Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please don't page me at the gate to ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I'd tell them "sit together in Y, or a few seats away in F, the choice is up to you"
^

Give them an inch...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Really?

That is a flame, but it's a bit much for someone with 34 posts on a board that historically treats folks pretty nice.
It could be a bit much in that it's strongly worded (I don't mean to imply that the OP isn't generally a decent human being) but it's the truth from where I sit and it was invited in the OP. I generally treat people pretty nicely on all forums - but also in person. Thinking it's an unacceptable annoyance to be paged to have a question asked is a bit much. Calling someone out for it is not. It's only my opinion. Do I need to have 1000+ posts to have an opinion here? I would think that my years on the planet should be enough.

Last edited by 33teeth; Sep 21, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by 33teeth
Maybe fondle your FF card so everyone can see it.
Its fun to fondle...but one should use discretion
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by beckoa
Its fun to fondle...but one should use discretion
Did you ever really want to be fondled by someone with 33 teeth?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't really understand why paging is an issue. It's been done for me and my two year old daughter, and I think it's much easier than asking on the plane. A seat change at the gate means I can much more quickly get seated on board. An on board request can be complicated when traveling with someone who requires special equipment to be attached to the seat (a car seat or a CARES harness).

Of course, I completely get not wanting to switch to a lesser seat. But I don't get why paging is an issue, particularly when it is likely to make the boarding process a whole lot easier.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by rjque
I don't really understand why paging is an issue.
Unless I'm reading things wrong, I think it's clear from the OP that they're a public figure of some sort and they like anonymity during travel when they can get it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by czpdx
Unless I'm reading things wrong, I think it's clear from the OP that they're a public figure of some sort and they like anonymity during travel when they can get it.
I'd say OP also meant paging should only be reserved for emergency issues or seat upgrades etc, and not so someone can try to switch seats with him.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I was politely asked to switch F seats this morning on AS 615. I did. Sorry to make all the folks who buy F more irate when those polite requests come in. If it makes you feel any better, I was on an upgrade and so obviously it wasn't like a full paying F customer was abused.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'll be the voice of dissent. Do you know the full story of the family looking for accommodation? Is it possible there's more to it than just the convenience of a family sitting together, hence the (mildly) drastic measure of paging you to the desk?

I have 2 sons with ASD and it absolutely would not be a workable solution for my wife and I to fly separated from them, even by a row or a few feet. If that meant giving up an upgrade and keeping our original coach seats, so be it. That said, if it would be workable to maintain the upgrade I would be genuinely grateful to a GA who made an effort to sort it out. I wouldn't be bothered by the GA being 100% transparent when explaining the situation to anyone else involved, but others might appreciated discretion as well, and I can understand that and would personally hope their privacy was put ahead of the OP's desire to not have his name announced in public.

I'm not saying this is the OP's situation, but sometimes there is more at play than meets the eye. If it were this type of situation, I wouldn't think anything the GA did was out of place. The OP would certainly be within his rights to cling to his assigned seats, but it would make me question his humanity a bit if, knowing the details, he still wouldn't swap and still felt as annoyed at the request.

If it's 100% clear that it's mom/dad and their teenage kids with no other issues at play and you want to be that guy, go for it. But if there's a chance there's more involved that you just don't know, maybe think about making someone else's rough situation a little easier, even if there's only a chance that's the case.
Isnt this another version of DYKWIA?
Following that logic, why dont handicapped people automatically get to sit in business? They have suffered enough in life
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by rjque
I don't really understand why paging is an issue. It's been done for me and my two year old daughter, and I think it's much easier than asking on the plane. A seat change at the gate means I can much more quickly get seated on board. An on board request can be complicated when traveling with someone who requires special equipment to be attached to the seat (a car seat or a CARES harness).

Of course, I completely get not wanting to switch to a lesser seat. But I don't get why paging is an issue, particularly when it is likely to make the boarding process a whole lot easier.
Paging is an issue in the same way getting called from a doctor's office about a family member. Maybe they just wanted to tell you about an appointment change, but it could be worse.
Nothing is reserved for emergencies anymore. In California the alert system for cell phones was used for an Amber Alert. Is that valid?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Paging is an issue in the same way getting called from a doctor's office about a family member. Maybe they just wanted to tell you about an appointment change, but it could be worse.
Nothing is reserved for emergencies anymore. In California the alert system for cell phones was used for an Amber Alert. Is that valid?
Paging has never been just for emergencies. It's used to get the flight in order before it goes out. Handling seat change requests before boarding falls squarely into that category.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Having logged over 1 million miles on Alaska, I'm surprised that I have no recollection of ever having been paged by the gate agent to switch seats except for a row 6 situation to help out a physically challenged passenger. I've just been lucky, I guess.

Those of us who fly a lot and consistently book aisle seats - or choose NOT to sit in row 4 - have well established and good reasons for doing so. This desire to always be near your traveling companion seems awfully needy to me. While I reckon there's no harm in asking someone if they'd be willing to switch seats, I personally think that anyone upgraded should be thankful for that alone.

Paging me by name at the gate wouldn't bother me so much - thankfully nobody knows or cares who I am, anyway - but aside from that I'm with you 100%, Eastbay1K.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Sep 22, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
1. If I was a public figure of any stature, gate page would bother me too.

2. Don't remember ever being gate paged, at least not for a seat change request.

3. I don't care whether I was upgraded (then selected a seat) or paid for F, my aisle seat is not for trading...except for another aisle seat. I don't get too bothered about row 4, though I never select it. I've said "no" a few times. If the person denied wants to grumble about it, I don't care.

4. Seat poachers are presumptuous a**holes. I'd prefer a gate page rather than having to break the bad news personally.

--mcz

Last edited by mczlaw; Sep 22, 2014 at 3:57 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Shove me unexpectedly into a window seat with no meal choice for a long flight, when I had reserved a seat which would guarantee a meal choice and easy loo access, then I become an irritable crotchety old you know what.
Do you still get crotchety when the forks bend?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Isnt this another version of DYKWIA?
Following that logic, why dont handicapped people automatically get to sit in business? They have suffered enough in life
Pretty sure it's not... handicapped are accommodated differently in their class of service. I would hope that even on an upgrade this would hold true, even if some compassion is requested of other PAX... though I guess that is exceedingly in short supply these days (did I wander back into the DL forum on accident? This is a step away from want-first-book-first...). My main point is that I would try to understand the circumstance before I rejected a request out of hand... and if it's not possible to know all the details, maybe a bit of benefit of the doubt would go a long way. If it's clear that there are no special circumstances at play then, by all means, hold on to that seat (I probably would too).

I'll concede that the OP may have legit concerns/reasons that I've never personally had to consider for not wanting to be paged by name to the desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.