Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give Alaska Airlines The Finger!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Alaska Airlines advocates fingerprint check-in would have been much more descriptive as a thread title.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles
Sheesh. This is a perfect thread title ^. Always a killjoy about
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I don't understand. Your fingerprint is stored somewhere. When you put your finger on the scanner, it's compared against that image. Somewhere, your personal info is associated with the image. Can you go into more details here please?

It's measured in multiple seconds at each check, not milliseconds. Think about the daily # of transactions. It adds up. As for kiosk, I thought they always made you swipe a credit card (which again adds seconds).

Uh, no. They would use the current system and it's a little slower.
In a phrase: One-way encryption. Has been used for passwords on computer systems for a long time.

You can take the source, encrypt it in a way that you cannot take the resultant information and reverse it to obtain the original information.
So when you present the original data (fingerprint image/metadata or password) and encrypt it again in the same way, then compare the two results, if match the results match - because it's the same source info - the system then gives a green light.

If done properly your personal information can never be leaked out, because it's in a format that's useless to those who want to exploit it.

Unfortunately, lots of organisations/government entities/etc don't always do it "the right way".
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:16 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by coastalguy
I've been shocked this hasn't been a requirement for years now all over the world - every airport, every flight. I will avoid getting into specific use cases of what could have happened based on the lack of true identity verification prior to boarding - let's face it - photo identification isn't secure, and rarely does photo ID get checked again prior to boarding...

And for the people who cry foul that the government(s) around the world shouldn't have your fingerprints: The average person leaves a ridiculous amount of DNA and print trace everywhere you go.
If someone is screened by security and deemed safe to board a flight, then it doesn't matter who they are.

Whether or not you leave DNA and fingerprints everywhere, the government has no business collecting this information unless a crime has been committed and this would aid in identifying the criminal.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
Biometrics are the future, yes, but not a next-Monday option. I'm not going to be any company's beta tester for bio data security while the biggest corporate names in the country are losing peoples' credit card info every week by the tens of millions. This ain't ready for prime time.
Biometrics may be the future, but even if the TSA were to adopt a biometric, it's not clear AS has suggested the right biometric for the TSA. Customs and Border Patrol already has a biometric for Global Entry (GE), but it's hand scans, not fingerprints. And their (partnered with Canada) Canadian border program NEXUS uses iris scans, not fingerprints.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Biometrics may be the future, but even if the TSA were to adopt a biometric, it's not clear AS has suggested the right biometric for the TSA. Customs and Border Patrol already has a biometric for Global Entry (GE), but it's hand scans, not fingerprints. And their (partnered with Canada) Canadian border program NEXUS uses iris scans, not fingerprints.
Very true. All across the cyber world the push now is toward "dual-factor authentication" with some biometric element to do transactions or verify identity. The motives are not only the weakness of password/PIN protocols, but that most people by now have dozens of them and use obvious ones or never change them. So passwords are essentially dead, but nobody knows what will replace them: face scan, hand scan, iris scan, thumbprint scan, etc., probably in combination with some digital "key" on your smartphone or wearable device. Premature to say.

And having just taken a couple of stitches in my thumb because I let a wayward stair-rail splinter get lodged/infected in there, I would not like to be denied passage on Alaska because I have a bandage around the relevant digit at the moment (and the whorl may be altered to the point the scanners kick me out). Early crude digit scanners may not be very forgiving. I had a Toshiba laptop awhile ago equipped with a face-scan login feature (as an alternative to typing in a password) and it was ridiculously dysfunctional.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Customs and Border Patrol already has a biometric for Global Entry (GE), but it's hand scans, not fingerprints.
GE is fingerprints, 5 fingers instead of just one.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 2:33 pm

One can certainly imagine an AS committee one-day implementing a requirement that everyone present a finger-print, no exceptions, without ever stopping to realize that there are some people without any fingers to print and a few without any friction ridges on their fingers to print.

I wouldn't be surprised if AS's interest in principally to get people talking about AS.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
BA at LHR already takes your picture when you check in and then does facial recognition at the boarding gate to let you board.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Scandinavian Airlines had a pilot project running using fingerprints as ID for domestic flights in 2006-2007. I can't find any references to why it was not put into wider use and ultimately stopped again. But looking at the old articles (in Danish only) there was a good response from the travellers.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
AS actually previewed this at the GeekWire Summit in Seattle on October 2. They did mention it was based, in part, on the pilot of biometrics for the Board Room (for which I've signed up in Seattle).

Seems the TSA has a lot of info about us already, if we've opted in to PreCheck (including our fingerprints, for those who signed up outside of a frequent flier program).

How is this different from submitting fingerprints for PreCheck? How do you balance privacy vs. convenience in this particular case, if the TSA already has detailed information about you?

FWIW, I'm writing a column about this in the coming week, and if you'd prefer to respond by private message, please feel free to do so.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Oct 11, 2014 at 9:35 pm
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Alaska Airlines advocates fingerprint check-in would have been much more descriptive as a thread title.

http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles
But that wouldn't be nearly as amusing....
Old Oct 12, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by beckoa

Yes the BR has had this- haven't seen anyone use it though...
I signed up in SEA the day they rolled it out there. I use it occasionally in PDX and SEA. It works about 50% of the time and the other 50% I forget which finger I scanned.

The BR management person in SEA explained the scanner takes the image of your fingerprint and changes it to a series of random characters, which are then stored by AS. Those are what are verified when you scan in. Who knows if this is true or not.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
AS actually previewed this at the GeekWire Summit in Seattle on October 2. They did mention it was based, in part, on the pilot of biometrics for the Board Room (for which I've signed up in Seattle).

Seems the TSA has a lot of info about us already, if we've opted in to PreCheck (including our fingerprints, for those who signed up outside of a frequent flier program).

How is this different from submitting fingerprints for PreCheck? How do you balance privacy vs. convenience in this particular case, if the TSA already has detailed information about you?

FWIW, I'm writing a column about this in the coming week, and if you'd prefer to respond by private message, please feel free to do so.
For GeekWire? I went to the trivia night back in July and am college friends with one of the bloggers -- great stuff coming out of GeekWire!
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
For GeekWire? I went to the trivia night back in July and am college friends with one of the bloggers -- great stuff coming out of GeekWire!
I'm one of GeekWire's two columnists. Shouldn't be hard to figure out which one.

I've written about AS' tech in the past for GeekWire, either as an entire column or as part of a travel-tech themed post.

I'll be writing about this next week, having seen the "preview" at the GeekWire Summit. Mostly interested in the privacy pros/cons, though for me (and anyone else in PreCheck) the privacy issue may be less as TSA already has much detail about me. Part of it will be if this is optional, as it is for Board Room entry now (and even as PreCheck is optional for travelers).
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG (OWS)
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
The reality is that Disney doesn't actually save fingerprint images. Rather, they save a mathematical construct based on a set number of data points. Even if the encryption could be cracked, it can't be used to re-create a full fingerprint because only a portion of the print was captured when initially entered.
If "all" they save is the information necessary to reproduce a fingerprint that gets you access to everything that my fingerprint gets me access to, I'm not particularly put at ease by the fact that a close inspection will reveal that it's the fake fingerptint that works just as well is not my actual fingerprint.

Storing fingerprint information — even in this form — seems nuts to me and I would want no part. Poor security practices by private companies has meant that I've had to change my credit card number several times. Fingerprint data is much easier to accidently reveal and cannot be easily changed.

I say no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.