Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Did anyone purchase a seat on the new SEA-DTW that actually WANTS to go to DTW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LwoodY2K
What date are you flying?

jchilders September 24, 2014 DTW RT

1stclassFashion, su9062, kyunbit, redtigeriii September 27, 2014 DTW RT

1stclassFashion September 30, 2014 DTW RT

jchilders October 1, 2014 DTW RT

su9062 October 4, 2014 DTW RT

su9062 October 7, 2014 DTW RT

su9062 October 8, 2014 DTW RT

PDXPremier +1 October 10, 2014 DTW RT

WikiHNL, su9062, kyunbit, LauraBlum, charliew24, Mr_Tudball, kwl747 October 11, 2014 DTW RT

dave1013 + 1 October 12, 2014 SEA-DTW

1stclassFashion October 14, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 15, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 16, 2014 DTW RT

dgreen12, United757 October 18, 2014 DTW RT

dave1013 + 1 October 19, 2014 DTW-SEA

beckoa October 21, 2014 DTW RT

United757 October 23, 2014 DTW RT

redtigeriii October 25, 2014 SEA-DTW

dave1013, the42ndstate+1 October 25, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 26, 2014 DTW RT

slopeboy40+1 October 27, 2014 DTW RT, redtigeriii DTW-SEA

United757, redtigeriii. pjleitch October 28, 2014 DTW RT

redtigeriii, pjleitch October 29, 2014 DTW RT

United757 October 30, 2014 DTW RT

SamuelS October 31, 2014 DTW RT,

uaflr Oct. 31 SEA-DTW RT
Print Wikipost

Did anyone purchase a seat on the new SEA-DTW that actually WANTS to go to DTW?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by PDX973
No gogo would suck. I love using it for iMessage.
I've been flying back and forth around Eastern Europe and the Middle East for the past few weeks and the lack of inflight internet really, really blows.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
46 on the F waitlist for 792 tomorrow!

I'll be in 2D. Say hey if you are so inclined!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:53 am

Wish I was in 2d. Looks like I will be in 21d unless something else magically opens up. Tall guy in black pants / green shirt in case anyone wants to say hello. not doing same day turn this time though.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I need a little propping up. I'm doing this MR this week to get MVP Gold - but now I'm reading on other threads that they're handing it out to other-airline status matches, there are so many Golds heading to DTW that they'll all be 75K, and I'm wondering if this was a really STOOPID idea to sit on planes/in airports for 16 hours in one day.

If it never improves our upgrade chances, at least we'll get the 4 Gold upgrade certs, right? And that will many times over be more than what I paid for this Detroit ticket, right?

I'm even having "going to Detroit" nightmares.

First mileage run ever, tell me it's a good idea?

Do you guys really do this all the time?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I need a little propping up. I'm doing this MR this week to get MVP Gold - but now I'm reading on other threads that they're handing it out to other-airline status matches, there are so many Golds heading to DTW that they'll all be 75K, and I'm wondering if this was a really STOOPID idea to sit on planes/in airports for 16 hours in one day.

If it never improves our upgrade chances, at least we'll get the 4 Gold upgrade certs, right? And that will many times over be more than what I paid for this Detroit ticket, right?

I'm even having "going to Detroit" nightmares.

First mileage run ever, tell me it's a good idea?

Do you guys really do this all the time?
Don't let the status match stuff scare you off...promotions come and go regardless of airline but being MVP or MVPG or 75K (the highest level you can reasonably get) will always be worth it in my book...even if you might miss an occasional upgrade or two.

With that said, the DTW EQM promotion was a no brainer as far as mileage runs go since it required no overnight hotel or rental car costs and it's a long enough flight that it nets you quite a few miles compared to the recent west coast and SLC EQM promotions....and this mileage run is small change compared to others that some of us have done....anyone remember the SEA/PDX-EWR fare on UA a few years ago where it allowed you to change planes in Peru for no extra cost? My wife and I did a mileage run from PDX-IAH-EWR-LIM-IAH-PDX and had about 3 hours in LIM....sounds crazy but we got a lot of miles for cheap $$ and enjoyed munching on junk food along the way, watching in-flight movies, and enjoying conversations that weren't interrupted by emails or phone calls. Remember, this is FlyerTalk....it's not always about the destination, it's about the journey (and how many miles you're gonna get on the way there ).
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:39 pm

Thank you.

