Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Did anyone purchase a seat on the new SEA-DTW that actually WANTS to go to DTW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LwoodY2K
What date are you flying?

jchilders September 24, 2014 DTW RT

1stclassFashion, su9062, kyunbit, redtigeriii September 27, 2014 DTW RT

1stclassFashion September 30, 2014 DTW RT

jchilders October 1, 2014 DTW RT

su9062 October 4, 2014 DTW RT

su9062 October 7, 2014 DTW RT

su9062 October 8, 2014 DTW RT

PDXPremier +1 October 10, 2014 DTW RT

WikiHNL, su9062, kyunbit, LauraBlum, charliew24, Mr_Tudball, kwl747 October 11, 2014 DTW RT

dave1013 + 1 October 12, 2014 SEA-DTW

1stclassFashion October 14, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 15, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 16, 2014 DTW RT

dgreen12, United757 October 18, 2014 DTW RT

dave1013 + 1 October 19, 2014 DTW-SEA

beckoa October 21, 2014 DTW RT

United757 October 23, 2014 DTW RT

redtigeriii October 25, 2014 SEA-DTW

dave1013, the42ndstate+1 October 25, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 26, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 27, 2014 DTW RT, redtigeriii DTW-SEA

United757, redtigeriii. pjleitch October 28, 2014 DTW RT

redtigeriii, pjleitch October 29, 2014 DTW RT

United757 October 30, 2014 DTW RT

SamuelS October 31, 2014 DTW RT,

uaflr Oct. 31 SEA-DTW RT
Print Wikipost

Did anyone purchase a seat on the new SEA-DTW that actually WANTS to go to DTW?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
One of my three trips is not an "out-and-back" trip. Staying for a week, visiting family and also Toronto.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
The in-flight magazine makes it sound like a really great place to visit.

I said to my husband "we should go there".
Superb art museum (Detroit Institute of Arts), Henry Ford Museum (part of "The Henry Ford"), Greektown, easy access to Windsor, Canada (just a bridge or a tunnel away), Ford Rouge Factory Tour (after retooling this month, watch F-150s being made), plus a whole lot more.

Override your husband. Where GM is isn't that exciting, but the rest of Detroit has a lot to offer.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Superb art museum (Detroit Institute of Arts), ...
Well... some other city MAY have a superb art museum soon
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

How was the inaugural? (well I would of been using the 'bucket system' for a few months )
I was on the inaugural. It was fine. Motown cover band at the gate, t-shirts for passengers, and an Aretha Franklin lookalike at the gate. On the other end, there was cake, and several speeches. The Wayne County Airport official spoke of the O&D traffic between Detroit and Alaska, and the superior connections this will provide.

The ribbon was cut by a 75K who flew out and back the same day. She was in the back on the outbound and in F on the way back. I was across the aisle from her both legs.

North Terminal doesn't look horrendous. It is somewhat spacious. Nice to not have to deal with the hub-like crowds of MacNamara terminal
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
I was on the inaugural. It was fine. Motown cover band at the gate, t-shirts for passengers, and an Aretha Franklin lookalike at the gate. On the other end, there was cake, and several speeches. The Wayne County Airport official spoke of the O&D traffic between Detroit and Alaska, and the superior connections this will provide.

The ribbon was cut by a 75K who flew out and back the same day. She was in the back on the outbound and in F on the way back. I was across the aisle from her both legs.

North Terminal doesn't look horrendous. It is somewhat spacious. Nice to not have to deal with the hub-like crowds of MacNamara terminal
So was the meal service from DTW-SEA standard trans con service as predicted? Kinda surprised that Alaskaair.com still shows no meal in either cabin even though the route has already started.

For the majority of us who are doing quick turns, how long is the actual layover at DTW (my guess is about 30 min. if they start boarding by 4:50pm)....any good (quick) food options in the North terminal?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Interesting that Virgin announced DTW to LHR as a new route - Delta flies it, too. One has to wonder if this is a new relationship with DL and VS? Hmmmm.....I know it's controversial but I love BA's F on miles and would really not want to lose them as a partner for the UK and Europe. Yes, even with the fees!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by kileysmom
Interesting that Virgin announced DTW to LHR as a new route - Delta flies it, too. One has to wonder if this is a new relationship with DL and VS? Hmmmm.....I know it's controversial but I love BA's F on miles and would really not want to lose them as a partner for the UK and Europe. Yes, even with the fees!
DL has a 49% stake in VS iirc, so yeah they kind of partner
Old Sep 7, 2014, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by PDXPremier

So was the meal service from DTW-SEA standard trans con service as predicted? Kinda surprised that Alaskaair.com still shows no meal in either cabin even though the route has already started.

