Search

Please don't page me at the gate to ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:12 pm

It's pretty clear now. OP = Mike Ditka.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
MANY years ago, I did a turnaround mileage run SEA - MCO - SEA - with a souvenir alligator shot glass to prove it! I was called to the podium in Orlando, with the comment, "We just wanted to see who you were (based on your itinerary)."
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
MANY years ago, I did a turnaround mileage run SEA - MCO - SEA - with a souvenir alligator shot glass to prove it! I was called to the podium in Orlando, with the comment, "We just wanted to see who you were (based on your itinerary)."

Glad you got the shot glass.

Did a MCO turn several years ago (ex-SAN). Was sad the space store was closed that early (landside)- wanted some ice cream
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:38 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by czpdx
Unless I'm reading things wrong, I think it's clear from the OP that they're a public figure of some sort and they like anonymity during travel when they can get it.
I'm with the same impression. ^
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler since 2011, Lifetime MVPG
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
It's pretty clear now. OP = Mike Ditka.
I was thinking Alec Baldwin.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations, Eastbay1k! Your 15 minutes starts now!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rjque
Congratulations, Eastbay1k! Your 15 minutes starts now!
I used my 15 minutes up in RNO last night. It was a work-related trip (for a meeting this AM). I drove
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Isnt this another version of DYKWIA?
Following that logic, why dont handicapped people automatically get to sit in business? They have suffered enough in life
LOL.

The OP is an exact case of DYKWIA.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 33teeth
LOL.

The OP is an exact case of DYKWIA.
Um, it is actually I don't want you to KWIA.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
No offense, but I believe a FA would ask you to switch seats, but I have a hard time believing they would ask you to give up your first class seat and take a bulkhead in coach. If so, that FA should have been reported immediately.
SORRY for the typo!!!

FA requested I move from my F bulkhead seat to the last row in F. So she didnt try to downgrade me to coach.

Last edited by UFgatorgal; Sep 23, 2014 at 1:34 am
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist

I just read the whole thread, and figured I'd add my $0.02 down here at comment #71. I think the GA behaved correctly. IMHO:

1) If the pax want to move, they should ask the GA, not tie up the aisle trying to negotiate it onboard.
2) If the GA wants to help, she can, and should. She should page the passenger by name. Eastbay1K, I don't know what line of work you're in, but unless you're a top-secret spy I can't see the harm. And if you ARE a top secret spy, you'd best be traveling under an alias.
3) If you want to refuse, you can, and should, and should not get the least bit of flack for it. I know I would if somebody wanted the seat that I'd carefully selected.

$0.02 submitted.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Um, it is actually I don't want you to KWIA.
I have to ask - would anyone at the airport even know who you were, or is this just on the general grounds of having your privacy respected? I can respect the latter even if I don't agree/doesn't matter to me, but if it's the former the airlines can arrange some privacy in advance if you notify them.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
+1 EB1K

My choice to trade seats is only my own.
Sometimes I do, but I don’t feel obligated.

Seat poachers – W.T.F.?
I’ve seen it and its not OK.

Luckily there is no name recognization if I get paged at the gate, just mild oh eff.
What has been worse for me is at the end of a transpac flight, been first guy at the door to get off and the GA opening the door has a slip of paper for the Purser and says don’t let anyone off until you find this guy . . . . .and oh joy, I see the name and its me (again). Always survivable, eff.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold
Perhaps the airlines should get with the 21st century and see if there is a mobile phone number listed in the reservation. If so, then send a text message with the request to change seats and/or asking them to come to the podium. If agents could do this for standbys and so forth, it would certainly cut down a bit on the noise level at gates, and one could leave the gate area to use the loo if necessary and not worry about missing the page, and people would worry less about 'was that my name I just heard' ...
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:42 am
HMO

Originally Posted by Mehdron
Perhaps the airlines should get with the 21st century and see if there is a mobile phone number listed in the reservation. If so, then send a text message with the request to change seats and/or asking them to come to the podium. If agents could do this for standbys and so forth, it would certainly cut down a bit on the noise level at gates, and one could leave the gate area to use the loo if necessary and not worry about missing the page, and people would worry less about 'was that my name I just heard' ...
If you don't heard your name, it's your problem, because (almost) everybody can attest GA called you.

Via SMS, someone who miss an upgrade can blame GA, the sending system, the telco, etc.

I don't believe the a/c will agree with these (potential & extra) liabilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.