Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No more advance seat assignment or upgrades on Delta "economy basic" fares??

No more advance seat assignment or upgrades on Delta "economy basic" fares??

Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Unless you're the rare business traveler who books far in advance, I doubt it. You won't see an E fare 10 days out.
I don't think it's that rare. In my last 3 previous jobs I was required to buy lowest coach and often booked 3-4 weeks out. Two of those jobs had a travel coordinator who made all bookings and the other was self-booked through Egencia (Expedia for corporate travel), so there would be very little way around it either (either falsely waiting until no more E/O to book or looking for times/routings without E/O). I'm lucky now to be in a position where I book my own travel through any portal I like, so buying up out of E/O isn't really a problem, but I know there are plenty of business people who this impacts (see other threads on AA O fares for proof).

I saw my first E fare recently on ATL-FLL (clearly a leisure route with ULCC competition), but it was nice that it was clearly differentiated from the lowest full-benefit coach fares... AA would likely capture a somewhat notable incremental revenue gain if they did the same for O, but then again they have the Essential/Plus options that are independent of fare class.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I don't think it's that rare. In my last 3 previous jobs I was required to buy lowest coach and often booked 3-4 weeks out. Two of those jobs had a travel coordinator who made all bookings and the other was self-booked through Egencia (Expedia for corporate travel), so there would be very little way around it either (either falsely waiting until no more E/O to book or looking for times/routings without E/O). I'm lucky now to be in a position where I book my own travel through any portal I like, so buying up out of E/O isn't really a problem, but I know there are plenty of business people who this impacts (see other threads on AA O fares for proof).

I saw my first E fare recently on ATL-FLL (clearly a leisure route with ULCC competition), but it was nice that it was clearly differentiated from the lowest full-benefit coach fares... AA would likely capture a somewhat notable incremental revenue gain if they did the same for O, but then again they have the Essential/Plus options that are independent of fare class.
And let's all keep in mind that while these E fares may be relatively uncommon now and limited to routes with direct LCC competition, with all the recent dismantling of the DL (and UA) frequent flyer programs, now that this fare code exists, DL is fully capable of rolling it into more routes in the future.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Unless you're the rare business traveler who books far in advance, I doubt it. You won't see an E fare 10 days out.
To be fair, most of my advance travel bookings are for international travel, but I regularly book 2-3 months in advance.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
And let's all keep in mind that while these E fares may be relatively uncommon now and limited to routes with direct LCC competition, with all the recent dismantling of the DL (and UA) frequent flyer programs, now that this fare code exists, DL is fully capable of rolling it into more routes in the future.
Especially if they add reduced pitch seats on some aircraft, as has hypothesized in this thread.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Especially if they add reduced pitch seats on some aircraft, as has hypothesized in this thread.
Wow....that happened pretty quick

http://www.flyertalk.com/story/delta...-ticket-o.html
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Guess one can use that whopping $20 saving towards checking a bag?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.