Yeah, what I'm doing is not as bad as going to Peru.

I have no long layovers, I keep moving, the layovers are actually perfect (barring any delays).

And being last on the Gold list is still better than being first on the MVP, right?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Thank you.

Yeah, what I'm doing is not as bad as going to Peru.

I have no long layovers, I keep moving, the layovers are actually perfect (barring any delays).

And being last on the Gold list is still better than being first on the MVP, right?
Definitely!!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by redtigeriii
Wish I was in 2d. Looks like I will be in 21d unless something else magically opens up. Tall guy in black pants / green shirt in case anyone wants to say hello. not doing same day turn this time though.
I looked for you at the gate but did not see anyone matching your description.

So I boarded early, took my seat, and initiated the lookout for someone in a green shirt and black pants. Toward the end of the process, a fellow in a yellow sweater said hello to me. I made the assumption it was you. I said hello back and asked him what happened to the green shirt. I forgot the exact wording of his reply but I think it was along the lines of, "I changed my mind." I told him I'd try and send a drink back to him.

Later in the flight, I asked one of the Y FA's if she could provide a drink to the fellow in 21D. I gave her the description of the fellow in the yellow sweater. She asked me what his name was, I said I didn't know but gave her the clothing description and other features. She asked me what my name was and I told her "Dave", and that the occupant of 21D would connect the dots as I told you I'd try to get a drink to that person.

She came back 20 minutes later and said there was no one in 21D wearing a yellow sweater. She looked all over the vicinity of 21D looking for a guy in a yellow sweater and asking male pax if their name was Dave (she didn't understand when I told her that my name was Dave, not yours. Apparently we had a communication breakdown on that detail). I 'fessed up and explained I was a regular FT'er (she didn't know what that was) and that the DTW DEQM promo was a big deal with us and probably half the people on the plane were slopping away at the mileage trough for all they were worth (no disrespect intended) as the promotion was coming to an end. I told her about our exchange of last evening, that I was in 2D and you wished you were. The drink was intended to be a gesture of consolation for a fellow mileage runner. I could tell by her facial expression that she thought I had a cold solder joint on one of my printed circuit boards. She had every right to think that. I sheepishly thanked her for her efforts.

We got to DTW, deplaned, and I reboarded on 793. I got on early and saw the fellow in the yellow sweater boarding later on in the process. I said "I tried to send you a drink but the FA said the fellow in 21D was not wearing a yellow sweater". redtigeriii, I hope you will reply and fill me in on whether or not she asked you what you wanted to drink, even though you weren't wearing a yellow sweater.

Anyway, I asked the fellow in the yellow sweater where he sat on 792 and to my utter surprise, he replied, "I was sitting right behind you in 3D!" That's the second person who likely thought I was nuts. I focused on looking for redtigeriii during boarding on 792 and did not recognize that the yellow-sweatered person (who turned out to be the42ndstate) sat directly behind me. He saw the post of last night and decided to say hello to me. I leaped to the conclusion he was redtigeriii, despite the different clothing.

On the return he sat in 2D and I was in 2C. He had a sense of humor, and we both had a good laugh over this.

Once again this is what happens when you assume something.

So redtigeriii, I am sorry about the drink not getting to you! I had the best of intentions.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dave1013
I looked for you at the gate but did not see anyone matching your description.

So I boarded early, took my seat, and initiated the lookout for someone in a green shirt and black pants. Toward the end of the process, a fellow in a yellow sweater said hello to me. I made the assumption it was you. I said hello back and asked him what happened to the green shirt. I forgot the exact wording of his reply but I think it was along the lines of, "I changed my mind." I told him I'd try and send a drink back to him.

