Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot Pre-Flight Walk Down the Aisle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

On AS387 SFO-PDX and the pilot just walked up and down the aisle greeting each row and apologizing for a slight delay. Also gave us key flight stats.

Very nice touch and have rarely seen this from another carrier!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 pm

One time HNL-SJC pilot came out and thanked all F for flying Alaska. I was slack jawed :P
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thumbs up

Same experience for me recently on AS 39 MSP-SEA. AS has some very personable pilots. Love it.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
I too have noticed more pilots coming out to chat with FC cabin. On my flight from SEA to ORD the captain went on the intercom for the whole plane to hear (and see since there was no curtain) Nice touch
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Have seen this a couple times - a nice touch ^
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
My better half was on AS387 and indeed mentioned the same thing and what a difference in made. Said that was the pilot taking ownership of their flying product and experience in a way no other airline has.

This, among many other reasons, is why I Fly Alaska!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Years ago, I needed to store something in the front closet. One of the pilots noticed, took out his bag, saying, "YOU pay OUR salaries!"

The pilot addressed the FA cabin on my last mainline flight. Perhaps the aggressive DL poaching has the company a bit spooked?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I haven't seen more attention given aside from the occasional pilot. Still nice to see.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:01 pm

Last week LAX-YVR, the pilot came around to chat with people as well. First time I had seen that.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've seen this as well. Definitely a nice touch. If you have a pilot come out and say hi, make sure you tell them you're grading their landing.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Years ago, I needed to store something in the front closet. One of the pilots noticed, took out his bag, saying, "YOU pay OUR salaries!"
Years ago on WN, I was traveling with a rolling bag full of camera gear. I was the last sby pax cleared on and the capt saw me unpacking the gear so it didn't get checked. He told me to repack it and leave the bag in the cockpit with them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:15 pm

I've seen variations of this (PA in front of cabin, stroll through F) lately. I think it's an excellent touch.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Maybe this thread should start into a Master Thread tracking:

- which pilots are known to do this
- if certain routes are more prone to this occurring
- if there's a correlation to pilots addressing their pax and upgrade clearing
- compensation for when this doesn't happen, and how much

Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Pilot on my AA flight to ORD this morning came back to main cabin extra and showed us the route on his iPad.

Nice touch.

Edit: Other than a little bit a rough hand-stick flying out of SEA this morning, which I'll chalk up the young FO -- Fantastic captain today and I would consider him in the "1%" of those out there. Just had a really interesting briefing on our routing with updates on the "convective" activity off to our right -- 55K Ft thunderstorm cells!

Last edited by MonThruThurs; Jul 26, 2014 at 11:52 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: La Quinta Elite IHGSPIRE HH Diamond BW Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Sounds like a forum for Bigfoot sightings
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:49 pm

Lately I have seen AS captains be much more friendly and welcoming than most. But the topper for me was 10+ years ago when each F passenger received a signed "thank you" note and business card from the pilot (United). Very impressive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.