Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missydarlin
Mileage accrual on Delta flights are changing eff 1/1/15.

Increase in miles earned on premium fares. Decrease on discount economy.

First Class

F, P - 200% of miles flown
A - 175% of miles flown
G - 125% of miles flown

Business Class

J,C - 175% of miles flown
D, I - 150% of miles flown
Z - 125% of miles flown

Economy

Y - 125% of miles flown
B, M, S - 100% of miles flown
H, Q, K - 75% of miles flown
L, U, T, X, V - 50% of miles flown
E - 25% of miles flown

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/benefits/elite-levels-and-benefits/program-changes.aspx
Print Wikipost

2015 MVP: Bye Delta? Miles now based on fare class.

Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I win with this new plan. All of my Delta flights are international in paid business. Unless I somehow accidentally book a Z class (which I don't think I've ever been able to find!) I actually get more miles for every one of my Delta flights than I used to.

Neil
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA P, A3 G, MU Gold, HH G, Marriott P
On the bright side, at least we are not going revenue-based... Was hoping we could earn miles on US by next year, guess that'll have to wait.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVP; Hilton Gold (Citi Card); Priority Pass (Citi Prestige); Nexus/Global Entry/TSA Pre
Are those bonuses for EQMs?

-----------------

Edit: Found the answer to my question on the blog entry:

New Fare Class Bonuses

Travelers who purchase more expensive fares often earn more miles and elite qualifying miles through fare class bonuses. These are in addition to any tier bonuses that come with elite status.

Currently, Mileage Plan members can earn 50 percent more miles and elite qualifying miles when they book full-fare or discounted first class tickets in the F and P fare classes. They can also earn 25 percent more miles when they book full-fare economy class tickets in the Y fare class.

Beginning January 1, 2015, these fare class bonuses will be increased and additional fare class bonuses will be added, helping Alaska’s members earn elite status — and a reward trip — faster than ever before.

Fare class bonuses will increase for full-fare tickets in first class and economy. New bonuses of 25 percent to 50 percent will be added for discounted S, B, and M fare classes in economy.

Last edited by Earendel; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:35 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
The changes AS made to its own flight earning all seem positive to me. The DL changes will be bad for those of us who have to buy the cheapest coach tickets, though. Fortunately I can usually work my longer trips on AA and my west coast trips on AS.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
The change wasn't as bad as I thought. I was expecting 0 miles on the lowest fares
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by CDKing
The change wasn't as bad as I thought. I was expecting 0 miles on the lowest fares
Speaking of which ... what do AA members get for "O" flights?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
So I clicked the link of "Earn More on Alaska" in the email, the page it leads to have both the Delta accrual table and Alaska accrual table, but Delta one is higher so I saw that first, and thought that's the Alaska one, and saw U only got me 25% I was like W!T!F!

Then I saw there's another table, and realized that the one I just saw was Delta. Phew.

Last edited by fishywang; Nov 26, 2014 at 10:44 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Yeah, 95% of this board won't travel on an E fare(Delta still keeps it for Carribean Destinations where it goes against Spirit I think). 50% is reasonable for the lowest buckets.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
I'm ok with AS deciding to change earning rates on DL, but with a month until the new year, come on! 3 months notice would have been appreciated.

I have 2 trips in Jan/Feb that involve 50K miles on Delta in V class...so now those miles are cut to 50%. What a bunch of BS. Anyone planning to request full miles for trips early in the new year?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Speaking of which ... what do AA members get for "O" flights?
Are you talking about O fares on AA flights? We get 100% EQM/RDM on almost all itineraries (there's some minor international restriction I'm forgetting)
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
It's funny. 50% of miles flown is still better in some cases than what DL is giving. Now on a V fare, sfo/lax-jfk roundtrip transcons will give you about 2500 RDM before any elite bonuses. 5000 if you're MVPG including the bonus.

Assuming a V fare is around $300, DL will give you 900-3300 miles.

For short-haul credit though, since short-haul flights are generally more expensive, DL is more competitive.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by flycal312
Anyone planning to request full miles for trips early in the new year?
Just as soon as I'm finished sweeping this dirt road.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I guess American "O" flights are the equivalent of Delta's "E" fare, but they don't penalize their own flyers, just partners?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i'm glad my decision to do a PM status challenge on DL will not end up being for naught.

frankly i expected worse. between this and MQ$ on my DL status i guess i will be hitting the G fares hot and heavy on DL next year.

glad that the info is finally out there in the open.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
On the Delta partner page, I see the asterisk for flights less than 500 miles earning a minimum 500 miles. Do I understand correctly that this will hold true after 1/1/15, even for the cheapest of cheap fares?

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ers/delta.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.