For the majority of us who are doing quick turns, how long is the actual layover at DTW (my guess is about 30 min. if they start boarding by 4:50pm)....any good (quick) food options in the North terminal?
Haven't been thru DTW but also interested in food options. Don't think there is any lounge for PP or BR members either.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kileysmom
DL did twice a day this past summer on DTW-LHR. VS will be picking up the second daily from DL and operating it year round. DL will be codesharing on the VS flight and offering many connections through DL. DL's relationship with VS (due to it's 49% ownership stake and ATI) is much like that with AF/KL where schedules are coordinated. VS is not a competitive threat in the slightest.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that it just opened in 2008, I'm not sure why you expected it to look horrendous. Dining/shopping options are definitely more limited than McNamara due to the significantly smaller size (26 gates vs. 121)
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Haven't been thru DTW but also interested in food options. Don't think there is any lounge for PP or BR members either.
The North Terminal doesn't have the scale of the McNamara Terminal that people may know from DL/NW connections since ~2002 at DTW. It's DTW Lite. With a long concourse (aircraft on just one side), no tram and limited moving sidewalks, end to end North Terminal is a long walk. One might want to focus on options near the AS gate (which is fairly near the center, BTW).

http://www.metroairport.com/Traveler...hTerminal.aspx
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The North Terminal doesn't have the scale of the McNamara Terminal that people may know from DL/NW connections since ~2002 at DTW. It's DTW Lite. With a long concourse (aircraft on just one side), no tram and limited moving sidewalks, end to end North Terminal is a long walk. One might want to focus on options near the AS gate (which is fairly near the center, BTW).

http://www.metroairport.com/Traveler...hTerminal.aspx
Sweet! There's a McDonalds near the Alaska gate!!!
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!

DL has a 49% stake in VS iirc, so yeah they kind of partner
Yep, I knew that but was wondering if AS is strengthening the DL partnership by feeding into DTW - just didn't say it clearly, I guess.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
So was the meal service from DTW-SEA standard trans con service as predicted?
It was a standard trans con meal.

The layover is around 40 minutes. The north terminal handles a bunch of Spirit flights and it looks sad. There were a few poor food choices. (IMO) There is a TGIF, and a Coney Dog place with employees listlessly leaning on things.

It may have been just because it was a saturday but it was fairly deserted. It is a big long corridor with oversized distances between gates. The gates themselves are too small. Poor design in my opinion, but that might have been the intent.

As someone else mentioned you have to take a bus to get to the main (much nicer) Delta terminal and reclear security, so its not a great option for feeding into the Delta network. I think this is really the place where airlines, not a part of the fortress hub, are left as token competition.

On a bright note. The FAs on my flight in both directions were great. They were either "just always great" or they on a mission of recruiting new Alaska fans. Either way it was pretty refreshing to a relatively new United convert. So strange seeing people seemingly enjoying their jobs and helping people with a smile.

Last edited by Derrico; Sep 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm Reason: Wanted to mention the FAs.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Derrico
It was a standard trans con meal.

The layover is around 40 minutes. The north terminal handles a bunch of Spirit flights and it looks sad. There were a few poor food choices. (IMO) There is a TGIF, and a Coney Dog place with employees listlessly leaning on things.

It may have been just because it was a saturday but it was fairly deserted. It is a big long corridor with oversized distances between gates. The gates themselves are too small. Poor design in my opinion, but that might have been the intent.

As someone else mentioned you have to take a bus to get to the main (much nicer) Delta terminal and reclear security, so its not a great option for feeding into the Delta network. I think this is really the place where airlines, not a part of the fortress hub, are left as token competition.
Reminds me of the DL terminal at CVG...a ghost town compared to it's days as an international hub back in the 90s....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.