Wiki Posts
Search

AA Booking code "O"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
AA Booking code "O"

Hello, a lot of my travel is LAX-ORD and usually fly AA. But lately I've been having a hard time booking because if I want to book more than 1 week in advance almost all the fares are "O". Anyone knows if there has been any changes lately with the fares or any advice on how to book a different fare?
Unfortunately I have to book directly through my company's booking system, can't be directly from AS website. Thanks
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The only way I've found to book directly into a higher fare class is to either call AA or wait for the fare class to move up as departure nears. You can also book "O" and then pay up to a higher fare afterwards, but that's probably the hardest case to justify in terms of expense reporting. Luckily I can book my own work travel with just my corp card, but it doesn't sound like there's a workable solution for your situation other than waiting for the lowest available fare class to go up online.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The only way I've found to book directly into a higher fare class is to either call AA or wait for the fare class to move up as departure nears. You can also book "O" and then pay up to a higher fare afterwards, but that's probably the hardest case to justify in terms of expense reporting. Luckily I can book my own work travel with just my corp card, but it doesn't sound like there's a workable solution for your situation other than waiting for the lowest available fare class to go up online.
The O --> Q difference often isn't too much (on competitive routes, could be something like $10-$20 -- small enough to just pay out of pocket and not worry about too much). Or are there other expensing issues in play here?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
The O --> Q difference often isn't too much (on competitive routes, could be something like $10-$20 -- small enough to just pay out of pocket and not worry about too much). Or are there other expensing issues in play here?
No other expensing issues, but from what I've seen sometimes fares go up for $100-150 if you book couple of weeks prior compare to booking a month or so before.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by marubill
No other expensing issues, but from what I've seen sometimes fares go up for $100-150 if you book couple of weeks prior compare to booking a month or so before.
Q is only one fare class higher than O, so the difference may not be significant. However, there may be a greater difference closer in
Old Oct 28, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I agree that the O->Q difference usually isn't huge... I think I've seen a $40 difference on a ATL-DFW-TUL round-trip as the highest I've personally paid to move up from O -> Q. That said, I've seen instances where O was available, Q was not, and the next highest AVAILABLE fare class was in the ~$100 higher range. These may be the same instances where waiting yielded a large jump once O sold out.

Given the need to book through your company's portal, paying-up after the fact (possibly out of pocket) or waiting it out seem to be your only options... only one of the two is likely to be looked upon favorably by whoever is approving your expense reports.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I agree that the O->Q difference usually isn't huge... I think I've seen a $40 difference on a ATL-DFW-TUL round-trip as the highest I've personally paid to move up from O -> Q. That said, I've seen instances where O was available, Q was not, and the next highest AVAILABLE fare class was in the ~$100 higher range. These may be the same instances where waiting yielded a large jump once O sold out.

Given the need to book through your company's portal, paying-up after the fact (possibly out of pocket) or waiting it out seem to be your only options... only one of the two is likely to be looked upon favorably by whoever is approving your expense reports.
I haven't done this myself, but presumably if O is open and Q is not (how often does that happen? Seems strange to me), couldn't an AA agent open up Q space to upfare you? It's pretty much free money for AA...
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
I haven't done this myself, but presumably if O is open and Q is not (how often does that happen? Seems strange to me), couldn't an AA agent open up Q space to upfare you? It's pretty much free money for AA...
O is a subset of Q so if O is available Q is too. Now that doesn't necessarily mean a Q fare is available for sale.

Best way if one can use AA site is put O fare on 24 hour hold, call to have reservations bump it up to the next highest fare so you can go back online to complete the purchase.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Is there a way to figure out the next higher fare price without using a paid service like Expert Flyer or calling AA? AA/AS has lost some money from me for the "O" class restriction, but if I had been looking at only $10 difference I probably would have booked it.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Is there a way to figure out the next higher fare price without using a paid service like Expert Flyer or calling AA? AA/AS has lost some money from me for the "O" class restriction, but if I had been looking at only $10 difference I probably would have booked it.
You would have to call reservations unless you have GDS access (paid options like EF).
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the advice
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alphaeagle
The price difference can be pretty big too. I found a $150 one way O fare BOS-PDX 12/10/14. There were several other O fares before going up to an earning fare. The earning one a G fare which was $50 more. Q was much higher
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
O is a subset of Q so if O is available Q is too. Now that doesn't necessarily mean a Q fare is available for sale.

Best way if one can use AA site is put O fare on 24 hour hold, call to have reservations bump it up to the next highest fare so you can go back online to complete the purchase.
This has the added advantage that you won't incur a phone booking fee and can login and pay online just like any other itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.