Later in the flight, I asked one of the Y FA's if she could provide a drink to the fellow in 21D. I gave her the description of the fellow in the yellow sweater. She asked me what his name was, I said I didn't know but gave her the clothing description and other features. She asked me what my name was and I told her "Dave", and that the occupant of 21D would connect the dots as I told you I'd try to get a drink to that person.

She came back 20 minutes later and said there was no one in 21D wearing a yellow sweater. She looked all over the vicinity of 21D looking for a guy in a yellow sweater and asking male pax if their name was Dave (she didn't understand when I told her that my name was Dave, not yours. Apparently we had a communication breakdown on that detail). I 'fessed up and explained I was a regular FT'er (she didn't know what that was) and that the DTW DEQM promo was a big deal with us and probably half the people on the plane were slopping away at the mileage trough for all they were worth (no disrespect intended) as the promotion was coming to an end. I told her about our exchange of last evening, that I was in 2D and you wished you were. The drink was intended to be a gesture of consolation for a fellow mileage runner. I could tell by her facial expression that she thought I had a cold solder joint on one of my printed circuit boards. She had every right to think that. I sheepishly thanked her for her efforts.

We got to DTW, deplaned, and I reboarded on 793. I got on early and saw the fellow in the yellow sweater boarding later on in the process. I said "I tried to send you a drink but the FA said the fellow in 21D was not wearing a yellow sweater". redtigeriii, I hope you will reply and fill me in on whether or not she asked you what you wanted to drink, even though you weren't wearing a yellow sweater.

Anyway, I asked the fellow in the yellow sweater where he sat on 792 and to my utter surprise, he replied, "I was sitting right behind you in 3D!" That's the second person who likely thought I was nuts. I focused on looking for redtigeriii during boarding on 792 and did not recognize that the yellow-sweatered person (who turned out to be the42ndstate) sat directly behind me. He saw the post of last night and decided to say hello to me. I leaped to the conclusion he was redtigeriii, despite the different clothing.

On the return he sat in 2D and I was in 2C. He had a sense of humor, and we both had a good laugh over this.

Once again this is what happens when you assume something.

So redtigeriii, I am sorry about the drink not getting to you! I had the best of intentions.
I did that DTW run back on Oct. 10th and upgraded using the upgrade certs since U space was available both ways....for same day runs like that, first class was almost a *must* and made the whole trip so easy and fun (especially since my wife was with me). Ok, so what did you have on the way out--the quiche or the pancakes (I had the pancakes but my wife had the quiche and after sampling it, she definitely made the better choice)....on the way back we both went with the safe choice--the ravioli....the shrimp Caesar salad was great and that's saying a lot cause in my opinion AS has a tendency to mess up salads Now if we could just get a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on the blackberry cobbler, it would have been perfect!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:53 am

This was my third and final DTW turn. I've tried them both (had the pancakes and cod yesterday). Agree on the ice cream!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I'm doing the "last call" turn on 31/Oct. Halloween special. With a connection in from Canada and another leg to LAS afterwards, it's gonna be a LOOONG day on airplanes!
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamuelS
I'm doing the "last call" turn on 31/Oct. Halloween special. With a connection in from Canada and another leg to LAS afterwards, it's gonna be a LOOONG day on airplanes!
At least you'll end somewhere fun....
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
Doing tomorrow (Tues) and again Wed from PDX. Grandma with a purple bag and yellow FT tag. No status yet, so not in BR and sitting waaaay in the back in 31A to DTW.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:14 pm

I'm also doing the turnaround tomorrow. I'll look for you, grandma, I'm a grandma, too, but I'm sitting up front (not THAT up front, row 8 ) but I'm ok with that.

So...pouring rain everywhere (all my connections), missing the 6th game of the World Series...this better be a good idea. I know we'll have lots of company, something like 35 on the upgrade waitlist, hahahha!!

I feel like I'm part of a secret club.

Oh, never mind other grandma, I'm going through SEA.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond
I am connecting in Seattle, see you there. Yes, grandmas are in on the game now, not just the young bucks. Maybe we should start our own blog?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.