Wiki Posts
Search

First experience with Alaska/Horizon -

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
First experience with Alaska/Horizon -

Flew last week for the first time on AS and Horizon. Mainline OAK to SEA; Horizon SEA to Bozeman; Bozeman to PDX; PDX to OAK. Operationally, everything perfect. On time departures; early arrivals; quick baggage delivery. The check in staff was good in both OAK and BZN. Nothing to complain about. Can't say the same about the gate agents and flights attendants. While everything operated fine, there was a lack of smiles or engagement that you find on Southwest. Several were surly. I thought AS service was more like Hawaiian and Jet Blue than United. Again, everything went fine, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to fly AS again for the excellent customer service that they advertise. Perhaps my expectation was too high.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:44 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
well overall they are pretty good and far above the likes most airlines. If you are used to WN though, then you may have been expecting a little too much. Did you experience this most on the AS mainline or the QX flights? I tend to find QX employees not quite as cheerful or happy as AS mainline staff. Perhaps its because the job of a QX FA is a bit more tiring or arduous, doing more segments a day, shorter flights and still trying to rush around serving a drink or snack
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I always find that one experience is gospel. That's why I don't fly Southwest. Pilots are not supposed to be comedians and flight attendants are not supposed to be entertainment professionals. I really wanted to tell them all to forget their dreams of fame and stick to their day jobs. [/sarcasm]
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by 98103
I always find that one experience is gospel. [/sarcasm]
Well, the point is about first impressions, not gospel. First impressions are hard to forget.

I do recall a BZN gate agent being quite a prize awhile back (on my one trip through there).

Fortunately, inflight crews are rarely sour, but it does happen from time to time.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I would say the "typical" AS FA is better than their mainline (UA/AA/DL) counterparts but more professional than the goofball types over at WN (and you may like goofball, but my preference is for a friendly, yet professional flight crew). I agree with the previous poster about QX FAs....they do have a somewhat arduous job in terms of segments, beverage service, etc. although it could be argued that if you played your cards right, as a QX FA, you could bid routes that don't have scheduled beverage service and you basically get to sit most of the time (PDX-RDM, SEA-EAT, SEA-YYJ, PDX-EUG, SEA-BLI, SEA-YKM, and PDX-SEA when that pesky "expected turbulence" is a factor ).
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My last flight was only a single SEA - PDX segment. The gate area was rather chaotic right up to the scheduled boarding time, as though the agent were overwhelmed, when really he wasn't (or so it seems to me afterwards). The FA was okay, not exactly oozing friendliness, but not surly either. We did get a drink service (beer or chardonnay).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
My last flight was only a single SEA - PDX segment. The gate area was rather chaotic right up to the scheduled boarding time, as though the agent were overwhelmed, when really he wasn't (or so it seems to me afterwards). The FA was okay, not exactly oozing friendliness, but not surly either. We did get a drink service (beer or chardonnay).
I think this is partially a function of the gate layout for the SEA QX flights... my last SEA-PDX changed gates 5 times in a matter of 60 minutes including 10 minutes before the scheduled boarding time and once after the scheduled boarding time. The flight boarded 45 min late but only took off 20 min late and arrived only 10 min late. Some breathing room between gates and fewer gate changes (especially since each gate serves 3-6 planes anyway) would go a long way towards making the SEA QX gate experience better.

There's not much you can do with the in-flight experience given the length of the flight and the limitations of the Q400 (no true galley, not even a sink in the lav, etc) and the FAs are extremely stressed to do even a limited drink service in such a short turn. Being able to leave my coat on the hanger during takeoff/landing in 1B/2C would be about the only change I could personally ask for, but I understand why (especially for 2C, not so much for 1B).
Old Jul 22, 2014, 1:37 pm

My experience with both Alaska and Horizon is that there is a HUGE variance but overall no better/worse than Southwest. I DO like the fact that on AS if you are an elite flyer you are acknowledged and often thanked when they bring the beer 'n booze cart. And I had the pilot come out to talk to the first class passengers before a flight recently on AS - nice touch. If I was forced to, I'd rank them 1. Alaska 2. Southwest 3. Horizon. BTW, I love the fireplaces at the Bozeman Airport - THAT's a nice touch.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
Recently I experienced some outstanding QX gate service. Just arrived HGK-YVR on CX and the next segment was YVR-SEA in a few hours.

When I got to the gate area I saw that the prior flight was delayed and about to leave in a few minutes, so beer in hand I wandered over to the gate and asked the agent it I could hop on that flight. Seat 1A was open so that part was good. The challenge was getting by checked baggage to go with me. She got on the phone and we described by bag to the ramp guy who then went on a mission to find it. At the last minute he called back with bag in hand. All the rush caused a lot of extra button pushing on the computer for the agent. In the end, I was last to board just before push back. Every step of this hurry up drama was done with a smile and positive attitude.

Thanks QX!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tod701
Recently I experienced some outstanding QX gate service. Just arrived HGK-YVR on CX and the next segment was YVR-SEA in a few hours.

When I got to the gate area I saw that the prior flight was delayed and about to leave in a few minutes, so beer in hand I wandered over to the gate and asked the agent it I could hop on that flight. Seat 1A was open so that part was good. The challenge was getting by checked baggage to go with me. She got on the phone and we described by bag to the ramp guy who then went on a mission to find it. At the last minute he called back with bag in hand. All the rush caused a lot of extra button pushing on the computer for the agent. In the end, I was last to board just before push back. Every step of this hurry up drama was done with a smile and positive attitude.

Thanks QX!
Same thing sans checked bag at SFO. Got off of HKG - SFO, was through customs in minutes (thanks global entry!) and was able to change my award to catch an earlier flight home.

Personally, I've never had an experience that's below WN or the legacies in terms of AS/QX and FAs/Pilots. In fact, I would prefer not to fly WN because sometimes kitschy nature of the crew and pax.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
not to mention WN's current OT% is fairly abysmal, while AS is routinely recognized as one of the more reliable airlines...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.