Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please don't page me at the gate to ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, AS MVPG-75K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Silver, Nat EE
I switch seats in F to accommodate other passengers all time. Especially on shorter hauls up/down westcoast and I'm traveling solo on biz. Usually the passengers ask and very sweet. And even enjoy it when I can tell they don't fly alot and are very excited by the experience.

I can remember the one time I refused - from HNL to SEA on personal travel (very casual dress and I can look young w/o makeup). Was asked by FA to move from 1B to 6D. I said no, as I preferred bulkhead for personal reasons and specifically picked this seat upon booking.

She tried to argue with me that I wasnt being very nice and that since I was alone I should move to accommodate another couple. Still No. Then she tried to guilt me, saying they were older would be more comfortable in bulkhead (BTW - they looked early 60's and moved well at gate.)

Her attitude ticked me off so I held my ground. She then gave me some of the worst service experiences ever on AS for the entire flight. Later during flight when I went into the back to give a friend a magazine - she even said "you know if you had switched seats you'd be closer to coach and your friend'. Most disappointing was that I was the only 75K in F (saw passenger list posted on wall)

What she didnt know and I didnt feel I needed to share - I booked that seat so I could stretch out my leg bc I had ACL surgery couple months earlier and my knee got stiff.

The irony was a month later I flew with her again. This time from SEA to HNL for business - had a meeting upon landing so better dressed no flipflops. She was very wecoming, made fuss about me being only 75K on whole plane and entire flight was overly chatty.

Right before landing I let her know that I remembered flying with her the previous month. She said - "Are you sure I would have remembered you". Told the story and she got really quiet. Boy did I enjoy the look on her face.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by UFgatorgal
I switch seats in F to accommodate other passengers all time. Especially on shorter hauls up/down westcoast and I'm traveling solo on biz. Usually the passengers ask and very sweet. And even enjoy it when I can tell they don't fly alot and are very excited by the experience.

I can remember the one time I refused - from HNL to SEA on personal travel (very casual dress and I can look young w/o makeup). Was asked by FA to move from 1B to 6D. I said no, as I preferred bulkhead for personal reasons and specifically picked this seat upon booking.

She tried to argue with me that I wasnt being very nice and that since I was alone I should move to accommodate another couple. Still No. Then she tried to guilt me, saying they were older would be more comfortable in bulkhead (BTW - they looked early 60's and moved well at gate.)

Her attitude ticked me off so I held my ground. She then gave me some of the worst service experiences ever on AS for the entire flight. Later during flight when I went into the back to give a friend a magazine - she even said "you know if you had switched seats you'd be closer to coach and your friend'. Most disappointing was that I was the only 75K in F (saw passenger list posted on wall)

What she didnt know and I didnt feel I needed to share - I booked that seat so I could stretch out my leg bc I had ACL surgery couple months earlier and my knee got stiff.

The irony was a month later I flew with her again. This time from SEA to HNL for business - had a meeting upon landing so better dressed no flipflops. She was very wecoming, made fuss about me being only 75K on whole plane and entire flight was overly chatty.

Right before landing I let her know that I remembered flying with her the previous month. She said - "Are you sure I would have remembered you". Told the story and she got really quiet. Boy did I enjoy the look on her face.
She tried to downgrade you from F to Y? If so, that's a load of equine fecal matter and I would have let AS know about it afterwards.

Even if she didn't try to downgrade, it's still equine fecal matter if she singled you out like that.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
LOL!
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mr_sparky
Not to be the contrarian, but I'd much rather have a AS staff person make this request of me (either the FA or the gate agent) as opposed to another passenger. It's a lot easier to explain why I don't want to move to an employee as opposed to a high strung passenger who is emotionally invested in where they site.

My only concern about gate announcements is that I'm probably not going to be at the gate much in advance of when it's time to board, so I'm not sure how effective of a communication strategy this even is.
The other side of this is that people might feel less free to say no to a GA or FA. It could seem like they would risk being considered as refusing to obey a crew member. Some people would feel more like they can say no when a fellow passenger asks.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by ANC
+1 . Thats what always irritates me about the whole we been upgraded but cant sit together stuff. Your still 10 or 20 feet away I think you will be fine for 3 to 5 hours. Nor do I like the idea that because someone is traveling alone that their revenue and seat choice is less relevant
True. Whenever I am advised that there are no two seats together in F, I always tell the agent not to worry about it as we live together so we'll survive a few hours apart.

