Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can I change the return date on an AS award flight after the outbound flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan

Our daughter is flying to New York to interview, and we got her a Refundable Coach Award seat with our AS miles (60K miles instead of the usual 25K for a lowest level award ticket). She will need to stay longer than originally planned, but is not yet certain how much longer ( not all interviews have been scheduled).

Does she need to make the change to the return date before her outbound flight on Sept. 2, or can she change the return anytime up to the scheduled date Of that flight (currently Sept. 10)?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps I should have titled this "Time limit on changing refundable award seat" but there didn't seem to be room. All I need to know is whether she can change the date of the return flight after she takes the outbound flight, or does she have to change it before travel starts? Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by enzian
Perhaps I should have titled this "Time limit on changing refundable award seat" but there didn't seem to be room. All I need to know is whether she can change the date of the return flight after she takes the outbound flight, or does she have to change it before travel starts? Thanks.
I've changed partner awards after travel has started, so I'd imagine that you're probably fine on AS metal. I think your biggest risk is going to be that there isn't inventory coming back, but if you're paying double miles already, that's probably not going to be an issue either.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thank you! So there is no general rule against changing the return date after outbound flight has been completed? Changing withoutmpenaltymfees,,to clarify. Somehow ImthoughtnInhad read somewhere that there is, but I may be thinking of a different situation.

I am not too worried about inventory, as it has always seemed pretty good (in coach) on AS metal. One of many things I have liked about my AS miles. But I will check to be sure. She has finished college and is now job seeking so is pretty flexible with dates.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
FWIW, I've changed even partner awards mid-stream while on a stopover. Actually, the stopover was technically not legal (in SIN on a BA LAX-LHR-SIN-SYD trip) and they still let me move my SIN-SYD to a later date while I was in SIN. If they can do that, then absolutely positively you can change the return leg of a round-trip after you've already departed.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
I too have changed the return flight of an international partner award flight after commencing travel. In my case, I had already checked in for the international segment of the outbound, so the agent told me that she was unable to change it. I called back after my arrival and made the change. Other times the agent has been able to un-check me in, and make the change. So to make it easier for the agent, try to avoid making the change after checking in.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Just checking to see what types of changes are still allowed after travel begins on an AS-issued award on partner metal

A friend is returning from Asia on a Transpac F award, but currently seated in Y on the NRT-LAX leg. I assume it will be no problem to move him up to C or F if the partner opens up saver space on that flight, even as late as the day of departure?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:32 am

Just to be sure: the change fee applies, correct? Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:38 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Given that he already paid in miles for the F award and is seated in F on another leg, I do not believe a change fee would apply to move him up from Y to C or F on NRT-LAX.... He just has to have Skype on his phone and an Internet connection to call the AS partner desk from Tokyo. And as someone else noted, he should not do online checkin.

That's my assumption, but I want to confirm with folks here who have more recent experience with AS awards than I do

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.