Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What % of your MVP/MVPG/75K status is made up of leisure travel and mileage runs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What % of your MVP/MVPG/75K status is made up of leisure travel and mileage runs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Just out of curiosity, what % of your AS elite status is earned through leisure travel and mileage runs?? Without leisure travel and mileage runs, what elite level (if any) would you be at?

I'll start us off....my wife and I earn 100% of our MVP (and soon to be MVPG) status through leisure travel and mileage runs. With that said, unless we're going to someplace like, say, DTW , our mileage runs typically turn into leisure trips since we usually spend at least one night.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:44 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
some years no mileage runs, at most maybe 0-5% is actual mileage runs in any given year. Done anc/fai a couple times before for some segments and some ANC/SEA before when they used to run good sales but other than that not really. I will however once in a while fly a paid F segment here and there on a route Im already flying on OR will add a segment or connection where one isnt really needed and could alternatively fly the route on a nonstop. I prefer that much more over doing a quick turn run just for miles. Id say most times my leisure travel is less than 25% although theres been times that its probably been over 50% of it.

Overheard a guy at RDU today talking to US/AA CSA about how he was flying RDU-DCA-ORD today rather than RDU-ORD because he had to make sure to get his 100 segments in by the end of the year

Last edited by ANC; Oct 25, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:02 pm
Suspended

10% biz travel, 90% leisure, 0% mile run.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
I don't travel for business(too young), as you may see from the QF title 'SFSC'- self-funded status chaser. So... I guess 100%? I did MR a ton this year, which will probably consist of 50% of my AS status
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Straight leisure. Wish work picked up a trip or two.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
For me it is about 95% work and just barely 5% leisure. Even less leisure when I use miles for fun and don't earn status miles for those trips
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
According to an export of all my activity for the year, 40,414 (75%) of my miles were for work and 13,209 (25%) were for leisure. This doesn't include a likely two additional cross-country trips for work and one more leisure trip before the end of the year.

Neil
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
100% leisure travel/not for work.

Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
100% leisure for me as well.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
These DTW turns are the first pure mileage runs that I have ever done, where I just turn right around, get back on the plane and come home. I have in the past been known to route myself on a vacation to get additional miles, such as SEA-MCO via SAN, but only if the fare was worth it.

I never know how to answer the "business vs leisure" travel question as the bulk of my mileage comes from traveling to/from work but it is all on my dime. So technically it's business I guess, but since I am paying does that make it leisure?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slopeboy40
These DTW turns are the first pure mileage runs that I have ever done, where I just turn right around, get back on the plane and come home. I have in the past been known to route myself on a vacation to get additional miles, such as SEA-MCO via SAN, but only if the fare was worth it.

I never know how to answer the "business vs leisure" travel question as the bulk of my mileage comes from traveling to/from work but it is all on my dime. So technically it's business I guess, but since I am paying does that make it leisure?
Unless you are self-employed and running your own business, the way I distinguish it is based on whether someone else pays (business) or you pay (leisure/mileage run).
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
In that case it's 90% leisure, 10% MR.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I've been on 1 work trip in the last 10 years
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:24 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Unless you are self-employed and running your own business, the way I distinguish it is based on whether someone else pays (business) or you pay (leisure/mileage run).
I think you need another catergory then.... "commuting" The business doesnt pay for it and you are traveling on your days off. But you are also not flying for fun or leisure but going to work in a plane instead of a car. I dont know of anyone who considers driving their car to work, leisure travel

Most travel to the arctic slope is for work/business and not leisure but its on your own time and dime to get to and from work if you are a ground pounder or lower level management. 2 weeks on 1 week off or 3 on 1 off can be a bit misleading. You burn up at least 2 of your days off flying to and from
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ANC
I think you need another catergory then.... "commuting" The business doesnt pay for it and you are traveling on your days off. But you are also not flying for fun or leisure but going to work in a plane instead of a car. I dont know of anyone who considers driving their car to work, leisure travel

Most travel to the arctic slope is for work/business and not leisure but its on your own time and dime to get to and from work if you are a ground pounder or lower level management. 2 weeks on 1 week off or 3 on 1 off can be a bit misleading. You burn up at least 2 of your days off flying to and from
I think what I was really getting at was how many of us "self-fund" our own elite status...so commuting may not be that "leisurely", but one of the benefits of that chosen job is that the pay is so high that you can afford to commute by flying which is of course another form of self-funded travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.