Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Booking DL for the Amex Plat Sky Club access??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I typically stick with AS metal when I can, but I thought I would try PDX-SEA-SFO on DL for an upcoming trip (and crediting to AS of course) since I've got an AMEX Plat card, but never get to check out the Sky Clubs since they require a DL boarding pass and I'm almost always on AS.

1. How do the Sky Clubs compare to the Alaska BRs in PDX and SEA? Since this trip involves a connection, I'd get to visit the Sky Clubs in both cities.

2. I know I won't get the free baggage, but I'll at least still get my 100% MVPG bonus and a chance at an upgrade which seems more likely on the DL west coast hops (based on AS elite upgrade reports) although I haven't seen one elite yet that has reported getting upgraded on the relatively new PDX-SEA flights. For those AS elites out there that fly DL a lot, do you just wait for your name to be called at the gate if you think there is a chance or do you walk up and ask about it ahead of time? During my UA days, if I thought I would clear, I would always walk up to the GA before they started clearing F seats and ask about my upgrade chances and more often then not, they would go ahead and upgrade me on the spot which gave me a chance to request an aisle seat (if I had a choice).
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

If you do this check out the SFO skyclub as well- its landside upstairs.

SEA SC has some merits- the view, showers and lots of room, but I still prefer the BR's myself.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SC bartenders tend to expect tips, which are not contributed to charity.

The SEA lounge is new and modern, with white, cobalt blue, and silver colors. The furniture seems to be mostly plastic.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
PDX SC is only slightly larger than the Alaska BR. Also the DL agents seem more willing to give you free economy comfort if your upgrade doesn't clear. But I truly have a hard time going back to Horizon after flying a CRJ 900 between PDX and SEA now...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
PDX SC is only slightly larger than the Alaska BR. Also the DL agents seem more willing to give you free economy comfort if your upgrade doesn't clear. But I truly have a hard time going back to Horizon after flying a CRJ 900 between PDX and SEA now...
Have the upgrades on PDX-SEA been fairly easy to get?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
DL agents are supposed to allow the automated UG system to run to completion, so unless they are willing to break protocol asking will not do much. If they start boarding and F seats are still available, wait to board as when you board you're dropped from the waitlist.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
DL agents are supposed to allow the automated UG system to run to completion, so unless they are willing to break protocol asking will not do much. If they start boarding and F seats are still available, wait to board as when you board you're dropped from the waitlist.
Interesting, so the automated system on DL runs til like boarding (T-30min.)? I got use to UA where the automatic upgrade system seemed to be done when the flight went to gate control so officially the gate agents had to wait til 30 or 45 min. before boarding but would sometimes go ahead and print the new BP if you were standing there at T-60min. and it was clear your upgrade was going to clear anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Interesting, so the automated system on DL runs til like boarding (T-30min.)? I got use to UA where the automatic upgrade system seemed to be done when the flight went to gate control so officially the gate agents had to wait til 30 or 45 min. before boarding but would sometimes go ahead and print the new BP if you were standing there at T-60min. and it was clear your upgrade was going to clear anyway.
i think the DL system runs until the flight closes out. when i was in EWR a few weeks ago, the upgrade list continued to be processed automatically until ~T-15 when we were finally upgraded into the last two seats. we then scanned our coach BPs and the F BPs spit out. whether or not we jumped anyone who was ahead of us by waiting it out, i'm not sure, but it didn't seem that way.

on the other hand, at STL in April, i was waiting for my flight to LGA and saw myself drop off the upgrade list at T-40. i could see the list was continuing to process, so i approached the GA to inquire and upgraded me on the spot. he didn't have an explanation as to why i fell off the list but said he was processing non-revs so i could have a seat too all in all he was cool though. i just wish DL would process AS elites on empty flights sooner than T-45.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree DL needs to process AS upgrades earlier...after all, AS does this for DL elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.