Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines MVP & miles - best use?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Talking Alaska Airlines MVP & miles - best use?

I recently won a contest where I get 20,000 miles on Alaska Airlines and MVP status for a year. It seems like Alaska Airlines is great and that miles are redeemable across many different airlines. I don't have elite status on any other airlines although I have a lot (for me, anyway! 50-100k range) of miles banked across United, Delta, and American.

What would be the best use of these miles? Not sure whether I should use them on a domestic or foreign trip, on which airline to redeem them, etc. I don't have any trips planned right now where I need to buy airfare.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Before you "accept" your winnings, you should find out what value the contest sponsor will report to the IRS for the 20,000 miles, and determine what your federal (and state, if applicable) tax liability will be.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would begin to credit DL and AA to AS so you can grow that 20k miles. For 70k on AS you can fly one way (including a stopover) on CX F say JFK - HKG - JNB (with a stopover at HKG). For 100k you can do the same with EK F say LAX - DXB - JNB.

That's where the real value for AS is - congrats on winning the contest too!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I think this is the biggest thing that I've won so I'm super excited.

Would it be worth transferring miles to AS from DL or AA right now? Or just have future miles accrue on AS? Also, I have a trip coming up in December on AA, I've already booked with my AA mileage number - is it possible to change it at this point? I'm traveling with a companion, so would any MVP benefits extend to my companion if we're on the same AA itinerary? (We're flying JFK -- MIA -- LIR)

RE: taxes - I hadn't thought about that but they did put an ARV on the prize in the rules. So I'm guessing that's the value I'll be taxed on. Thank you for bringing that up!
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Would it be worth transferring miles to AS from DL or AA right now?"

There is no cost-effective way to do that. Future flights on AA/DL can be credited to AS by ensuring that your AS FFP number is in the reservation record. And yes, you can change the FFP number in the record up until the flight departs.

But what type of redemption do you have in mind. As noted, AS is very good for some redemptions; other FFPs are better for other types.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Might also look in to the Alaska Airlines credit card as a quick way to get 25k more miles as well as a coach companion voucher (only good on AS metal, not codeshares). No minimum spend either, just straight up 25k after approval.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/cre...signature.aspx
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Moving this thread to the airline specific forum where it is sure to get addituonal knowledgeable responses.

Note: This thread originated in the flame-free Information Desk forum. Please reply accordingly.

scoow, ID moderator
Old Jul 27, 2014, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by jennesy
I recently won a contest where I get 20,000 miles on Alaska Airlines and MVP status for a year.

What would be the best use of these miles? Not sure whether I should use them on a domestic or foreign trip, on which airline to redeem them, etc. I don't have any trips planned right now where I need to buy airfare.
Alaska allows a stopover on a 1 way award when you fly on Alaska. That's 12,500 miles. I see you're from NYC. That means you can fly EWR (Newark) to a city in Alaska, with a several day (or longer) stopover in SEA (Seattle). @:-)

They also have reduced rates on several routes within Alaska.

Welcome to Flyertalk jennesy.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:12 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Since you have miles on other carriers to get you home ....

One-way coach to Hawaii
One-way coach to Europe (AA low season)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.