Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Announces SEA-IAD Starting 3/11/15

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: lots of little things
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, now we know where the SEA-LGB aircraft went!
I think you're right, those CRJs are going to be rotated into a different market (ONT I guess) freeing up a 737 or two. Obviously not used directly for a transcon.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220
The Silver Line won't make it all the way to IAD's doorstep for another 4 or 5 years. They are starting work on the concrete stanchions now. In current state the Metro reaches as far as Wiehle Avenue / Reston, and then you get a $5 bus from there which runs on 30-minute headways. It's still a pain in the neck getting out there, and the C/D gates at Dulles are terrible -- though who knows where AS will gate there? Maybe the close-in Z gates.
Bus to Roslyn and then on the metro is probably best for now?

I don't think this is going to change things much, but it might take some elites from the 'burbs out of the mix at DCA.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

SEA-RDU hopeful here...
+1, esp. if it comes in time for my 40-year Duke reunion next April!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Bus to Roslyn and then on the metro is probably best for now?
The best option was the one they 86'd when the Silver Line half-opened: the reliable $10 Washington Flyer bus to West Falls Church, then Orange Line inbound.

The 5A bus to Rosslyn is notorious for running way off schedule and it's a rickety transit-style jalopy bus flying down I-66 (or inching as the case may be). Fine if you time it right, but infuriating if you just miss one, then hit I-66 gridlock. And then there are the time-consuming serpentine stops at Herndon Park and Ride which are also calculated to raise your blood pressure if you're IAD-bound and the bus is already late and you're sitting there worrying about the TSA line.

The new $5 bus to Wiehle Avenue is narrowly preferred but also subject to traffic slowdowns, as it has to navigate a stretch of non-toll road highway which may be gridlocked at rush hours. But once you finally get on a Silver Line train it rolls unencumbered... at least until you join the overtaxed Orange/Silver track and head toward the Rosslyn Orange/Silver/Blue chokepoint.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
This is pretty impressive, AS will have service to all three major DC airports. Wish they would have more to NYC, only 2x (sometimes 1x) SEA-EWR.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
The best option was the one they 86'd when the Silver Line half-opened: the reliable $10 Washington Flyer bus to West Falls Church, then Orange Line inbound.

The 5A bus to Rosslyn is notorious for running way off schedule and it's a rickety transit-style jalopy bus flying down I-66 (or inching as the case may be). Fine if you time it right, but infuriating if you just miss one, then hit I-66 gridlock. And then there are the time-consuming serpentine stops at Herndon Park and Ride which are also calculated to raise your blood pressure if you're IAD-bound and the bus is already late and you're sitting there worrying about the TSA line.

The new $5 bus to Wiehle Avenue is narrowly preferred but also subject to traffic slowdowns, as it has to navigate a stretch of non-toll road highway which may be gridlocked at rush hours. But once you finally get on a Silver Line train it rolls unencumbered... at least until you join the overtaxed Orange/Silver track and head toward the Rosslyn Orange/Silver/Blue chokepoint.
spoken like another veteran of the I-66 and Orange Line wars! I've done the 5A a couple times a year for the past 12-14 years ... mostly outbound from Rosslyn on summer evenings, with all the TATL-bound tourists dragging two or three oversized bulging suitcases; also a couple times inbound, after arriving on redeyes from SEA/LAX ... those weren't quite as bad getting on the bus, although the commuter crush at Herndon sometimes made disembarking a little more challenging

fortunately, I'm currently spending most of my time in an office adjacent to the new Wiehle station, so I just have to let the admin folks know that I'll be leaving my car in the garage for a couple days
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

When is the metro supposed to open?
The Silver Line won't make it all the way to IAD's doorstep for another 4 or 5 years. They are starting work on the concrete stanchions now. In current state the Metro reaches as far as Wiehle Avenue / Reston, and then you get a $5 bus from there which runs on 30-minute headways. It's still a pain in the neck getting out there, and the C/D gates at Dulles are terrible -- though who knows where AS will gate there? Maybe the close-in Z gates.

Here's an interesting write-up on the "decrepit" / ignored state of Dulles while DCA is in line for a $1 billion expansion project.

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...t-theres-hope/
Sounds like AS announced this route 4-5 years early then

Is at least the rental car situation ok at IAD?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
better than BWI, but far from "great"

i think i am going to book a seat on the inaugural. anyone else considering it?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

The best thing about IAD is how low the airport hotel prices are....Hilton, Marriott, etc. can easily be had most days for under $100 and even less if you're willing to Priceline it.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

I looked @ it this morning around 7 AM. 320 OW from ANC...but I'd have to do a turn pretty much as the route starts during the week of Spring Break for those in Alaska, and fares shoot up. IAD isn't that exotic for me
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I hope that is a legal connect time to the AF flight to CDG. That would be a nice option for us.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I looked @ it this morning around 7 AM. 320 OW from ANC...but I'd have to do a turn pretty much as the route starts during the week of Spring Break for those in Alaska, and fares shoot up. IAD isn't that exotic for me
More "exotic" than DTW I agree about the Spring Break issue...March is a real wild card month for fares....fares out of PDX are at least double to EVERYWHERE during the first and last 3 or 4 days of Spring Break and then you have the Vancouver (WA) Spring Break to deal with the next month.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by dgreen12
+1

And a double mile promotion to boot! (RDMs, not EQMs.)
Yeah - I was bummed when I saw they weren't EQM... I would have probably been willing to do about 3 turn-n-burns if they had been.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)

I'll probably be on it in one direction or the other

currently living ~20 miles from IAD; have a quarterly mtg in SEA, but don't know now whether it's the previous week or the following ... the organizers should announce the date by the end of this month, with the details for Dec
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lalala
I hope that is a legal connect time to the AF flight to CDG. That would be a nice option for us.
in mid Mar you'll be ok outbound (2+30), but only have 1+00 on the return; by late Apr AF shows their flights running approx an hour earlier

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.