Wiki Posts
Search

SkyCap Stolen $100 at Check-in!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
It's a matter of doing the right thing. Is the right thing to do to just forget about it? I posted this thread to begin with because it's not clear to me.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LBJ
I can't say I routinely carry around $100 bills. However, if I were to, I think I would notice if one was missing. I do remember once mistakenly giving a parking lot shuttle driver a $20 bill instead of a $1 bill tip. It was an early morning flight and I wan't paying much attention. I found his extreme exuberance at my tip a bit perplexing at the time. It was only later that I realized I was missing a twenty and understood what had happened.
You know that is what happens when all your bills are the same size and color.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I was waiting in the car at the curb babysitting my nieces and nephews while my sister and brother in law were checking in. Had I actually been there to confront the skycap, I can assure everyone this would have gone down differently.

My question now is what to do. There is a high chance it was the elderly ladies money. It most certainly was not the skycap's. I can only imagine there are cameras around that area to find out whose actually it was. I'm not saying we are entitled to the money, but I'm more concerned about the skycap's behavior and the rightful owner of the money. Is contacting the airport police really the correct thing to do?
Let it go.

You have zero proof whose money it was as far as I can tell. You even posted the lady said it wasn't her money.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's a matter of doing the right thing. Is the right thing to do to just forget about it? I posted this thread to begin with because it's not clear to me.
Have you made sure your relatives didn't lose a $100 bill (since that's part of your concern)? I'd see about that first.

If they haven't... well, the lady said it wasn't hers. So there's no evidence that skycap stole from her. How would you expect the police to proceed when the victim of the supposed crime denies the crime happened?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Have you made sure your relatives didn't lose a $100 bill (since that's part of your concern)? I'd see about that first.

If they haven't... well, the lady said it wasn't hers. So there's no evidence that skycap stole from her. How would you expect the police to proceed when the victim of the supposed crime denies the crime happened?
I have not made sure, nor do I know if it was theirs or not. I'm not even sure if they can be certain. But does the skycap really have merit to authoritatively pluck found bills out of peoples hands? I don't accept that premise, nor think that its professional, or should be allowed.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:02 am

It's probably not professional to pluck anything out of anyone's hands but who's to say that the $100 wasn't the skycaps to begin with? You're so focused on the old woman but even she said it wasn't hers. She would probably know if she had a $100 bill on her and she probably didn't so she knew right away that it wasn't hers.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I have not made sure, nor do I know if it was theirs or not. I'm not even sure if they can be certain. But does the skycap really have merit to authoritatively pluck found bills out of peoples hands? I don't accept that premise, nor think that its professional, or should be allowed.
The PoS police isn't there to provide employee training for skycaps.

Your concern now seems to be behavior, not concern about a crime? I guess leave customer service feedback and call it good.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Maybe put yourself in the skycap's shoes....he get a huge tip for helping a large group with lots of bags and feels really fortunate. He's thinking about the nice gift he can buy his wife. Then he sees a $100 bill being picked up, touches his pocket and realizes it must be the one he thought he put securely into that pocket. A moment of panic and he appears to be grabbing the bill when all he is doing is panicking!

The bill didn't belong to the elderly lady (most of we elderly ladies sort out our various tips in advance and have them handy without the risk of dropping a large bill.....), it wasn't your family's so who else could it have belonged to? It doesn't sound like anyone else was there.

Give the skycap the benefit of the doubt if for no other reason than you have absolutely no proof that the bill wasn't his!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
It might not even have been a huge tip. Someone might have come up to check their bags and said "I only have a hundred, can you give me some change so I can give you a tip?", he took the hundred, gave the guy $90 or whatever.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Also true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.