For those that I find having involuntarily moved me by occupying my seat, I announce that I did not know my seat came with a complimentary companion and notify the FA that I will need a seat belt extension as I proceed to sit on their lap.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 11:54 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by Chugach
If I'm by myself, I usually don't care too much if I'm in F. Case in point, I flew LAX-ANC in June, booked 2C months in advance. Board, get settled, and a FA asks if I would be OK with 3A so that two newlyweds on their way to honeymoon in Alaska could sit next to each other. I'd rather have the aisle on a five hour flight, but I somehow survived the window seat and the FA fawned over me a little more than usual. I lived to tell about it.
Why in almost all cases do they all ask to go upfront, never to back?

Or was 3B asked to change and the pax had denied?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Bra... va.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

hmm she asked you to sit in coach? Or was this a DL 757?
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat

If I was you I probably would've written to AS about it.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:24 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I'd tell them "sit together in Y, or a few seats away in F, the choice is up to you"
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

No offense, but I believe a FA would ask you to switch seats, but I have a hard time believing they would ask you to give up your first class seat and take a bulkhead in coach. If so, that FA should have been reported immediately.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
For those who don't want their name paged I take it you never fly standby?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 5:58 pm

OK, I'll flame you.

What's the big deal about being paged and asked? I understand that some people are so self important that being asked to switch seats is a life altering drama, but to be so important that even being paged and asked is thread worthy is... well... you must have a pretty charmed life (and/or enormous ego) if this is a problem for you! Just, you know, say no if you don't want to switch. Then shuffle back over to stand by the boarding area so everyone can know that you're in first class (and thus very important). Maybe fondle your FF card so everyone can see it. Talk loudly into your bluetooth. You know... all that stuff. Just be sure not to be a decent, polite human being or have any respect for those around you. It would take a LOT of nerve for someone to expect that of you.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by 33teeth
OK, I'll flame you.

What's the big deal about being paged and asked? I understand that some people are so self important that being asked to switch seats is a life altering drama, but to be so important that even being paged and asked is thread worthy is... well... you must have a pretty charmed life (and/or enormous ego) if this is a problem for you! Just, you know, say no if you don't want to switch. Then shuffle back over to stand by the boarding area so everyone can know that you're in first class (and thus very important). Maybe fondle your FF card so everyone can see it. Talk loudly into your bluetooth. You know... all that stuff. Just be sure not to be a decent, polite human being or have any respect for those around you. It would take a LOT of nerve for someone to expect that of you.
Really?

That is a flame, but it's a bit much for someone with 34 posts on a board that historically treats folks pretty nice.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 33teeth
OK, I'll flame you.

What's the big deal about being paged and asked? I understand that some people are so self important that being asked to switch seats is a life altering drama, but to be so important that even being paged and asked is thread worthy is... well... you must have a pretty charmed life (and/or enormous ego) if this is a problem for you! Just, you know, say no if you don't want to switch. Then shuffle back over to stand by the boarding area so everyone can know that you're in first class (and thus very important). Maybe fondle your FF card so everyone can see it. Talk loudly into your bluetooth. You know... all that stuff. Just be sure not to be a decent, polite human being or have any respect for those around you. It would take a LOT
of nerve for someone to expect that of you.
Thanks for the flame! I was waiting for one of these. I'm not self-important. I'm pretty easy going while I travel, and after 2+ million BIS miles, I roll with the punches pretty well. I don't have a bluetooth set, and I use about 50 to 100 cell minutes per month

Hearing my name paged does 2 things - if not expecting it, it creates oh eff moments, because typically that would be the only reason to page me. And for professional reasons, I really dislike it especially on flights to/from my home airports.

I am even decent and polite enough to tell a FA that if I don't have a strong meal preference, I'll choose one but tell him/her that if you run out of it and someone else wants it, I'll take the other.

Shove me unexpectedly into a window seat with no meal choice for a long flight, when I had reserved a seat which would guarantee a meal choice and easy loo access, then I become an irritable crotchety old you know what.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.