Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Can I use my discount code for friend's flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat

The Terms & Conditions of an Alaska Airlines discount code I received reads as:

Transferability: Discount Codes are issued in the name of the traveler and are not transferable. When used, the name on the Discount Code must be the purchaser and/or one of the travelers. It may not be sold, bought, bartered, auctioned or collected in bulk. Any deemed by Alaska or Horizon to have been distributed or acquired improperly will not be honored and traveler will be liable for payment of full fare.
What is the purpose of that "and"?

The truth table seems like it would be the same with or without it and I'm confused.

Can I book a flight for a friend using my credit card?

Edit: OK, one thing I could assume is that and/or is used for people that don't understand the difference between "and" and "or" and instead think "or" means "xor". So someone might assume that "purchaser or traveler" would be false if purchaser and traveler were the same person, so the legal people add an "and" despite it only being false if it was an xor.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by sthubbar
The Terms & Conditions of an Alaska Airlines discount code I received reads as:

[Prohibition on Transfer}

What is the purpose of that "and"?
Example: You purchase travel in the name of A (you) and B on a single reservation and apply the code to that reservation.

The "or" suggests you may. As a practical matter, I suspect (but don't know) that the airline doesn't care who uses the code as long as they have not acquired it from you by purchase, barter, etc.

--mcz
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Call and ask....
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by sthubbar
What the rules are stating is that if you want to apply the discount code to somebody else's travel you MUST be the purchaser by using your credit card (or other applicable payment method). These same rules apply for the companion cert.

The "and" in the T&C is superfluous.

So, to sum it up:

Good:

You pay you fly.
You pay somebody else flies.
Somebody else pays you fly.

Bad:

Somebody else pays somebody else flies.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whimike
The "and" in the T&C is superfluous.
Yeah, that's how I read it.

BTW, I'll be using your opinion in any legal proceedings that stem out of use of this discount code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.