or the 5,000 as EQM? I'm thinking it's 1,250 but want to be clear as I am about to book several trips. Thinking now AS to Newark via Seattle is best but it adds two hours to the trip and I always prefer nonstops, but I do get 6,000 miles out of it.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I heard back on my inquiry of flight date vs booking date. It will be based on flight date unfortunate

Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Just to clarify, I want to be sure I have this right. If I fly the approx 5,000 mile trip of PDX/JFK/PDX at a reduced rate of 25% mileage credit then I only get 1,250 miles. But - as an MVP/G do I also only get 1,250 EQM or the 5,000 as EQM? I'm thinking it's 1,250 but want to be clear as I am about to book several trips. Thinking now AS to Newark via Seattle is best but it adds two hours to the trip and I always prefer nonstops, but I do get 6,000 miles out of it.
I sure hope E fares are not on PDX-JFK. But IF you are on E fare (25%) 5000 mile flight will earn 1250 EQM. RDM will be 1250 + 1250 for MVPG. Most markets will be 50% earning at the least
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Just to clarify, I want to be sure I have this right. If I fly the approx 5,000 mile trip of PDX/JFK/PDX at a reduced rate of 25% mileage credit then I only get 1,250 miles. But - as an MVP/G do I also only get 1,250 EQM or the 5,000 as EQM? I'm thinking it's 1,250 but want to be clear as I am about to book several trips.
1250 EQM.

Originally Posted by missydarlin
With all of our partners, EQMs are equal to the RDM's (not inclusive of Elite Bonuses or promotional miles).
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
I heard back on my inquiry of flight date vs booking date. It will be based on flight date unfortunate

I sure hope E fares are not on PDX-JFK. But IF you are on E fare (25%) 5000 mile flight will earn 1250 EQM. RDM will be 1250 + 1250 for MVPG. Most markets will be 50% earning at the least
You are correct CDKing. I just did 4 dummy flights in Feb and March and all were "V" class. So 50% EQM. Still sucks, but sucks less :-). I am thinking PDX/SEA/EWR at 6,000 EQM R/T miles vs 3,000 on DL nonstop is worth the 2 plus hours each way.

Either way, my plan is do all I can on AS (as I already do, but its so limited from PDX unless SEA is in the itinerary), then the rest on AA. Just wish we had a chance of an F upgrade on AA, who knows maybe with this DL fight and the US merger this too will happen!
Old Nov 27, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by makfan
I have had the same experience with Concur. My boss is reasonable about stuff like this, and understands that if I pay $10 more on an airline where I have status, I save the company potential baggage fees and food expense and is happy to approve my ticket if the system sends him a policy alert. Not all managers are that way, however. I think Concur wanted to flag a $3 difference one time, even though the $3 cheaper fare took two hours longer. My boss said book the shorter flying time.
Wow, some companies are very strict! We also use Concur, but our company gives us much more latitude. My company allows a 20-25% percent differrence in fares before it "flags" a flight. On the other hand, my company does not allow managers to override the flag (you would have to go to a VP and nobody would dare do that )

Back to the DL miles issue, this really doesn't surprise me.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 2:23 pm

You are correct CDKing. I just did 4 dummy flights in Feb and March and all were "V" class. So 50% EQM. Still sucks, but sucks less :-). I am thinking PDX/SEA/EWR at 6,000 EQM R/T miles vs 3,000 on DL nonstop is worth the 2 plus hours each way.

Either way, my plan is do all I can on AS (as I already do, but its so limited from PDX unless SEA is in the itinerary), then the rest on AA. Just wish we had a chance of an F upgrade on AA, who knows maybe with this DL fight and the US merger this too will happen!
I wonder when E class is actually used? I checked and both my upcoming SEA-SAN flight for $79 o/w and my previous YVR-HKG which was priced at $400 all in return were both V class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.